The "R U OK ?" Thread

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Medical Update - I saw my Haematologist yesterday, with largely positive news.

I am halfway through my Chemo treatment, and they reckon my body is already clear of the Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Full course of Chemo to continue, to be sure.

In relation to my Leukemia, the blood tests are now indicating that the CML effected cells is down to 3%. It was 15%, the last time I was told a result and 55% the time before. They want it under 1% before getting too excited. But the downward trend is positive. So current treatment continues.

I also got the results from the Endoscopy and Colonoscopy from a few weeks ago. All clear of anything serious. Only a couple of Hemorrhoids and some indication of Diverticula. Earlier in the year, I had two bouts of black poop (an indication of internal bleeding), a couple of months apart. Both times I had overdone the Nurofen, when in extreme pain. The first time caused by bursitis and tendonitis in the shoulder. The second time, from a broken and badly infected tooth. Both times, it stopped when I stopped using Nurofen. A timely reminder to be cautious about self-medicating.

My white blood cells are still very low, but this is viewed as a natural side effect of the Chemo, as well as the Leukemia treatment. The Chemo sessions more recently are knocking me around worse than earlier sessions. But, given it seems to be working, I'll grin and bear it.

The fight continues, but some good news is very welcome for my morale. I want to thank everyone for the support, kind gestures, public and private messages, thoughts and prayers. This has really helped sustain me, during a very difficult time, while fighting two cancers at once.
Great news BW. Hope that the last 3% of the leukaemia is gone with the other 52% soon. I don't know how I'd cope with the struggles life has handed you. But I can't recall a single post you've made where you sounded sorry for yourself mate. Best of luck with the following treatments. Hope you get the all clear pretty soon.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great news BW. Hope that the last 3% of the leukaemia is gone with the other 52% soon. I don't know how I'd cope with the struggles life has handed you. But I can't recall a single post you've made where you sounded sorry for yourself mate. Best of luck with the following treatments. Hope you get the all clear pretty soon.
Thank you. I think it was around 96% or 98%, or something ridiculous, when first diagnosed. They reckon it will take 6 to 12 months of treatment, to be certain the Leukemia is definitely being beaten. As long as it doesn't mutate, or jump to the next stage. In any case. best case scenario is I probably remain on the basic medication for the rest of my life. A pill a day isn't so bad. Once the Hodgkin's Chemo treatment is over, I should be able to function a lot better, and just dealing with the Leukemia will be somewhat easier physically, and less stressful.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That surgery sounds horrific just to think about. Without concrete knowledge of how long you might have left before the rest of your sight deteriorated without the surgery it's a difficult decision.

For what it's worth, I work at a nursing home where a lady close to 90 years old has dropped down to around 15% vision in the last year and a half from having decent vision when I began working there (she gets blood clots in some part of her eyes). She apparently just sees dark outlines now. But she's learning to cope with it. She's learned to count her steps and makes it to and from the dining room unassisted in her late 80's. I used to work at another nursing home where one of the most active ladies there had lost her sight at about 75. She was 97 back when I worked there and walked more laps than just about anyone there. Their positive outlook is inspiring to me and has at times made me feel like a weak bitch when I feel depressed.

So in short, I know the prognosis of potentially losing your sight is horrible, I don't know how much it scares you, but life does go on if you have a fighting spirit with it.

I'm not going to offer advice on going through with the surgery. I will say I hope you find some strength moving forward with whatever choice you make though. Good luck with it either way.
Thanks mate for sharing your comments. To be honest I do that now, started counting the steps from bedroom to bathroom.
Learning to "feel" your way is important, so I am starting to do those things while I can still see.
i am doing ok now, just some mornings the vision is blurry when I wake

eye pressure rises when you sleep, so on some occasions that is why some can wake up blind.
The eye pressure will be so high it can break the nerves

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thank you. I think it was around 96% or 98%, or something ridiculous, when first diagnosed. They reckon it will take 6 to 12 months of treatment, to be certain the Leukemia is definitely being beaten. As long as it doesn't mutate, or jump to the next stage. In any case. best case scenario is I probably remain on the basic medication for the rest of my life. A pill a day isn't so bad. Once the Hodgkin's Chemo treatment is over, I should be able to function a lot better, and just dealing with the Leukemia will be somewhat easier physically, and less stressful.
Thanks mate for sharing your comments. To be honest I do that now, started counting the steps from bedroom to bathroom.
Learning to "feel" your way is important, so I am starting to do those things while I can still see.

eye pressure rises when you sleep, so on some occasions that is why some can wake up blind.
Let's all be "well enough" for round 1 win next year!

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's all be "well enough" for round 1 win next year!
With some degree of renewed optimism, I have started buying Bulldogs gear and merch again. I want to put it to good use, so the team better WIN. I refuse to shuffle off the planet, until there's another Premiership (or two, or three or more). :hearteyes:

Last edited:

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies for word salad. Needed to get this shot out of my head

Found out today that because the wife has no fucking idea how to pay bills or budget.
I pay all the bills out of my wages do not ask her for 1$.
because I don't share the household bills with her I am a financial abuser.
Add that to the list of I am an arsehole checkboxes.
Find out all of this after I turn down a job offer to ensure her and the kids dont have to move interstate and interupt school and her internship... fuck my life

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Found out today that because the wife has no fucking idea how to pay bills or budget.
Find out all of this after I turn down a job offer to ensure her and the kids dont have to move interstate and interupt school and her internship... fuck my life
I'm sorry.... financial abuser? The fuck is that shit?

Being an ATM for a chick is abuse now?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Bloody hell..

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just want to give a big thank you to the people who posted comments. You cant believe how it feels to get messages of support.
The headaches are increasing and my vision in my left eye is more burry then before , So I will be seeing eye Dr in the new year.

I just want to wish everyone a Happy and Safe Christmas, enjoy some good food, laughter and music and wishing everyone all the best for 2023.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just want to give a big thank you to the people who posted comments. You cant believe how it feels to get messages of support.
The headaches are increasing and my vision in my left eye is more burry then before , So I will be seeing eye Dr in the new year.

I just want to wish everyone a Happy and Safe Christmas, enjoy some good food, laughter and music and wishing everyone all the best for 2023.
Same to you mate..hope you can fix this stuff up.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Best wishes to you too Dogsville. Hope you can get those eyeballs fixed very soon...you'll be needin' them for all the Entertainer tries and Dogs of War defence next year :grinning:

Last edited:

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Merry Christmas to you and your family my bro.

You are still in my prayers, hopefully relief is just around the corner.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Have a very Merry Christmas mate and I wish you good health in 2023 and for the years ahead. I hope everything gets sorted for you.