The NRL has turned into the English Super League

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is next to no defense anymore, blow out score after blow out score, most games over by half time.

As a result of the NRL trying to get ratings up, injuries in particular serious injuries have gone through the roof.

What a mess the NRL has turned the league into.

All this for TV ratings. They have prostituted the sport for $$

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
It's been more exciting this year. Nasheed.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is next to no defense anymore, blow out score after blow out score, most games over by half time.

As a result of the NRL trying to get ratings up, injuries in particular serious injuries have gone through the roof.

Well said,it had become a game of touch footy,and the new rules are fuckin joke,can someone tell me when a player is held,I can’t work it out in one game on players momentum’s stopped he says play the ball,2 sets later same play momentum stopped and his pushed back 10 metres,it’s becoming an embarrassment,all for the sake of television.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Well said,it had become a game of touch footy,and the new rules are fuckin joke,can someone tell me when a player is held,I can’t work it out in one game on players momentum’s stopped he says play the ball,2 sets later same play momentum stopped and his pushed back 10 metres,it’s becoming an embarrassment,all for the sake of television.
But everyone complained the game was predictable and boring last year (and ten years before that).
I prefer this variant of NRL. It's better on the eye.

the issue isn't the game, it's the talent depth.
there's too many teams compared to players. We need to have a 14 team composition.

pksyer squads are getting bigger but the talent oool is shrinking.
Asians don't play the game
Whites have been neglected in favour of Polynesian and aboriginal virtue signalling and have gone to soccer and AFL as a result.

we don't take risks in getting overseas rugby players anymore

And the cherry on top. Median and rep selection bias to good teams (why we nearly didn't get Cotric).
this is the result.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But everyone complained the game was predictable and boring last year (and ten years before that).
I prefer this variant of NRL. It's better on the eye.

the issue isn't the game, it's the talent depth.
there's too many teams compared to players. We need to have a 14 team composition.

pksyer squads are getting bigger but the talent oool is shrinking.
Asians don't play the game
Whites have been neglected in favour of Polynesian and aboriginal virtue signalling and have gone to soccer and AFL as a result.

we don't take risks in getting overseas rugby players anymore

And the cherry on top. Median and rep selection bias to good teams (why we nearly didn't get Cotric).
this is the result.
One thing u forgot to mention is the lack of brains,in a lot of the nrl players,and as u say the talent pool is not what it used to b,but u take a look at most sports in general,and there’s only 2 games soccer and basketball,that the numbers have remained steady,most kids today are on the laptops from the age of 3,and have no interest in most sports not just league,basketball is a game that’s mainly played by Asians,who don’t like body contact sports,

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are 1000% correct, The game has well and truly been prostituted, for the sake of TV ratings, the ever continuing rule changes has made it the laughing stock of international sport.
I believe that the problem is two fold (1) In Australia we have 4 football codes so competition for fans is stronger than anywhere else.
(2) The networks have been forced to pay the NRL a premium for the rights and are probably not getting a proper return on their investment.
Their is talk that their will be a reduction in the salary cap for next year.
BTW I enjoyed the game a lot more 20-30-40-50 years ago, now I only care about the Bulldogs, if they were to get pushed out of the comp, I go fishing fulltime and wouldn't watch another game.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Totally agree. You simply can not just change rules on the fly like they have. The 6 again has been great for speeding up the game, but it is massively up for interpretation as well. There are also many instances where a team gets 6 again on tackle one when a penalty would have been far better. And since no teams had any notice so as to adjust their training accordingly it has no doubt contributed to the increase in serious injuries this year. And then they try and change the bunker so that we have an instance where Tibuai Fidou runs the length of the field, the ref blows his whistle try, and everyone is celebrating while the scoreboard literally ticks over, and then the points are taken away. How fucking embarrassing!!! What kind of a shit show are the NRL running???!!!!!!!! Its a fucking joke!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The game is too slow or it's too fast.
You're complaining either way

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing u forgot to mention is the lack of brains,in a lot of the nrl players,and as u say the talent pool is not what it used to b,but u take a look at most sports in general,and there’s only 2 games soccer and basketball,that the numbers have remained steady,most kids today are on the laptops from the age of 3,and have no interest in most sports not just league,basketball is a game that’s mainly played by Asians,who don’t like body contact sports,
I agree there are a lot of players on this era that lack basic football intelligence. Just one example Look at the number of players who have broken through the defence and only have to beat the fullback to score and they are carrying the ball in the inside arm. If you carry the ball in the outside arm it makes it possible for the ball carrier to fend off the cover defence and also makes it much more difficult for the defence to punch the ball out or strip it. A skill that players should be taught in junior league.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree there are a lot of players on this era that lack basic football intelligence. Just one example Look at the number of players who have broken through the defence and only have to beat the fullback to score and they are carrying the ball in the inside arm. If you carry the ball in the outside arm it makes it possible for the ball carrier to fend off the cover defence and also makes it much more difficult for the defence to punch the ball out or strip it. A skill that players should be taught in junior league.
U know I sat there yesterday and watched one of the few teams in Penrith take advantage on the 4th or 5th tackle and spin the ball out wide,and they scored on 3 occasions,I put most of it down to coaches who play safety first,and not encouraging players,to be more adventurous,and the amount of players who allow the ball to bounce continuously and allow the opposition the opportunity to regain it is absolutely mind blowing,and our club is one of the worst offenders

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Will just wait an see, might suit us next year with TBAZ changing our attack, he will also be the kind of coach that will go with the times, and as the game keeps evolving and changing.. he will Make the needed tweaks To keep up with that.. happy to give him a good shot at this gig with us .!!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The undeniable fact is NRL players are not built physically, as well as conditioned, to run flat out for 80 minutes. That's AFL territory, where they measure how well a player is conditioned by how many kilometres they run in a game. It's a total change in the fabric of the game, a simple example we now have even more wingers, fullbacks and centres taking hit up after hit up, that used to be the forwards job. Forwards with their size and strength are conditioned for impacts, but the way the game is now they can't do that for 50 minutes let alone 80.

This is exacerbated this year by the 6 again nonsense, once a team gets 2 or 3 against them they are gassed for next 10 to 15 minutes because there is no time to recover. So they get further behind, more fatigued, get desperate and make mistakes and/or give away more penalties in an attempt to give them selves time to recover.

"Speeding up the game" is a piss poor excuse, if we aren't careful it's going to totally change how the game is played and the type of player that plays league all the way from juniors through.

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I was saying to my brother the try line defence in the NRL this season has been very weak.

Teams are getting gassed with these 6 again calls. Plus no one can understand the calls.

The referees now have the total say in who wins. I warched the Roosters v Souffs game, that corrupt **** Sutton handed that game to Souffs on a platter.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

I think the aim is get in new supporters, and boost TV ratings. The current supporters will complain, but will still watch their team play. New viewers and fans will not be enticed by the plodding and time wastage that is being dished up. Might as well watch soccer, especially with the milking for penalties that is becoming more prominent.

The game is becoming more like American football and Rugby Union, where there are time outs every few minutes for injuries, scrums, bunker reviews, and slowing down the pace of the game by wrestling in every tackle.

Teams are mainly made up of big hefty blokes who just collide with each other, then kick on the fifth. Even wingers are 110kg! The game is more exciting when small, fast guys can get around the big fellas and use their skills. This happens when the big blokes get tired. The way the game is going, they never have to raise a sweat with all the stoppages.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The undeniable fact is NRL players are not built physically, as well as conditioned, to run flat out for 80 minutes. That's AFL territory, where they measure how well a player is conditioned by how many kilometres they run in a game. It's a total change in the fabric of the game, a simple example we now have even more wingers, fullbacks and centres taking hit up after hit up, that used to be the forwards job. Forwards with their size and strength are conditioned for impacts, but the way the game is now they can't do that for 50 minutes let alone 80.

This is exacerbated this year by the 6 again nonsense, once a team gets 2 or 3 against them they are gassed for next 10 to 15 minutes because there is no time to recover. So they get further behind, more fatigued, get desperate and make mistakes and/or give away more penalties in an attempt to give them selves time to recover.

"Speeding up the game" is a piss poor excuse, if we aren't careful it's going to totally change how the game is played and the type of player that plays league all the way from juniors through.

Go Dogs
Thug,
I'm not saying you're wrong in your reasoning and logic, but I would ask if you to consider cup until the early 90s we only had 2 replacements per game.

At this stage. We have 4 reserves and 8 replacements per game.
This is an era with bulldogs great as like Mortimer and Brentjall and johns.

What we are seeing now is no where near those days.

And let's compare it to 2011 - 2016 when the game was completely gridlocked.
We got by on some great athletes but who knows what they could have done with space.

You need to understand that rugby league has largely been solved. Coach's figures it out tans defence got so good the product became shit.

We are seeing some slick plays and hoood spectacles now and it's a good thing. Otherwise follow rugby union, that game is much more complex and suited for competitive gridlock play.
The RL product was always about trying to be more exciting than its dominant cousin.
And jets have a reality check, you guys live in a RL bubble, but on the scale of it, RL is not 1/20 of the game worldwide compared to rugby union and its because they do this grind game better.

I'm shocked at the level of complaining here and wondered if you have truly thought this through.