News The passing of former player Bal Numapo

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PNGRFL saddened by death of former Kumul great Bal Numapo

The PNG Rugby Football League has joined the people of Simbu and all rugby league followers in mourning the death of former PNG Kumul captain Bal Numapo.

Numapo aged 57 from Ogel village in the Sinesine Yongumul district in Chimbu Province died following a severe stroke at 10am last Saturday August 1, 2020 in Kundiawa.

PNGRFL Chairman Sandis Tsaka said Bal Numapo debuted as PNG Kumul No.85 against Great Britain on August 5, 1984 against Great Britain in Mt Hagen as a centre.

He went on to represent PNG on 14 more occasions scoring four tries, kicking 18 goals and a field goal.

“Players like (late) Bob Tollick, Gesau Gebob, Robert Jakis, Robert Kubak and Pora Wek also debuted alongside Numapo in this game,” Tsaka said.

“Higher representative honours came when he and Dairi Kovae were selected in the Rest of the World team that played Australia in 1988.

“(The) Rest of the World team comprised of the best players from Test league nations England, New Zealand and France.”

The following year, Numapo secured a one-year contract with NRL club Canterbury Bulldogs and played three games.

“He was an icon in the rugby league world during the 1980s and 90s, a perfect role model balancing education and rugby league and a dedicated public servant following his retirement from the greatest game of all,” Tsaka said.

PNGRFL Highlands Confederate Director Joe Tokam said Numapo played for the Brothers club in the Kundiawa rugby league competition.

“I first met Bal Numapo when I was coach of the Highlands Zone team in 1992,” Tokam said.

“He was solid in every aspect, had the ability to break defence and off load, was a very good listener, read games very well and a smart and disciplined player.

“Thank you for the treasured memories and legacy you have left behind. On behalf of the Board, CEO Reatau Rau and staff, National Coach Michael Marum, all players and officials, I extend our sincere condolences to his family and people of Simbu on the loss of a great rugby league legend Bal Numapo.”

Late Bal Numapo is survived by wives Roselyn and Lynda and children Walter, Junior Numapo, Sil Takai, Ba and Kerenga Kua.

May he Rest In Eternal Peace.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was too young when he played for us to remember him. But it seems like he was a pretty big name in PNG. Condolences to anyone here that might have known him. RIP.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rip. Thoughts with his loved ones

FatDogSlim

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I remember reading in the league week the coaching staff saying he was the fastest in the team. For Whatever reason it didn’t work out but he is a legend of PNG rugby and one of the best homegrown players.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Rest In Peace ❤

Bashman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Phil Gould reckons that Numapo was sent home by Peter Moore because he threatened Kevin Moore's chances of playing in the halves in 1st Grade.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
RIP.

This Is the reality of the third world and the lifestyle they live. You do good to live to 55. Very well to get to 69 and 70 is unheard of.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phil Gould reckons that Numapo was sent home by Peter Moore because he threatened Kevin Moore's chances of playing in the halves in 1st Grade.
I thought he, Numapo, played wing in reserve grade - could be wrong

Bashman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought he, Numapo, played wing in reserve grade - could be wrong
I'm going on memory because I was pretty young at the time. He was being played in the Centres in Reserve Grade (possibly 5/8th). When Peter Moore questioned Gould about where to play him, Gould said he would have to move Kevin to Hooker to accommodate him in the halves permanently. Peter Moore put him on a plane back to PNG.

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
Bal got some TV exposure initially playing for Port Moresby in the National Panasonic Cup. It was a real amateur team that was half the size of most teams. Bal was a standout and thats how he ended up at the Bulldogs but realistically despite having a solid build, very gutsy and pacey he lacked the size & skill to be a regular first grader. I remember it being a big talking point when he got selected in first grade. Would have been massive in PNG...which still is the only country in the world that has Rugby League as its national sport.
Condolences to Bal's family & RIP