Opinion The most URGENT fixes

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not saying Averillowill be a success at 6 or 1 in first grade - but he was better in the halves than in the centres in juniors n Flegg. Most halves are targeted in defence - particularly early in their careers - Thurston n Sherwin were and improved over time - Averillo defence issues have been about decision making more than actual tackling.
Positions players play in juniors is irrelevant,first grade a totally different kettle of fish

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Positions players play in juniors is irrelevant,first grade a totally different kettle of fish
So a 120 kg forward playing in the forwards his whole career then when he comes into 1st we chuck him in dummy since it doesn’t matter once in first grade?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
My point is this wankfest about ave being a 1 or 6 is totally baseless hes done nothing to show that he will be good in 1st grade there yet,yes maybe in time but if he’s struggling at 3 hell be in all sorts at 1 or 6 this early in his career
Similar to the wankest over Wakeham who has always looked shit to me.

Averillo looks like he has good skills running with the ball so 6 or 1 probability his best positions however his defensive reads have been terrible so far in 1st grade.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar to the wankest over Wakeham who has always looked shit to me.

Averillo looks like he has good skills running with the ball so 6 or 1 probability his best positions however his defensive reads have been terrible so far in 1st grade.
Poor defensive reads out wide are rife within our ranks though. Just look at Reimis, Montoya, Meaney, Holland and Okunbur over the last few years.
Certainly not just an Avo thing

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor defensive reads out wide are rife within our ranks though. Just look at Reimis, Montoya, Meaney, Holland and Okunbur over the last few years.
Very True that.
And jackson & Lewis inside Averillo yesterday were absolutely shithouse in defense also.
But Averillo got a bath the first 15 minutes yesterday, it was really bad.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Katoa.delivers the ball so much earlier than JMK. I am surprised they don’t keep him on the field for 80 mins.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And it has been that way for a number of years - all other clubs have worked out how to defend the "pass out the back" except the dogs

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not needed to replace nearly the whole team nor would it be possible. Yes will need to replace or find some key players. Some players will also improve under the right coaching & in a winning team culture. Look at Bellamy who signs what seem to be average players that are playing above average performances. E.g. I thought kotao was shit but under SG his performances are good. Under Barrett- who knows?
The important ingredient missing is managing all the junior & young players coming through system. Identifying those with genuine potential & managing their progress to 1st grade level. Not only allows a flow of young players but helps with the salary cap in their initial years.

In the pack, we lack 1-2 creative forwards, 1 creative half, 1 impact winger & 1 gun fullback. Perhaps we have a potential in a ranks. E.g. Amarillo at FB.
But good coaching will have an instant improvement. E.g. Forwards will not act as pivots. ( At Penrith the passes go straight to their halves when attacking)
The most hardest decision is Foran. Do you continue with a player with great ability but unable to perform constantly for 80 minutes?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not needed to replace nearly the whole team nor would it be possible. Yes will need to replace or find some key players. Some players will also improve under the right coaching & in a winning team culture. Look at Bellamy who signs what seem to be average players that are playing above average performances. E.g. I thought kotao was shit but under SG his performances are good. Under Barrett- who knows?
The important ingredient missing is managing all the junior & young players coming through system. Identifying those with genuine potential & managing their progress to 1st grade level. Not only allows a flow of young players but helps with the salary cap in their initial years.

In the pack, we lack 1-2 creative forwards, 1 creative half, 1 impact winger & 1 gun fullback. Perhaps we have a potential in a ranks. E.g. Amarillo at FB.
But good coaching will have an instant improvement. E.g. Forwards will not act as pivots. ( At Penrith the passes go straight to their halves when attacking)
The most hardest decision is Foran. Do you continue with a player with great ability but unable to perform constantly for 80 minutes?
Three or four quality players will make a difference - but will be froma very low bas - just not having Tolman n Lewis anyhwere ner the ball will help the attack.
re Juniors the HM team was good this year but the sgball was disappointing - apart from Danny Ghantous who stood out. I was hoping for a better quality of individual player in SGball this year - particularly in the backs but wasnt to be.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That was our worst display all season and the Storm actually played pretty average by their standards and still belted us. Watching the game and seeing so many basic errors, from experienced campaigners as well, was pretty disheartening. These aren't because the players aren't skilled, but are down to basic mental lapses. Their minds weren't on the job at all and their resolve when things didn't go our way/when Storm got on a roll was horrible.

When you look at things like: numerous players probably being told they're not wanted for 2021/are being shopped, our interim coach himself knowing he won't be here next year, our on field leader and captain looking absolutely shot (his confidence, his energy, his fitness, everything), uncertainty that comes with a new coach coming in 2021 and players place in the team - all would be contributing to an environment that is probably pretty lousy. Not making excuses for them but that performance reeked of a team who mentally are not all there.

There's no easy fix here. I reckon we're still in for some pain for the remainder of this season. All I'd like to see them do is give our youth a go (in their natural positions) and drop players if their attitude and application stinks (i.e Reimis acts like an entitled diva based on 2-3 good games in his entire career).

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
1. Averillo / Staines
6. Burton
7. Johns / Cogger
9. Starling
That will go a long way to fixing our issues and won't break the bank

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO we need the following (based on making do with some of what we have, unfortunately you can’t punt 25 players...)

Hooker - B Smith (or Clarke if we can’t get Smith)
Katoa to be kept as a 14. There hooker back up and can play back row for sections

5/8 - Burton
Half - keep Foran - I reckon with a good spine and if he keeps on the paddock he’d improve us a lot - for reasonable money though.
Fullback - now’s the time to see what Averillo can bring. Simple. If he doesn’t show any upside then look elsewhere.
lock - I think Jackson now should be moved there. No longer a threat out wide.

look for a decent back rower and prop. I was thinking Pangai but the ct is trouble. Massive massive trouble.

have a look at ONE of either Staines Rona Koroibete or Coates

Punt Lewis Lafai Montoya Crichton Elliot (if he doesn’t accept 350-375) Tolman Britt Cogger Napa

promote Doorey Topine Schoupp Tass
Kick up the arse for Stimson. He could be ok if fit.

Side then looks a little better...

1 Averillo/Staines
2 Staines/Smith
3 Hoppa
4 Cotric
5 DWZ
6 Burton
7 Foran
8 thompson
9 Smith
10 ??
11 ??