The NRL Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
A global search is underway to find the NRL's next superstar.

A new Nine Network reality show, called "The NRL Rookie" will discover someone who has what it takes to make it in the NRL – and guarantee them a contract.

As revealed on The Footy Show last night, potential NRL players will be invited to take part in the program – with the winner being awarded a professional contract with an NRL club.

NRL Head of Marketing, Lewis Pullen said The NRL Rookie program would demonstrate the hard work that players have to put in to become NRL stars.

"The fans see the excitement of game day and the wonderful skills that players demonstrate on the field," Mr Pullen said.

"What they don't see is the gruelling workouts and tough competition that players face to make an NRL side.

"The NRL Rookie will also show the work the players do off the field with juniors, school kids and in the community."

To be eligible to become the NRL Rookie, players must be at least 20 years of age – and they must not have played in the NRL Telstra Premiership. They must not have played NSW Cup, Queensland Cup or Holden Cup under 20s in the last three seasons.

"In other words, it will be an unknown who, until now, has had the talent to play NRL but has not been discovered," Mr Pullen said.

The NRL and the Nine Network are now taking applications from those wanting to become the NRL Rookie. The NRL is welcoming applications from across the globe although it is expected that Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and the UK will field the most applicants.

As a long term partner of the NRL, Telstra are proud to be officially supporting this initiative which will connect communities and demonstrate some of the amazing talent that grassroots Rugby League has to offer.

Mr Pullen said the show had the potential to encourage more people to play Rugby League and showcase the game throughout Australia.

"Somewhere out there is someone with great potential who dreams of becoming an NRL star," Mr Pullen said

"We are going to help him realise that potential – whoever he is!"

Visit nrlrookie.com for more information and to apply.

The NRL Rookie will be produced in association with Channel 9 and McGuire Media.

Follow The NRL Rookie journey on Twitter with #nrlrookie

ELEGIBILITY CRITERIA

In order to be eligible for the program NRL Rookies must meet the following criteria:
•The Applicant must be at least 20 years of age;
•The Applicant must never have been on an NRL first grade Top 25 Squad List or played an NRL first grade game;
•The Applicant must not have played a Second Tier NRL match (NSW/QLD Cup) or a Holden Cup U20’s in either of the last three seasons (being 2013-2015).

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anybody interested? Anyone you know who is interested?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon I could do this to be honest.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You'd think it would be hard to find someone who fits that criteria who will be good enough.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
The afl had a similar show which only lasted a yr. Think the same with the cricket version

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How old are you?

I really love this concept.
23 at the moment, turning 24 in August.

I haven't played footy since U16s, but that's because unlike most NRL players I have a brain and planned to use it. lol

I'm still pretty fit (I do weight training as well as 5km running daily).

You'd think it would be hard to find someone who fits that criteria who will be good enough.
I don't think so to be honest. I think there will be plenty of surprises.

Some kids just didn't have the pathways a lot of others do, which makes having a career in Rugby League really tough to get into. It doesn't mean they're not good enough.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
23 at the moment, turning 24 in August.

I haven't played footy since U16s, but that's because unlike most NRL players I have a brain and planned to use it. lol

I'm still pretty fit (I do weight training as well as 5km running daily).

I don't think so to be honest. I think there will be plenty of surprises.

Some kids just didn't have the pathways a lot of others do, which makes having a career in Rugby League really tough to get into. It doesn't mean they're not good enough.
Go for it bro.

If you do, keep us posted and we will support you all the way.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon it will be a young athlete in the similar build of Inglis, Hayne or Folau who will win it. Just think about it, they will be after an athlete who is big, strong, agile and fast but still young who has experience in some form of sport already especially a running sport with physical contact.

Good idea but I reckon the criteria they are after will only suit ~2% of all athletes they look at.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
They will be looking for someone special maybe in half position and when he wins the bulldogs will sign him lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd do this .. but my shoulders and knees are dodgy.

What they SHOULD do, is have the club submit a person on their behalf, with that criteria.

In order to be eligible for the program NRL Rookies must meet the following criteria:
•The Applicant must be at least 20 years of age;
•The Applicant must never have been on an NRL first grade Top 25 Squad List or played an NRL first grade game;
•The Applicant must not have played a Second Tier NRL match (NSW/QLD Cup) or a Holden Cup U20’s in either of the last three seasons (being 2013-2015).
You missed out:
•The Applicant must have a criminal conviction for assault, or sexual offences.
•The Applicant must have a substance abuse problem.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, so true. When I was younger, it was always who you knew rather than how you went in trials etc. It was mostly guys who had contacts /parents in key positions that made the rep teams etc...

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, so true. When I was younger, it was always who you knew rather than how you went in trials etc. It was mostly guys who had contacts /parents in key positions that made the rep teams etc...
Thats how life is today bro, you might be poor and a genius but the dumb ass guy whose dad has money and power will always be on top of you because thats how it is.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd do this .. but my shoulders and knees are dodgy.

What they SHOULD do, is have the club submit a person on their behalf, with that criteria.

You missed out:
•The Applicant must have a criminal conviction for assault, or sexual offences.
•The Applicant must have a substance abuse problem.
I was hoping you didn't catch up on that ;) lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay so the videos are out on Youtube (search NRL Rookie).

Post up ones you reckon are decent.

I'll post up Randy!

[video=youtube;UQix1ZyWd3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQix1ZyWd3w[/video]

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so the videos are out on Youtube (search NRL Rookie).

Post up ones you reckon are decent.

I'll post up Randy!

[video=youtube;UQix1ZyWd3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQix1ZyWd3w[/video]
Can he play halfback

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
From quite a few I've watched it seems there are a lot who are either playing park footy, or have been as far as SG/Matts and never kicked on and want a second chance.

Some of the videos are plain dreadful, others are quite good.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I was wonder. So the winner of this gets an NRL contract... but for which club? Is he included in their salary cap? What about the other clubs too?

Seems a little unfair.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I was wonder. So the winner of this gets an NRL contract... but for which club? Is he included in their salary cap? What about the other clubs too?

Seems a little unfair.
Guessing once the winner is chosen either clubs will contact/show interest him or he will check out clubs/facilities to make a mutual decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.