News The Mole: Bulldogs forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner's career in doubt after injury setback

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
Any one saying we don’t get cap relief for a medical retirement doesn’t understand the cap

if a player is medically retired they get their full contract amount payed out but it does not count against the club in the cap
it is essentially a workers comp payment

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have a very similar injury in my foot atm and and looking likely for repeat surgery following unsuccessful surgery.

Its a hard injury to manage and just as it feels ok weight bearing can set you back to step 1. I think he will struggle to return to full fitness that a professional sport requires. Hope I'm wrong.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Imo we should stick by him and if he gets fit I’m sure he will repay us. He and Foran were our best 2 players last year. He can also fill in at prop

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Feels bad. Love the bloke...he's been our best on ground last few years when fit.

Anyone hoping for a medical retirement for a 28yo with a mediocre contract is being a bit harsh.

Hope the club sticks with him.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely Uncle Arthur can give him a 300k p/ year job pulling beer or standing on a door to help the situation?!
Sure thing liljohny...
500k job for Elliott
300k job for RFM
But the sponsorship
1 year free
1 year 500k for the whole club :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a law of averages thing, sooner or later they have a bit of luck, ask Foran.
It would be the icing on the cake to have him available in 22.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Feel sorry for him. You can't just medically retire blokes that aren't ready to hang up the boots. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the playing squad? I hope he comes back from injury as quickly as possible. Would love to see him play with some real strike weapons outside of him.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feel sorry for him. You can't just medically retire blokes that aren't ready to hang up the boots. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the playing squad? I hope he comes back from injury as quickly as possible. Would love to see him play with some real strike weapons outside of him.
I understand your point however the nrl is a business, and if he can't get back on the field you need to make those hard decisions and be ruthless, it doesnt matter what job your in... you don't just keep someone cause he's a nice guy if they can't physically do the job anymore.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I understand your point however the nrl is a business, and if he can't get back on the field you need to make those hard decisions and be ruthless, it doesnt matter what job your in... you don't just keep someone cause he's a nice guy if they can't physically do the job anymore.
That's not the point. If he doesn't want to retire than there is nothing you can do about it. If he is open to the idea then it is a different story. End of the day it is not the clubs decision to make.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If he can make it out onto the field, clear of injury, he will likely be a massive asset. Some players don't make it back from this amount of set back, but of the ones that do, a lot of them come back tougher and more hungry.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was outstanding in that upset against Souths last year. Sadly, i think he has already peaked and dont see us re-signing him unless he has the pre-season of his life and strikes up a combination running off Burton..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely would not be chasing Kikau if the reported asking price of $900k is remotely true.
Yes I wouldn't offer him 900K and I don't think anyone will. When he realises that he'll come down. We have to be able to offer more than the Panthers. If Barrett and Gould can't get him for a bit less than others no-one could

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We won't be able to medically retire him on this injury though, because our "Head of High Performance" went softly softly on his treatment instead of surgery straight up. Then it didn't heal correctly, so they had to opt for surgery and the bone graft.

So its injury missmanagement that has put him in this current situation, not an actual direct injury.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
2017 - 16 matches
2018 - 12
2019 - 10
2020 - 20
2021 - 2
2022 - ???????
It's very difficult to carry a player that is constantly injured.
I know we have all seen glimpses of what RFM could be.
But gee that list.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No rush, plenty of time to determine how is recovery is progressing, as Gus tweeted be patient.

BTW to medically retire a player all 3 parties have to agree, the payer, the club and the NRL, I suspect that right now there is no farkin way RFM will agree to being medically retired. Maybe if his rehab stalls he might be more agreeable, but right now forget it.

Always a Bulldog
Is there an insurance underwriter or is the NRL self insured?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner's career is in the balance after he underwent a bone graft on his foot.

The barnstorming forward had surgery earlier in the year but the injury did not heal properly.

The bone graft is a major surgery and there is a 20 per cent chance that Faitala-Mariner, who managed just two games for the club this season due to the injury, could be forced to hang up the boots.

"It is a possibility but we are hopeful it won't come to that," Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould told Wide World of Sports.

"If things go to plan, he will be running in three months and able to play in six months.

"It's too early to tell what will happen."

The Bulldogs today signed former Cowboys and Broncos forward John Asiata, as Wide World of Sports reported several weeks ago.

We should recruit the bunnies doctor. We'll be able to instantly medically retire RFM and possibly even Flanno with a bit of luck.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel bad for RFM but he's been injured way too often. He's a waste of 400k or more and a squad spot every season.
I don't know. 75 games in 4.5 seasons with us isn't bad. It's this injury that has cruelled him / us, missing most of this season.