Opinion The R Smith Centre move/experiment

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Smith hasn’t done anything in the trials playing centre, move him back to the wing and select Harper as a centre, he adds something when he plays. Wakeham had No 7 on his back, surely that means he could be ahead of Cogger, he has more in attack than the other halves. Some big decisions to make.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer Reimis on the wing. But to be fair he’s done no wrong at centre so far and will only improve.

Was quietly hoping Harper would have a big game yesterday which could force Reimis to stay on the wing but he was poor.
Agree 100%,to early to judge,but from what I've seen of Harper to date,hasn't been overwhelming,but happy to give both of them a bit more time.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
R Smith is average. Hasn’t done anything in first grade

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
R Smith is average. Hasn’t done anything in first grade
That Dragons game in 2018 showed everyone what he is capable of and he’s only shown glimpses of that since. He’s still been decent but he’s got more then that in him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
When I bag players people disagree and when I praise players people disagree.

I must just be a very disagreeable type of person.

I wouldn't want the Kennel to be any other way.
Let's just disagree to disagree ;)

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm a fan of the idea but for me it comes down to which prospect you rather

Harper or Okunbur ? i think meaney and hoppa are clearly set in their position for this year and next, smith one of the other 2.

i think harper looks more likely to be a guy that sticks around for a long time. okunbur one of those boom or bust guys who could have a huge season at ssome stage but also be a guy who finds himself playing park footy sooner then you thought because teams target his weaknesses with success

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
Need to see more of Remis in the centres in proper first grade games to judge. As far as trials go and as a comparison Harpers efforts, work rate and enthusiasm were much higher. Harper looked way more wiling to roll the sleeves up and do the dirty work.
Remis has the skill thou. Let’s see how it plays out.
Harper definately is a workhorse. Dont see Pay moving Remis from centre though unfortunately. I'd like to see Harper at Centre with Remis back at wing. Just my opinion though

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: smith has potential ..... he will score a double in game one . Harper to play wing over onkubor. Few surprises will come from game 1 selection. I’m having wet dreams about this year. Who is naseed?

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have faith in Harper. Give him as much time as possible in this written off year.

Same with our other talented pups.
Yeah mad . The year hasn’t even stated and it’s already been written off .. lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I like this Matt burton from Penrith ,the kid can play also goal kicker
He or Luai is who we have to target soon if our options don't work out.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: smith has potential ..... he will score a double in game one . Harper to play wing over onkubor. Few surprises will come from game 1 selection. I’m having wet dreams about this year. Who is naseed?
No-one knows Naseed, but plenty know Nasheed. Thanks for the insight into next weeks game. We’ll revisit that on Friday week and see if your DeLorean needs another service.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn't he your alter ego, naseed becomes nasheed after eating spinach?

And please don't mention your wet dreams again

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's the problem though. Why play a natural center on the wing and a natural winger in the centers?

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bit worried as I thought your name was youngboys, then I read wet dreams.

As for Naseed, could be you for all I know but he/she sure gets the occasional mention.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Smith has had two trials in his new position and looks like that is where Pay will start the season with him and I guess will persist with him unless he’s forced to move him back to the wing (form)

What did you all make of his first couple of outings albeit trial games?

Personally I think eventually he can make an impact there though he wasn’t really tested in defence and I don’t remember too many opportunities where he’s had early ball and space in front of him - He may have had a try assist v Sharks (last try) I might be wrong ....

He’s got the athletic build to make a go of it (size,height,strength,speed) but as yet to be seen whether he has the vision/awareness and sleight of hand ala Hoppa

I would keep him on the wing and play Harper at Centre to start the season but also excited to see what he can offer closer to the action.

Yes, I’m firmly sitting on the fence with this one haha
Yeh I'm not sure either whether I would rather him on the wing or in the centres. I know he would be in my team though. I feel like we have a few good players on the wing to choose from. Meaney is a good player with the football brains and all the fundamentals. Averillo seems to be a bit of a x -factor type player. And Okunbor is big and tall and can bringthe ball back the strongest out of our wingers. So if Reimis goes on the wing 2 of those guys will miss out.

But do we put him in the left centre position because a lot of people are saying how good Harper is. And he is a genuine centre. Should he be given more time than 2 trials?

It's a hard decision