The next two immortals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Who cares? The whole concept of the immortals is as stupid as the WWE Universal title.

Any genuine, bonafide immortal would not waste time on this shithouse game. There, debate settled. We’re supposed to believe Andrew Johns is immortal? Dude looks like he can barely tie his own shoelaces. The game is way too common to produce immortals.

Doesn’t one immortal still have really serious allegations over his head? We need to tone down the hero worship a notch. Sport hasn’t produced a true immortal since Hulk Hogan.

Fuck rugby league!
And yeah, Hulk Hogan is by all accounts a turd of a human and I was obviously having a laugh with that comment.

Immortals would do something more meaningful with their lives than dedicate them to a sport

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And yeah, Hulk Hogan is by all accounts a turd of a human and I was obviously having a laugh with that comment.

Immortals would do something more meaningful with their lives than dedicate them to a sport
You know..I agree..that’s why I believe IMHO if they’re going to have a Rugby League Immortal concept..those who are chosen should not only do great deeds on the field but also do great deeds off it.. Use their fame..influence..to the betterment of others..and also to behave themselves with dignity and respect in public and private life.. Now that would be worthy of the title of an Immortal.. And this is the exact reason while the inclusion of Andrew Johns in the Immortal ‘club’ was wrong..sure keep pick him in the ‘Team of the Century ‘..but his record of behaviour is not befitting of the Immortal title..

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hazem El Masri should be in there.

No disrespect, but aren't quite a few of them listed no longer alive?
I know it's an exclusive club, however I think they should look at all the players pre-WWII & decide once & for all who is worthy of being an immortal & do it all at once. There is plenty of time for most of the others.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meninga and Coote for mine
Having sat through almost all of Mal's games at Seiffert Oval & Bruce Stadium, I don't think he deserves it. He had the odd good game but did a hell of a lot of bludging. He seemed to lift for the big games in Origins & Tests when he thought his team need a lift.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well Mr I..Bevan was a damn fine player..he scored 757 first grade tries..that averages more than one a game.. You also gotta take into account that his Australian career was interrupted by World War 2 ..hence only his 8 games for the Roosters..you also must take into consideration the quality of the Rugby League in England during the time..it wasn’t the standard we see today.. Just one example was Great Britain’s 1957 World Cup win..hosted by Australia..beating France (of all teams!) in the final.. Britain won a couple of World Cups and won consistently against Australia..taking out numerous Ashes series..during the period he played in England..Bevan wasn’t playing in some ‘retirement’ competition for former Australian First graders.. So Bevan was not a push over..he scored three or more tries in a single game..100 times.. He actually scored 7 tries in one game alone..Any guy that has achieved what Bevan has achieved against quality opposition..regardless of where..deserves at least an Immortal nomination.. :blush:

Ps..he is the only person to be in both the British and Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame..and was good enough to be selected in the Australian Team of the Century.. So some pretty good judges recognised his ability!

Pps.. Check him out..

I agree with @Mr Invisible on this one in regards to Bevan. It should be reserved based on the Australian competition. It should also be note that in the England comps in those day there were good teams & really poor teams. They weren't all top grade teams.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You know..I agree..that’s why I believe IMHO if they’re going to have a Rugby League Immortal concept..those who are chosen should not only do great deeds on the field but also do great deeds off it.. Use their fame..influence..to the betterment of others..and also to behave themselves with dignity and respect in public and private life.. Now that would be worthy of the title of an Immortal.. And this is the exact reason while the inclusion of Andrew Johns in the Immortal ‘club’ was wrong..sure keep pick him in the ‘Team of the Century ‘..but his record of behaviour is not befitting of the Immortal title..
That would rule Mal out too.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with @Mr Invisible on this one in regards to Bevan. It should be reserved based on the Australian competition. It should also be note that in the England comps in those day there were good teams & really poor teams. They weren't all top grade teams.
The dominant world League Comp at the time was in actual fact England..hard to believe considering what it is like now.. Interestingly Clive Churchill took the 1948 Kangaroo tourists to watch him in a game..considering him to be the best player in the world at the time.. Another interesting point..he came back to Australia in his mid-forties to play an exhibition game..scored 5 tries! Sheesh..good player.. Anyway this stuff always creates debate!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Kinda like a best and fairest award!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Rather than immortals, it should be "Player of the year / Decade", because an immortal in 1930-1950, would get destroyed by the majority of 2018 NRL players in that same position (as the game changes so much over time).

So their accolades should be relevant to that period of time, not lumped in together.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why can't people just be happy that those who have gone before us and made amazing contributions to rugby league as a player are recognised with Immortal status? I don't have a problem with any of the existing immortals. they each, in their own way changed the way the game was played and were the best in the world in their respective positions to boot. People who bag Joey just don't understand what a great player he was. Even Locky acknowledges that he was in the best 2 footballers he has ever played with or against.

Dally Messenger was THE person who created the impetus for rugby league to establish in this country, but more than that he was peerless as a footballer. The only reason he wasn't the first immortal chosen was because the rules required the judges to see the nominee play and by the time the concept came around Dally was long gone. He is a lock for one of the spots.

Those who saw them both in their prime would rate Bevan above Irvine in every regard, but if it were to be another old timer it would have to be Brown. Bloke was a freak.

Of those still walking and talking it is between Meninga and Lockyer for mine. Both were dominant but big Mal was the first to go on 4 kangaroo tours when they were really tours and was unstoppable with the ball in his hands. He would get my vote ahead of Locky. Provan was a good player and coach but not in the same class as the other two for mine. He just had the amazing run of premierships as a backdrop.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Dally Messenger. It doesn't get anymore obvious than this. Our official awards are named after him... how he is not an immortal yet it beyond me. Other person should be ron coote.

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For mine the EASIEST one is Dally Messenger. So he is the easiest one, and it is just whether you go with another one from the past of take the best current one which is Lockyer. I'm surprised Meninga was nominated.

Messenger and Lockyer for me.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Andrew johns did soooo much for league, forcing Newcastle to use players like Dane tilse as scapegoats for his own drug problems because he knew how to play footy and was a great halfback. How can you not trust this guy as a mentor and role model for children

passed out joey .jpg
images (2).jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.