The "R U OK ?" Thread

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone done a full on career change? Been trying for years with no real success... probably because I still don't have a bloody clue as to what i want to do or have many skills that will transfer over to other fields. Only feels like it's getting harder as it goes on and easier to slip into bad habits, also hard to find any good help and direction...can't help but feel so down over it.
Was literally coming into this thread to post the exact same thing!

I've been working in IT for nearly 10 years. Worked in the industry in Sydney, London, Auckland and now Melbourne... I think I've earned the right to say IT is a **** of an industry no matter where you are.

Have dealt with shit Managers in every role and been "taught" completely contradictory shit between them all. I'm mentally drained by it all and can't remember the last time I've felt any sense of accomplishment in my jobs.

I feel like for my own health now I need to get out before it's too late. I want my life back!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Was literally coming into this thread to post the exact same thing!

I've been working in IT for nearly 10 years. Worked in the industry in Sydney, London, Auckland and now Melbourne... I think I've earned the right to say IT is a **** of an industry no matter where you are.

Have dealt with shit Managers in every role and been "taught" completely contradictory shit between them all. I'm mentally drained by it all and can't remember the last time I've felt any sense of accomplishment in my jobs.

I feel like for my own health now I need to get out before it's too late. I want my life back!
It's a shit feeling aye, honestly sometimes I was I could just work at a cafe and absorb the happiness from the people around me haha.

Do you have any desire or interest in doing anything else if you left IT?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's a shit feeling aye, honestly sometimes I was I could just work at a cafe and absorb the happiness from the people around me haha.

Do you have any desire or interest in doing anything else if you left IT?
Haha fucking hell, literally was telling my partner "Wish I could work in a cafe". I don't even drink coffee!

I have an interest in everything. Probably my biggest issue in life has been being a jack of all trades.

If anyone ever asked what I wanted to do in life, I always and still say I want to be happy. If that means my career is a toilet cleaner than so be it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Haha fucking hell, literally was telling my partner "Wish I could work in a cafe". I don't even drink coffee!

I have an interest in everything. Probably my biggest issue in life has been being a jack of all trades.

If anyone ever asked what I wanted to do in life, I always and still say I want to be happy. If that means my career is a toilet cleaner than so be it.
Yh one of my mates has a cafe and he loves it, Parents were loaded though so he essentially had a business handed to him so I'm sure that helped with the enjoyment part lol.

I'm the opposite of you, I'm struggling so hard to find a genuine interest in anything. It's weird because growing up I was never like that, everything sort of just fell to shit when I got into the real word lol.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yh one of my mates has a cafe and he loves it, Parents were loaded though so he essentially had a business handed to him so I'm sure that helped with the enjoyment part lol.

I'm the opposite of you, I'm struggling so hard to find a genuine interest in anything. It's weird because growing up I was never like that, everything sort of just fell to shit when I got into the real word lol.
We might not be too different mate. Jack of all trades means not interested or good enough to do anything else that can actually make money. Lol

I think when we're younger we have time and we're naive enough to believe we can make a big difference and do something amazing. As you get older and you deal with **** after ****, they eventually wear you down and you lose faith in others and most importantly yourself.

I really dont know where to go from here. I can either keep pretending everything's all good or I can take a risk and invest in myself and do something left field (Haven't figured out that left field yet lol).

Problem now is I'm at a big crossroads in life and don't see how I can concentrate on myself anymore. All savings are going into our wedding next year, we dont know where in the world we belong geographically and we're already talking about houses, babies and dogs. How in all that can I take a risk and do something I enjoy when I work in a very secure industry that pays enough to make this all possible?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We might not be too different mate. Jack of all trades means not interested or good enough to do anything else that can actually make money. Lol

I think when we're younger we have time and we're naive enough to believe we can make a big difference and do something amazing. As you get older and you deal with **** after ****, they eventually wear you down and you lose faith in others and most importantly yourself.

I really dont know where to go from here. I can either keep pretending everything's all good or I can take a risk and invest in myself and do something left field (Haven't figured out that left field yet lol).

Problem now is I'm at a big crossroads in life and don't see how I can concentrate on myself anymore. All savings are going into our wedding next year, we dont know where in the world we belong geographically and we're already talking about houses, babies and dogs. How in all that can I take a risk and do something I enjoy when I work in a very secure industry that pays enough to make this all possible?
Yh it really is shit, there's so many different things out there that we could be doing, yet they feel like they're impossible to find and you can't help but get bogged down in life.

Good luck with your wedding, looks like you're stuck doing what your doing with that going on haha.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at that game was that also utai debut?
I Was pretty drunk I remember sneaking a 6 pack of udl in there when I was already off chops and unleashing a torrid abuse at a vendor for trying to charge me a ridiculous price for a pack of chilli kettle chips I possibly got laid that night and spewed my guts up all and all the night was " GREAT SUCCESS "
How dare the vendor try to charge 50 cents more for Kettle chips than you can pay at Woolies on special, apart from that and you can't remember getting laid "nothing worse", that sounds like a top night. Even spewing is a sign of a fun time.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually knew Utai as soon as his name popped up because in 2000, he played in the Reserve Grade team that won the Grand Final.
I'm pretty sure he is one of a few if not the only one that has won bulldog grand final in every grade

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Reactivated FB after being off for almost 7 years, fucking crazy. Only did it because I got a pw recovery email, assuming someone was trying to get into my account.

Had all these messages over the years from old mates trying to get in contact, poor ***** probably thought I was ignoring them. Now this shit has been on my mind all day and it's driving me mad, might try and get in contact with a few of them if I ever build up the confidence.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How dare the vendor try to charge 50 cents more for Kettle chips than you can pay at Woolies on special, apart from that and you can't remember getting laid "nothing worse", that sounds like a top night. Even spewing is a sign of a fun time.
50c they were trying to slug me over $5 over 15 years ago kettles at woolies are now $2,25

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It never bothers me when people hate me.
No one hates me more than I hate me.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
It never bothers me when people hate me.
No one hates me more than I hate me.
It's all bullshit mate. Do not believe in it. It will take time for you to slowly realise this but trust me this is not the real you.
This is no psycho-babble crap you hear from evangelists. This is coming from someone who has never seen themselves anything more than an existing piece of flesh. Sure there are people out there much much worse than me and I probably sound unappreciative, but this was my thought process since I could remember. That tide is now turning for me. I still got personal issues I'm dealing with and some days are not so good, but goddamn I am getting better at loving myself.

If you are a decent human with good intentions and a warm heart, then isnt that enough reason to truly love yourself? To say "Hey, I'm actually a pretty awesome person?" I know it is.

Dont feed it coz by doing so, you're biting your own hand.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's all bullshit mate. Do not believe in it. It will take time for you to slowly realise this but trust me this is not the real you.
This is no psycho-babble crap you hear from evangelists. This is coming from someone who has never seen themselves anything more than an existing piece of flesh. Sure there are people out there much much worse than me and I probably sound unappreciative, but this was my thought process since I could remember. That tide is now turning for me. I still got personal issues I'm dealing with and some days are not so good, but goddamn I am getting better at loving myself.

If you are a decent human with good intentions and a warm heart, then isnt that enough reason to truly love yourself? To say "Hey, I'm actually a pretty awesome person?" I know it is.

Dont feed it coz by doing so, you're biting your own hand.
Man, you’ve come along way, the tone even of your posts these days is just so super-positive! It’s clear you’ve been through some shit and are well and truly out the other side and seeing the good things out there!

My background is psychology mate and if more people could see that if you put some work into yourself, there really is some positive benefits. I’m sure the journey hasn’t been easy but I bet on reflection it’s been worthwhile.

My shift into Psych was based on personal experience so I do have a level of understanding of some of the challenges...

It can be fucking hard, I know that much.

Good on you mate.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Man, you’ve come along way, the tone even of your posts these days is just so super-positive! It’s clear you’ve been through some shit and are well and truly out the other side and seeing the good things out there!

My background is psychology mate and if more people could see that if you put some work into yourself, there really is some positive benefits. I’m sure the journey hasn’t been easy but I bet on reflection it’s been worthwhile.

My shift into Psych was based on personal experience so I do have a level of understanding of some of the challenges...

It can be fucking hard, I know that much.

Good on you mate.
As I said, I'm in no way comparing myself to those who have suffered far worse than myself. I cant begin to fathom what they go through, knowing how down in the dumps I was.

Thanks for the kind words mate. It's been an interesting personal journey to say the least lol. I'm at the point now where I don't fight it much anymore, rather let it pass and ask myself those 'why' questions. The more you fight it, the more it works against you.

Ah ok cool. It must be draining (as well as rewarding) investing your energy and empathy into other people's shit? Respect to you and everyone going through shit in their lives.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As I said, I'm in no way comparing myself to those who have suffered far worse than myself. I cant begin to fathom what they go through, knowing how down in the dumps I was.

Thanks for the kind words mate. It's been an interesting personal journey to say the least lol. I'm at the point now where I don't fight it much anymore, rather let it pass and ask myself those 'why' questions. The more you fight it, the more it works against you.

Ah ok cool. It must be draining (as well as rewarding) investing your energy and empathy into other people's shit? Respect to you and everyone going through shit in their lives.
I don’t work in the field but it is my degree, I can see myself in the later stages of my career supporting a cause of sorts...

I actually thought I could do it as a career, but realised I probably couldn’t handle it full time - and I mean 24-7, as having friends who work in that field - it follows you everywhere.

There’s a theory that all psychologists get into the field as a way of dealing with their own demons in the first place....

Great stuff by you either way mate, it really is hard to explain to people isn’t it? The other thing is, knowing our love for heavy music, when I was feeling shit even music did nothing for me and I mean nothing, you know something is up when that happens.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Its time for people to admit theres no such thing as unconditional love for the human race.