The NBN - A little confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Hi All,

We received a letter from the NBN team saying that they will come and do the installation for us. This is in the Greenacre/Bankstown area.

I am not too sure if we have to call them up and set a time or if there is anything I need to do?

Can someone who has had the NBN installed advise of their experience?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think the letter is from NBN saying they're doing it in your area - meaning they'll hit your street soon. Once it's done, you'll get another letter notifying you, OR you can check the area status on the NBN website.

Then when it's ready, you can get Telstra (or another provider) to install it. I'm with Telstra.

First, you negotiate a new internet/phone plan with them. My plan is $99 per month including phone calls to other landline and mobile phones, and line rent all included. They'll also send you a Telstra NBN Gateway, Modem, and Telstra TV box as well (3 things altogether). Once all that has been delivered in the one bundle, you then negotiate a time for the technician to come and do all the wiring between your home and the telephone cables on the street. They'll need to drill a hole in your wall to get the line socket installed, and then run this line from your roof to the telephone cable. Once all the wiring is done, you plug and play.

You notice that with Telstra you will have TWO wifi services (not just 1). The first one is your standard wifi service that has a longer range, but standard speed. The 2nd wifi service you have is 5G (very fast) but shorter range.

Using your iPad or Internet webpage, you'll think the speed has not changed. However... start downloading something...

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, even though I have Telstra TV I don't use it, but I might in the future. You also get a Telstra ID meaning you can watch all the NRL games live and full replays on your tablet/phone (which don't count towards your data usage), and also access too thousands of wifi hotspots around the country with Telstra Air.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Woah .. depends on the technology.. there are 3 main ways NBN is delivered.

FTTN (Fibre to the node) - this is generally rolled out where you would have had ADSL (internet via phone line) previously. Highly prone to speed fluctuations it's the shittiest deployment of the NBN and due to be replaced eventually by FTTC (Fibre to the Curb). I'd guess this is what you'll get.

FVHFC (Fibre via HFC) - this is where you previously had cable internet areas, and they are using that cable to deliver NBN speeds. Hearing lots of issues with this, but the promise is faster more stable speeds than FTTN.

FTTB/FTTH/FTTP (Fibre to the Building / Home / Port) - NBN how it should be done. Fibre leads directly into your home.

In all instances of NBN installation first step is NBN coming and installing the NTD/NTU (Network Terminating Device/Unit). That belongs to the NBN and is what you use to connect to their network. FTTN it's normally a Technicolor, HFC is normally an Arris, FTTB/H/P can be a few different ones. Sagecom being one.

Once the NBN come and get you up and running, either the ISP will send a self install kit (they are dead simple plug and play modem/routers normally), or you pay for professional installation.

Out of the ISPs I'm with Telstra on 100/40 NBN FTTH/P and love it...
Download: Anywhere from 55-90 mbps (depending on if on wireless or cabled).
Upload: Anywhere from 5-30mbps (as per above).

Status
Not open for further replies.