The "R U OK ?" Thread

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've tried different anti depression pills before and found none that actually worked well for me.

I'm feeling a bit better as the week has gone on. Except for yesterday I smashed my phone screen by accident and fractured my hand so that sucks. When your lucks out it's out ain't it.

they are rubbish.. They are detrimental even if they do work.. if they don't give side effects they just end up making you feel dependant... I know it's stating the obvious but clean eating, exercise and being productive is always the way forward... I know it's difficult to have a schedule when you're out of work because I was unemployed for a long time dealing with anxiety and panic disorder... I used to sleep in till near midday and then just kinda float about... then I started doing free/cheap courses on Udemy, as well as free tutorials on YouTube and Google to build on my former studies of graphic design/marketing and now have work lined up in web development for the next few months at least..

Hopefully you're not out of work for anywhere near as long as I have been at different points... I know it's hard at this time of year given that job listings slow down, but ya never know.. worst case it will pick up again after Christmas!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
they are rubbish.. They are detrimental even if they do work.. if they don't give side effects they just end up making you feel dependant... I know it's stating the obvious but clean eating, exercise and being productive is always the way forward... I know it's difficult to have a schedule when you're out of work because I was unemployed for a long time dealing with anxiety and panic disorder... I used to sleep in till near midday and then just kinda float about... then I started doing free/cheap courses on Udemy, as well as free tutorials on YouTube and Google to build on my former studies of graphic design/marketing and now have work lined up in web development for the next few months at least..

Hopefully you're not out of work for anywhere near as long as I have been at different points... I know it's hard at this time of year given that job listings slow down, but ya never know.. worst case it will pick up again after Christmas!
That's why I gave up the ciggies, started exercising, walking, working out, changed up my diet even though that's only been in the last 3 months I was feeling better for it. Now you can add no alcohol to the list. I'm trying to still stay active by working out even though my energy levels are quite low at the moment.

I say December will be a write off for finding work and probably majority of January but hopefully I can get something by then. To be honest a couple of months off working won't hurt me as i think I need some time out after working 4 years straight without any holidays or sick days. Might just need the break to re-energize and refocus. I'll still be applying for work though during that time.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's why I gave up the ciggies, started exercising, walking, working out, changed up my diet even though that's only been in the last 3 months I was feeling better for it. Now you can add no alcohol to the list. I'm trying to still stay active by working out even though my energy levels are quite low at the moment.

I say December will be a write off for finding work and probably majority of January but hopefully I can get something by then. To be honest a couple of months off working won't hurt me as i think I need some time out after working 4 years straight without any holidays or sick days. Might just need the break to re-energize and refocus. I'll still be applying for work though during that time.
Take yourself on a cheap trip somewhere

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I posted this to MatstaDogg in PM, but will share it here.

This video explains the various parts of the limbic system and emotional control of the brain.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...brain/emotion-lesson/v/emotions-limbic-system

Often we look at the emotional side of anxiety/depression, or we feel it, but do we REALLY understand it? By this I mean understanding the body, the brain, and how everything is connected on a chemical, an emotional, and a physical level.

Whilst CBT and Exposure therapy seems to be the rage these days, and that enables psychiatrists to focus on giving you tools to make you better (and medication can help in some circumstances), the ability to understand how everything is connected, and counteract things yourself immensely powerful.

I'm just about to start reading Alex Korbs "The Upwards Spiral" over christmas, which highlights and talks through things like the above (i.e how everything is connected), and uses those connections to highlight and retrain your brain. Even comes with a workbook to pinpoint specifics.

Purely for examples sake: Lets say when depressed you realise a chemical in the brain called SADSHIT. But there's also a chemical called HAPPYTIME. HAPPYTIME counteracts SADSHIT, and can be generated by running / exercise. Hence when you start to feel depressed, a quick run outside, or short exercise, can boost HAPPYTIME, and hold off a depressive episode.

Many psychs are just starting to touch on this side of mental health working with leading neuroscientists/neurologists, as they further unlock parts of the brain and their functions/functionality.

I honestly believe this is the next BIG thing in mental health and awareness.

Mate take Southy's advice go see your GP, I did 8 weeks ago for the very same issues. Best thing I could of done... Now on meds and feeling 100% I found talking helped heaps so keep dialling into this place and don't think you are alone because at the very least you have your Kennel family to look out for you (that should drive anyone crazy).
Medication is funny, as it targets the brains chemicals (mood inhibitors). I was on them a few decades ago. At first I was like "these things aren't doing shit", but was unaware the way they were helping. That said it can be tricky getting the right dosages and medication, as everyone is different.

I'm feeling a bit better as the week has gone on. Except for yesterday I smashed my phone screen by accident and fractured my hand so that sucks. When your lucks out it's out ain't it.
That's the way. They say "time heals everything", and honestly I can tell you that's so true. Do things on your own time, because only YOU know when you'll feel right getting back into the workforce.

Re the phone and hand... ouch... get well soon with the hand. Sometimes you just have to laugh though.

In the end you are like "lets just get all this shit out at once so I can move on".

You know what... maybe take some time off. 4 years is normally my threshold (and then normally I do one massive month long holiday).

Spend Dec and Jan getting yourself in a good headspace and resetting from all the shit that's happened recently.

Sites like luxuryescapes.com.au, and places like that really offer some great deals. All depends if you want to sit on a beach on a tropical island all inclusive and chill out, or be doing things on a holiday, or even a cruise. Heck even areas of Australia are stunning to visit.

I keep getting ads for Fiji Airways .. $650 AUD return from Sydney (Flights Only)... for example.

Or drive to Qld, rent out a chalet in Springbrook, and check out some of the absolutely stunning waterfalls in Springbrook NP.

Endless possibilities.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Nice one.. I've never been a smoker myself but have heard it's not easy to quit... figure working out and all that stuff would have helped keep your mind busy... man the best thing I ever did was quit drinking..still have the very odd drink, usually unplanned..... but yeah I used to hate waking up hung over and just being a piece of crap all day waiting to sleep it off haha

yeah fuckit.... it's holiday time.. things will fall into place after..... that's a solid effort! what was that all about? you just didn't want to take the time off? I remember at one of my old jobs I used to hate asking for days off.. but I took a fair few off for hang ova's and other shenanigans lol

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
@Howard Moon
Thanks for mentioning bipolar disorder yesterday.
Ive searching yesterday and today, researching it and I am certain I have it.

I tick every box on the manic and depressive side!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bit of a tough one yesterday as a mate of mine, who him and his family are like family to me has unfortunately passed away. He had been battling cancer but his fight came to an end. He was only 33 and has left behind a young wife and 4 kids. Right now I just feel for his wife and kids.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bit of a tough one yesterday as a mate of mine, who him and his family are like family to me has unfortunately passed away. He had been battling cancer but his fight came to an end. He was only 33 and has left behind a young wife and 4 kids. Right now I just feel for his wife and kids.
Gees mate.... life really is giving you a hard time at the moment. Thoughts are with your mates friends and family during this difficult time.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gees mate.... life really is giving you a hard time at the moment. Thoughts are with your mates friends and family during this difficult time.
To be honest I'm used to it. My life has been hard since I came out the womb but I'm also stronger for it. Cheers mate.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Feel for you buddy, I guess the best thing you can do is just be there for them and tell them that you know what they're going as you've been through similar hardships. At 33 he was still very young. While he's no longer with us, heaven has gained an angel.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Matsta. 33 Is way too young. One of the worst things is the knowledge that it's going to be a tough time for those left behind and feeling like there's not much you can do to help.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aropax saved my mind and marriage.

Does decrease your libido a bit which was a small price to pay to counter the worst of my OCD & associated depression/anxiety.

I resisted anti depressants for a long time and tried CBT but couldn’t do it without them.

Glad you found a pill free way to cope but not everyone can.

Last edited:

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear my condolences to you and your mates family.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I got some relatively good news. I got my job back working at the Bakery. It's not as many hours as before but that my increase down the line. I get Monday to Friday and work from mid afternoon to about 10pm. So no more graveyard shifts. I may still need to find a little extra work of a morning but at least for now I am back working again. At least too I'll be making enough money to keep me above water which was all I was worried about. As long as i can pay bills and buy food, then I'm happy. If I manage to save some money then that's just a bonus.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So I got some relatively good news. I got my job back working at the Bakery. It's not as many hours as before but that my increase down the line. I get Monday to Friday and work from mid afternoon to about 10pm. So no more graveyard shifts. I may still need to find a little extra work of a morning but at least for now I am back working again. At least too I'll be making enough money to keep me above water which was all I was worried about. As long as i can pay bills and buy food, then I'm happy. If I manage to save some money then that's just a bonus.
Thats great news mate... congrats..

But wasn't the business going under and made you redundant? Or were they bought out by someone?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats great news mate... congrats..

But wasn't the business going under and made you redundant? Or were they bought out by someone?
Yeah the business is closed as a shop but my boss is using it as just a bake house now. So he is just baking and supplying other businesses and supermarkets, as well as sports, functions and special orders. He never wanted to put me off but didn't think he could afford to keep me on but his new plan has worked out that he can give me a job again. So I start back today. These last two weeks I guess you could say were just a break lol. Anyhow, the job is better than no job. So I'm still a bearded baker :tonguewink:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah the business is closed as a shop but my boss is using it as just a bake house now. So he is just baking and supplying other businesses and supermarkets, as well as sports, functions and special orders. He never wanted to put me off but didn't think he could afford to keep me on but his new plan has worked out that he can give me a job again. So I start back today. These last two weeks I guess you could say were just a break lol. Anyhow, the job is better than no job. So I'm still a bearded baker :tonguewink:
Ahh nice ... a restructure. Hope it works out for him as I know the pain and sadness small business owners go through having to release good staff.

I'd recommend looking into Income Protection in a months time if "all is stable". That way if it turns to shit in 6 months time you'll have something to keep you through the harder times.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry to read mate. But know this...

God or almighty gives the hardest battles to the toughest soldiers.

You'll be right mate, don't worry.
To be honest I'm used to it. My life has been hard since I came out the womb but I'm also stronger for it. Cheers mate.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read mate. But know this...

God or almighty gives the hardest battles to the toughest soldiers.

You'll be right mate, don't worry.
I've been tested for 30 odd years and I'm still here standing. I might get knocked to my knee occasionally but I always rise back up.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've been tested for 30 odd years and I'm still here standing. I might get knocked to my knee occasionally but I always rise back up.
solider mate, solider! you got this brother!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s the only way..although for me I need a hoist to rise back up and tilt table to keep standing!!!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: