The only times we will win this season

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A tale of two football teams.

We were the best of teams, we were the worst of teams.
We were just beginning our late run to the grand final, we were not going to win another match this year.
We had a team of rising stars, who were just hitting their straps, we had a team of slugs who belonged in reserve grade.
We had a coach who could walk on water, we had a coach who couldn't coach a choko over a fence.

- we had a forum of bi polar supporters!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
A tale of two football teams.

We were the best of teams, we were the worst of teams.
We were just beginning our late run to the grand final, we were not going to win another match this year.
We had a team of rising stars, who were just hitting their straps, we had a team of slugs who belonged in reserve grade.
We had a coach who could walk on water, we had a coach who couldn't coach a choko over a fence.

- we had a forum of bi polar supporters!
There is no middle ground at the kennel. If we win we are champions, if we lose sack everyone. Its always been that way

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is when the opposition thinks they only have to turn up to win and turn up with an awful attitude like the Eels or when we have crazy amounts of luck like getting tries off kicks and intercepts.
Look at those 2 wins we had and that is all what happened.
If we face a decent team who turns up with a good attitude, we are next to no chance.
Thats just reality
What made me laugh was the 'We can make the final's' comment, getting flogged up until the parra game and then the tigers win all of a sudden people were talking finals, reality check were not good enough for final's, dodging the wooden spoon is what the rest of the season is all about, sad but true.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve said this on other threads but worth repeating I think - why are intercepts and tries off kicks somehow inferior or ‘lucky’? Compared to what?

Intercept tries usually need the courage to go for it (knowing if you miss you’ve messed up badly) and the skill to actually catch the ball and outrun the defence. How is that any ‘luckier’ than being a winger falling over the line at the end of a chain of passes inside the 20m or a massive forward crash-playing from 2m out?

As for tries off kicks, they need the right kick put to the right spot, the attack being right in line with (but not an inch in front of) the kicker, and the skill to either catch or regather with defenders everywhere and defensive block plays. Again, where’s the ‘luck’?

The only part that luck played yesterday was the awful luck of half a metre of rain turning the ground into a lake and our best forward going down early with an injury.
Because you cannot RELY on intercepts for points.
Why bother even going to training and practicing your offense? Why not just sit back and wait for intercepts? You cannot rely on them.
The same with tries off kicks. There is an element of luck involved.
Reality is, we cannot score tries off well structured plays.
Ava does not have a pass on him. He also is not a strong runner of the ball. He is not the long term solution.
Flanno is a wannabe Cleary. A far far far inferior version of him.
He does not dig deep in the line and create. He is too scared.
Burton is a one trick pony who can only kick and excels when others are creating for him like at the Panthers and NSW.
I enjoyed the wins the last 2 weeks, but not getting carried away.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why bother even going to training and practicing your offense? Why not just sit back and wait for intercepts? You cannot rely on them.
Ava does not have a pass on him. He also is not a strong runner of the ball. He is not the long term solution.
Burton is a one trick pony who can only kick and excels when others are creating for him like at the Panthers and NSW.
From your original post: “Look at those 2 wins we had and that is all what happened.” And from your latest post: “Reality is, we cannot score tries off well structured plays”.

I just have an issue with absolute statements like this. I wasn’t trying to argue that we only score tries from intercepts or kicks, nor that they are 100% reliable every week to win games. But we clearly did not score 70-odd points in two weeks solely from intercepts and kicks either!

I was simply saying that these types of tries take as much skill as any other. Of course you get lucky sometimes, but that holds just as much for a length-of-the-field-with-20-passes-try as it does a structured play in the opposition 20m, or an intercept or a kick. If you’re a purist who only wants “tries off well-structured plays“ then you are going to be a lot more miserable than the rest of the Dogs faithful.

I am in complete agreement that the two big wins were great and they certainly don’t make up for all the losses before that, or the loss yesterday. I just think you need some balance in your arguments (“Burton is a one trick pony who can only kick” is another one that it takes about 30 seconds to poke a million holes through).

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A lot of tries from all teams come from kicks, lucky bounces, intercepts.
Why not us.
Ava at fullback has been a revelation, he is there more to collect a pass than throw one. Give him more time to show that BAZ should have had him there earlier in lieu of Dufty, who is the worst defender I have seen for a while. Just watch some of the latest reserves game. Doesn't even bother to chase the play into the corner to stop s try.
Agree about Flanno. He offers nothing. No creative ability. Never seen him put a player into a gap. Puts Burton under pressure.
He is the worst HB in the NRL.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This place is far too quick to drop into full despair/negative mode. We will hopefully keep improving and win plenty more in the coming rounds.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We're great when it doesn't matter or against teams who aren't switched on

Last edited:

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're great when it doesn't matter or against teams who are switched on
Yes I agree. I know we beat Parramatta but let’s be honest without bias, something wasn’t right with them that day. We definitely played well and got some luck, but when parramatta are on…. I hate saying that too, as I’m a loyal bulldogs supporter through and through. Next year, we are going to be a lot stronger and think we will be more competitive in games week to week. Not just some games.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any time we beat Parra is good, but i reckon they were complacent on the day and we were ready for an ambush . . . Next year, I'm sick of saying that

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Win every game out of the principal of the point, undermined.