Opinion The NRL is a failed competition

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne d South Sydney 50-0

Penrith d Cronulla 48-0

Another week more thrashings.

I think it was V'landys who said that the bottom clubs should raise up to be as good as the top clubs. That's easier said than done especially with the new rules HE introduced. It can take clubs years to rise up the competition now & it's only been compounded by the rule changes.

I wish V'landys would stop listening to the likes of Johns & Gould because it is destroying the competition. Perhaps this is being done on purpose to crash the product so Ch 9 can get it cheaply.

I only watch one game a week these days instead of every game. And that is only because I have Bulldogs OCD. I don't support the NRL, I support my club. You had me, NRL, but you have almost lost me. Kill my club & that will be it forever.

So how does it get fixed? Have a real salary cap, with no extras, & maybe a points cap with it & re-assess the junior boundary lines so that every club has a decent nursery to pick from. That's a start for your Peter, but if you keep things going in the direction you are, you will be the man who saved the competition from COVID only to crash it with dumb ideas. Also get the referees to referee on what they see, not pre-conceived ideas or guesses. This is YOUR mess Peter & it's time to clean it up!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its the constant changing of the rules that has ruined the game.
They even change rules and the way the game is officiated during the season some times.
They changed the fabric of the game so people got fed up and followed other codes eg AFL.
Now they are trying to claw back fans by changing the game further.
Some refs arent confident and are relying on technology to do their job. The NRL has set it up that way.
Watching the Rooster/Eels game right now. The Ref turned his back and walked away whilst eels player was still trying to ground the ball over the line blowing his whistle so that the bunker could make the call.
The bunker was suppose to help with officiating, it is now an integral part of the game.
We spend so much time watching replays.
PC bullshit has made players soft, weakened SOO and my pet hate milking is getting worse because of it.
Ive wanted to stop watching the last couple of years. Not because we been losing but because the game is a shambles.
Change is enevitable but its the custodians that have been in charge over the years that have ruined it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Penrith d Cronulla 48-0

I think it was V'landys who said that the bottom clubs should raise up to be as good as the top clubs. That's easier said than done especially with the new rules HE introduced. It can take clubs years to rise up the competition now & it's only been compounded by the rule changes.

I wish V'landys would stop listening to the likes of Johns & Gould because it is destroying the competition. Perhaps this is being done on purpose to crash the product so Ch 9 can get it cheaply.

I only watch one game a week these days instead of every game. And that is only because I have Bulldogs OCD. I don't support the NRL, I support my club. You had me, NRL, but you have almost lost me. Kill my club & that will be it forever.

So how does it get fixed? Have a real salary cap, with no extras, & maybe a points cap with it & re-assess the junior boundary lines so that every club has a decent nursery to pick from. That's a start for your Peter, but if you keep things going in the direction you are, you will be the man who saved the competition from COVID only to crash it with dumb ideas. Also get the referees to referee on what they see, not pre-conceived ideas or guesses. This is YOUR mess Peter & it's time to clean it up!
NO he won't listen and now he wants two conferences .... he loves the new rule changes implemented on his watch...what a cracking one the six again is and the ridiculous captains challenge where it all depends on the wording of the question to the referee being the most important. How can you have a challenge mutually successful?

The bunker is still making some rather bizarre decisions too and meddling after a try has been scored and awarded by the onfield official who never referred it in the first place. Why have an onfield referee...... just have the bunker official making all the decisions, half of them NOT in real time.Scrums are a non event and coaches are still finding ways to rort replacement rules, ruck maneuvers, offside without being penalised.

Players staying down and trying to get a penalty has become even worse now that the technology exists to slow things down and review after the event. Tonight the video replays showed a rather nasty incident that was not dealt with on the field even though it was there for all to see...how on earth was Dylan Brown not called to account for the knees in the side of a man laying on the ground...now that player is awaiting a trip to hospital with suspected broken ribs and punctured lung...gone for the game and possibly a while on the sideline.

******According to Fox Brown has been put on report but not sin binned but I did not see that happen...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Game us dying... Everyone always shit on English Super League for only having 3-4 good sides and the rest just filler. Well it would appear the NRL is on the same boat if not worse as we only have 2 teams that can win the title

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Penrith d Cronulla 48-0

Disgraceful

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its the constant changing of the rules that has ruined the game.
They even change rules and the way the game is officiated during the season some times.
They changed the fabric of the game so people got fed up and followed other codes eg AFL.
Now they are trying to claw back fans by changing the game further.
Some refs arent confident and are relying on technology to do their job. The NRL has set it up that way.
Watching the Rooster/Eels game right now. The Ref turned his back and walked away whilst eels player was still trying to ground the ball over the line blowing his whistle so that the bunker could make the call.
The bunker was suppose to help with officiating, it is now an integral part of the game.
We spend so much time watching replays.
PC bullshit has made players soft, weakened SOO and my pet hate milking is getting worse because of it.
Ive wanted to stop watching the last couple of years. Not because we been losing but because the game is a shambles.
Change is enevitable but its the custodians that have been in charge over the years that have ruined it.
So we really aren't that Bad?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Your right about the NRL been a failed comp. With the amount of injuries as a result of the rule changes it will be a case of last man standing by the time the GF comes along.
Perhaps that is the reason the ridiculous decision to allow clubs to hold open spots in their roster until Round 20 is in this year? The one where clubs out of the running can be asked by teams still in the competition to "borrow" a player for the games leading up to the finals and the finals themselves.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
We are always going to see teams struggle and play out of form for one reason or another, that eventually sees them finishing at the bottom of the ladder. What we don't wanna see are teams getting constantly thrashed because of some shit rule. Yes of course I'd love to see my team put big scores on, but if you look at the big picture, neutral fans will begin to switch off and only watch their own teams' games. Also, I believe it will be harder to sell the game to potential fans with more and more games being so one-sided. It's boring.

And this whole mentality of "the lower placed teams need to get better" derp! derp!... is ridiculous. The better teams will still play just as good without the 6 again rule. It's moreso the viewing experience that is suffering. And people are clearly losing interest.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If everybody starts betting on games 13+ nrl will change the rules again because betting agencies will start losing money
I think the issue is that certain teams have huge fan bases and people make emotional bets. I've even seen numerous people here saying they're betting on us when the odds are clearly very slim that we'll win even if we cover the spread. So even out of form teams that have large supporter bases are probably getting a lot of bets placed on them when in all likelihood they're not going to win.

At the end of the day what I'm seeing on field now is that refs can really do a whole hell of a lot to steer the outcomes of games. It's my assumption that this goes hand in hand with what the gambling agency linked to our game wants. This six again rule really compounds the issue by adding huge levels of fatigue to one side, so it's very hard for the side getting hammered to mount a comeback and why we see so many blowout scores this year above any other year that I've witnessed. Considering that the gambling agencies know exactly what the outcomes will be of any set of scoring parameters every week, they can really alter the odds so that they never lose if they have the refs in their pockets with this set of rules in place.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Penrith d Cronulla 48-0

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that Vlandys doesn't plan to be involved in the game long term. So he wouldn't give a shit about the health of the game, the players or whether fans lose their emotional attachment and just stop watching.

I know a few people that are involved in horse racing who swear that Vlandys didn't actually clean up the racing industry, he just stopped the inquiries being made that would actually catch out cheating and corruption. And their thoughts are that he was parachuted into his role in the racing industry to ensure that gambling agencies more easily made money and that he was handed his role in Rugba Leeg for exactly the same reason.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking ahead to next weeks 'magic' round', honestly, not one of those games looks remotely interesting.