The "R U OK ?" Thread

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There's a large spectrum of Autism from low functioning to high functioning. The high functioning (Aspergers) tend to be really good at certain things including maths and engineering. The low functioning have difficulty communicating at all.

It's a social disorder primarily but for many Autistic children a big part of the disorder is that they take in everything. It's like being constantly bombarded by everything that's going on around you. We generally phase it all out and focus on one thing where they tend to have everything coming in at the same time. It's like trying to listen to 10 different radio stations at a time.

Often Autistic children have an obsessive focus on something. They could find something like a cup to be the most interesting thing in the world.

These are just two aspects of it and there are a lot of other things involved but when you combine the two of these it can be very difficult to communicate but can lead to amazing focus and creativeness. There are many Autistic people that have gone on to become rocket scientists and inventors of amazing things. There's also the savants that become musical geniuses or famous artists.

Problem is that it's a low percentage. Most Autistic people suffer the social disorder aspect without the savant/genius aspect, but the fortunate thing is that if you diagnose it early, the correct education and focus on the child can lead to a healthy life and a good functioning adult.

I have a fair few friends with Autistic children and it can be very difficult and sometimes very decorative to the walls with a certain brown coloured paint (never understood the obsession with this but many love doing it)

The disorder is a lot more common than people expect too. It's estimated that 1 in 100 people have it but that includes the people who are so high functioning that they could go through their whole lives without realising anything is wrong.
Well said mate

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Being a former secondary teacher..This is one of the big things people forget.. Society gets obsessed with grades and academic achievements..but sometimes just getting a kid to school..on time..dressed properly..constructively participating in class..when they never used to..is a MASSIVE achievement..

Kids come from different backgrounds..some find the academic part easier then others..I must stress that doesn't mean some kids are dumb (horrible label) but just have to work a little harder then some others.. Alternatively some find other parts of school..sport, drama, art easier to adapt too..and the same as the academic side some have to work a little harder to reach the level others can..

Overall school..yes has its academic side..but it's also about developing the human being as well..and this isn't measured out of 100.. Here's a simple example.. I was given a P.E. class..even though I wasn't trained as a P.E. teacher..anyway there was a kid in it who wasn't athletically 'gifted'.. He would always 'forget' his P.E. Gear..you could tell he didn't want to participate.. It went on for a while..then one day he did bring it.. It was pretty funny because I used to look at him to see if he brought his gear..when he saw me he raised it above his head like a trophy..the class..and myself..as one..all cheered.. The smile on his face was huge..and this kid never smiled.. He ended up having a good time..

Things like this makes me miss teaching..but highlights that school is not just about grades..it's also about developing the human being..helping them realise that they are worthwhile and they have something good and valuable to contribute to this world..

Oh so true. If every one is this big old world were super smart would it necessarily mean it is a better world?

So true that a person is more than just intelligence, some of the greatest artists musicians in the world were scholastically challenged.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
[/B]

Oh so true. If every one is this big old world were super smart would it necessarily mean it is a better world?

So true that a person is more than just intelligence, some of the greatest artists musicians in the world were scholastically challenged.
Absolutely.. Give me a kind, gentle, compassionate person over a nasty genius any day..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There's a large spectrum of Autism from low functioning to high functioning. The high functioning (Aspergers) tend to be really good at certain things including maths and engineering. The low functioning have difficulty communicating at all.

It's a social disorder primarily but for many Autistic children a big part of the disorder is that they take in everything. It's like being constantly bombarded by everything that's going on around you. We generally phase it all out and focus on one thing where they tend to have everything coming in at the same time. It's like trying to listen to 10 different radio stations at a time.

Often Autistic children have an obsessive focus on something. They could find something like a cup to be the most interesting thing in the world.

These are just two aspects of it and there are a lot of other things involved but when you combine the two of these it can be very difficult to communicate but can lead to amazing focus and creativeness. There are many Autistic people that have gone on to become rocket scientists and inventors of amazing things. There's also the savants that become musical geniuses or famous artists.

Problem is that it's a low percentage. Most Autistic people suffer the social disorder aspect without the savant/genius aspect, but the fortunate thing is that if you diagnose it early, the correct education and focus on the child can lead to a healthy life and a good functioning adult.

I have a fair few friends with Autistic children and it can be very difficult and sometimes very decorative to the walls with a certain brown coloured paint (never understood the obsession with this but many love doing it)

The disorder is a lot more common than people expect too. It's estimated that 1 in 100 people have it but that includes the people who are so high functioning that they could go through their whole lives without realising anything is wrong.
Thanks for the info brother. My friends boy can tell you every Commodore made and what year it was on the market. He is amazing.

Im a softy when it comes to sick/unwell children. They break my heart.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Just a quick drop in to say the following ...

(a) Thanks : Thanks for reading, contributing, advising, confiding, sharing ,caring and bringin' the lulz. I've dropped by twice since this little shit storm erupted, and it's helped me to keep my head screwed on in a time of heightened emotions.

(b) Regarding our circumstance with the neighbours accusations, as reported earlier we undertook a vigorous investigation that satisfies our moral requirements, and I delivered the findings to the neighbours myself a couple of days after my original posts (to prevent the wife from getting emotional and all) ... frankly, I got the impression it got met with a grain of salt, nonetheless we all agree segregating the children is best and as far as we're concerned we consider the issue dead. We're willing and open to assist with any future conversations that need to be had. The wife has lingering feelings about who thinks what, and who might say what, but as for me I couldn't give a flying f*ck.

We remain resolute that as they continue to encounter 'issues' for various reasons we simply wont be part of the equation any longer, and in time they'll realise perhaps our house isn't the convenient hook for blame they think it is.

(c) This thread is worth it's weight in gold ..... I couldn't go to Facebook, or Twitter .... despite our efforts it was becoming a point of conflict between me and the wife. I really needed this space to decompress.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just a quick drop in to say the art of the equation any longer, and in time they'll realise perhaps our house isn't the convenient hook for blame they think it is.

(c) This thread is worth it's weight in gold ..... I couldn't go to Fakebook, or Twitter .... despite our efforts it was becoming a point of conflict between me and the wife. I really needed this space to decompress.
We're here for you CK ..Your kids are in good hands with a dad like you :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We're here for you CK ..Your kids are in good hands with a dad like you :grinning:
CK is an absolute top bloke... have met him before..

I'll let him see if he wants to explain the circumstances around how we met though as I'm sure the way I phrase it will sound COMPLETELY disturbing LOL.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CK is an absolute top bloke... have met him before..

I'll let him see if he wants to explain the circumstances around how we met though as I'm sure the way I phrase it will sound COMPLETELY disturbing LOL.
I'd love to hear it

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ok .. first time I met him...

Was to take pictures of him and other randoms ... with no pants on..

Twas for the Sydney No Pants Ride and I was one of the 'pap photographers' for the event.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok .. first time I met him...

Was to take pictures of him and other randoms ... with no pants on..

Twas for the Sydney No Pants Ride and I was one of the 'pap photographers' for the event.
What were they riding??

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just a quick drop in to say the following ...

(a) Thanks : Thanks for reading, contributing, advising, confiding, sharing ,caring and bringin' the lulz. I've dropped by twice since this little shit storm erupted, and it's helped me to keep my head screwed on in a time of heightened emotions.

(b) Regarding our circumstance with the neighbours accusations, as reported earlier we undertook a vigorous investigation that satisfies our moral requirements, and I delivered the findings to the neighbours myself a couple of days after my original posts (to prevent the wife from getting emotional and all) ... frankly, I got the impression it got met with a grain of salt, nonetheless we all agree segregating the children is best and as far as we're concerned we consider the issue dead. We're willing and open to assist with any future conversations that need to be had. The wife has lingering feelings about who thinks what, and who might say what, but as for me I couldn't give a flying f*ck.

We remain resolute that as they continue to encounter 'issues' for various reasons we simply wont be part of the equation any longer, and in time they'll realise perhaps our house isn't the convenient hook for blame they think it is.

(c) This thread is worth it's weight in gold ..... I couldn't go to Facebook, or Twitter .... despite our efforts it was becoming a point of conflict between me and the wife. I really needed this space to decompress.
So... no cage match then?

Damn, I'll have to refund all bets.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
See had I not have added in the No Pants Ride bit, everyone would have been like "WTF!!!"

No Pants Train Ride!
That's the one.

Being one of the 'pap' photographers for the event meant waiting at certain areas where "the pantsless" would depart from trains/etc, to capture public reaction and the day.

Photographers (or at least this one) remained with pants all day.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't take it to personal he was probably stressed as well, by Monday it would of blown over and no one will remember. If there still is tension on Monday and he is carrying on punch him in the dick in front of your colleagues