The "R U OK ?" Thread

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
NO ...not really...

Let's see.. where to start.

1. Sick of waking up with boxes and shit everywhere after recently moving. I just want this place sorted, yet everytime I start something, something else fucks up and takes twice as long. Tonight for example 3 hours trying to fix up a display cabinet where the bottom had rotted.

2. As a result of #2 and trying to do as much as I can, I'm now on my 6th consecutive day of waking up around 10am, and getting to bed at 5am with my head still ticking over. As such I'm mentally exhausted and beaten and belted up.

3. Add to this major financial stress because I've been out of work 6 months and living of my payout.
3a. An unintended move has financially crippled us to the point I need to enact my income protection.

4. Except that said income protection requires you to be actively seeking work, and they cut your pay if you refuse to attend interviews or don't apply for jobs.

5. I can seek work but my skills are largely outdated, meaning my preferred $60k salary will be harder to achieve, as I need time to study and reskill.

6. Coming into christmas jobs are less and less.

7. Still seeing a clinical psych after my previous employer really mind fucked me with workplace harassment/bullying which resulted in a minor mental breakdown.

So yeah ... complete fucking mess at the moment though I'm trying to stay positive. Trying to dig myself out of this hole I'm in but it's proving hard. Financial stress isn't helping things at all.
Oh Mr I it doesn’t sound good..

Honestly I think at first you gotta get your routine sorted out..Going to bed late and waking up late is no good..it gets you in a downward rut..Get to bed by 10-11 pm..If you find you can’t go to sleep..still set that alarm for 6 am and get up..go for a walk..have a healthy breakfast..(you’ll sleep eventually..trust me) and get ready to start your current job..which is..finding another job..whether that be searching online..or on foot..you have to get yourself ‘out there’....stop for morning tea..lunch..afternoon tea..breaks.. Its important that from Monday to Friday..8-4..you gotta follow that routine..it helps you focus..and gives you a purpose..

And just a little advice..sometimes a lower paid job..or a job that requires skills that are less than what you have..is not always a negative thing..sometimes it’s a foot in the door..a way in..to get a more ‘suitable’ position that takes full advantage of your skill set..

Don’t let it get you down Mr I..and the best way to stop that..is to sit back and look at it from a different perspective.. Good luck.. :blush:

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can't keep a good man down. You will be back on your feet in no time bro.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers Wolfy, Mr95%, Tank and anyone else replying.

Brighter mood today, as I've realised at the bottom the only way forward is moving up.

Still it's bloody annoying. Display cabinet arse end fell apart overnight so need to rebuild it. It was my grandparents so had sentimental value, but costing a bit to repair.

I believe in life that everything has a reason, and challenges are there to test us. Also that you can't change the future. If something is going to happen it'll happen in due course, not out of deliberate change.

Once I get setup here I'll be putting up a goals wall, whether I can set some things to work towards in life.

Hopefully in 5 years time I can tick off the "earn 6 figures as a cyber security consultant" box.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Brighter mood today, as I've realised at the bottom the only way forward is moving up.

Still it's bloody annoying. Display cabinet arse end fell apart overnight so need to rebuild it. It was my grandparents so had sentimental value, but costing a bit to repair.

I believe in life that everything has a reason, and challenges are there to test us. Also that you can't change the future. If something is going to happen it'll happen in due course, not out of deliberate change.

Once I get setup here I'll be putting up a goals wall, whether I can set some things to work towards in life.

Hopefully in 5 years time I can tick off the "earn 6 figures as a cyber security consultant" box.
I have a similar goals wall. But mine says "Earn 7 figures doing nothing". So far it's not working out so well but I'm sure one days money will start falling in my lap for no reason at all.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I have a similar goals wall. But mine says "Earn 7 figures doing nothing". So far it's not working out so well but I'm sure one days money will start falling in my lap for no reason at all.
It's like the "I could be one of those lotto dream stories "buys ticket with last $5 wins a millon".. but most likely would be "buys a ticket and wastes last $5".

That said if you never buy the ticket to begin with, you have 0% chance to win.

I rarely believe the "battler wins lotto" stories.... if you can afford to blow like $100 per major draw on tickets (or more), you aren't a battler, you're mismanaging your money.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's like the "I could be one of those lotto dream stories "buys ticket with last $5 wins a millon".. but most likely would be "buys a ticket and wastes last $5".

That said if you never buy the ticket to begin with, you have 0% chance to win.

I rarely believe the "battler wins lotto" stories.... if you can afford to blow like $100 per major draw on tickets (or more), you aren't a battler, you're mismanaging your money.
Yep. You're probably a battler 'cause you have a gambling addiction.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't keep a good man down. You will be back on your feet in no time bro.
No one can keep a good man down. But if your name is "Kevin Spacey" then you can keep a good boy down.

Too soon?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
NO ...not really...

Let's see.. where to start.

1. Sick of waking up with boxes and shit everywhere after recently moving. I just want this place sorted, yet everytime I start something, something else fucks up and takes twice as long. Tonight for example 3 hours trying to fix up a display cabinet where the bottom had rotted.

2. As a result of #2 and trying to do as much as I can, I'm now on my 6th consecutive day of waking up around 10am, and getting to bed at 5am with my head still ticking over. As such I'm mentally exhausted and beaten and belted up.

3. Add to this major financial stress because I've been out of work 6 months and living of my payout.
3a. An unintended move has financially crippled us to the point I need to enact my income protection.

4. Except that said income protection requires you to be actively seeking work, and they cut your pay if you refuse to attend interviews or don't apply for jobs.

5. I can seek work but my skills are largely outdated, meaning my preferred $60k salary will be harder to achieve, as I need time to study and reskill.

6. Coming into christmas jobs are less and less.

7. Still seeing a clinical psych after my previous employer really mind fucked me with workplace harassment/bullying which resulted in a minor mental breakdown.

So yeah ... complete fucking mess at the moment though I'm trying to stay positive. Trying to dig myself out of this hole I'm in but it's proving hard. Financial stress isn't helping things at all.

chin up mate, the job market is booming ( as we are told)

start random door knocking and also try contacting people from different companies through linked in.

more people you get in touch with more chances of landing yourself a job quickly.

you are smart enough to be unemployed for too long.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh wow Mr I that's shit.

Sounds very similar to my brothers experience.

He had an ongoing issue with his boss who drove him to a mental breakdown and needed to start seeing a psychologist because he was having homicidal thoughts towards her.. .( he was planning on how to make her trip to Bali a one way affair never to return.. And got to a point t where he actually hated all women .. Still does I think) anyhow his contract ended and was lucky enough to get another in Westpac which went well for a while till the curry munchers (visa 457's)started piling in around 2015.
His main complaint was (in his words ) "they're fucking idiots". He couldn't work with them he'd get called in the middle of the night for a problem and he'd give them instructions on how to resolve it and go " so do you understand?"
And they'd be like "yes yes"
And 5 minutes later they'd be paging him again.. He would be stressed and shitty everyday..
Everytime I saw him he'd be full on talking about how fucking stupid they are.. It was very non PC..
Anyhow that didn't end well because his 120k job went to a curry muncher for 60k..

He's now been out of work for a year and has given up..

So I kind of understand the frustration and anxiety you must be feeling.it's sad to know someone as smart and as nice as you can be driven out by some evil fucker who is probably a sociopath and gets off on destroying people..

On a side note if your willing to work an office job for 60k for the time being.. Try nswhealth jobs theres always lots of work there.

hey hey , go easy on curry munchers

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
chin up mate, the job market is booming ( as we are told)

start random door knocking and also try contacting people from different companies through linked in.

more people you get in touch with more chances of landing yourself a job quickly.

you are smart enough to be unemployed for too long.
If all else fails (which I believe he wont) he can fuck off the white collar for a blue collar job with me next year (Inshullah)

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If all else fails (which I believe he wont) he can fuck off the white collar for a blue collar job with me next year (Inshullah)
blue collar pays more than white collar (60ks) these days.

PS> I wont even suggest becoming Uber driver just not to upset wolfy, which pays shit loads with fringe benefit.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
hey hey , go easy on curry munchers
Sorry Zee , not my words but then again I shouldn't really repeat what he said .

Me : I have absolutely no issues with curry munchers lol and I know quite a few , all good people!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry Zee , not my words but then again I shouldn't really repeat what he said .

Me : I have absolutely no issues with curry munchers lol and I know quite a few , all good people!

yeah i know one who is an absolute asshole..i think you know him very well too.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Dude, I've had a lot of similar frustrations in terms of unemployment frustration. I left my last job because of ethical issues and issues with some in management.... my skills were (or felt) largely outdated.... I work in a shrinking industry and I guess I was lucky to eventually find something within my niche.... but the struggle was long and frustrating, so I can really identify with that.

I can totally understand it's a frustrating situation, but it sounds like you have a plan and a good grip on the situation. I'm sure you'll bounce back better than ever. But I know what it feels like to be down on your luck and to have those days.

All the best buddy!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stay positive Mr I, that is key. A positive mind goes a long way. When ever life starts kicking ur arse, which at times it will do as it has done to a lot of us u just need to take a moment and refocus. As u said there are things that happen to us in life that we can not control and sometimes we do not understand why things happen. I always try to find positives out of negative situation and learn from it. Life goes up and down like a prostitutes panties, but if u can keep ur chin up, roll with the punches and keep that mind frame positive things will pan out.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments all :grinning:

I see life as peaks and troughs.. yesterday built myself a benchtop and actually had a full day of successful things (which was a nice change and allowed me to get a heap of stuff done). Problem was... 5AM I was still at it because I was having such a good run LOL.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mr I.

I left my previous role At Commander on December 23rd 2016, hated it and wanted to spend time with my newborn son, did that, got a great role an an Optus Centre in May of 2017, lasted only 2 months, they fucked me over bad.
Was unemployed until Mid September.

Now i am at a Telstra Enterprise Partner and it's all going well.

Sometime you will feel like crap, but Trust me, it will get better - I was without a job for 7 months this year!

How can you only get 60k, are you not in IT?

You should be on wayyyy more, your too smart not to be

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Funny thing is I can tell in a way what's gone on. Last few years I've been driven into the ground with little to no work/life balance. I'd efeectively cut out everything in my life that I enjoyed doing because it cost money, or because I had no time for it.

That's changed the person I am in a way.

So, now it's all about rediscovering the person I used to be, and building on that with a new job, new life, and being a better person as a result.

Work / Life balance is the real key for me on this one.