The Mole: Big-money Bulldogs favourite to sign gun Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I defer to what Bennett says and you don't pay more than 300k for a prop. They just make metres that's it.
As usual with Bennett, he is loose with the truth when it suites him, evidence #1 TBurgess is on $500k, evidence #2 Bennett offered LThompson $600k, evidence #3 Mogo is on $330k, evidence #4 Liam Knight rejected a $500k offer from the Titans and resigned with Souths (did he really stay for $200k less?), who is left ........... Tatola, just signed a 3 year extension (4 year deal) and anyone who thinks he is on $300k or less is dreaming.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Staggs has had a fair few injuries over the years and an ACL recovery is no joke. He'd have to prove he can match his form from the last few seasons and stay healthy this season before anyone gives him 650k plus.

I hope he can stay fit as he's a great player to watch, but he's a huge risk at that kind of asking price right now.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say 150k is fair, but that was as an untested rookie and not the Meaney of today. I wouldn't be offering him a contract of any value right now unless he has a crazy season this year.
I’m worried about him having a crazy season.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Ah my mistake. Jacs easily top 20
Players! Fuck I’d have top 10

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As usual with Bennett, he is loose with the truth when it suites him, evidence #1 TBurgess is on $500k, evidence #2 Bennett offered LThompson $600k, evidence #3 Mogo is on $330k, evidence #4 Liam Knight rejected a $500k offer from the Titans and resigned with Souths (did he really stay for $200k less?), who is left ........... Tatola, just signed a 3 year extension (4 year deal) and anyone who thinks he is on $300k or less is dreaming.

Go Dogs
That quote was obvoiusly in a different salary cap era lol

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to get Staggs. $800k is a bit rich though and I don't think he'll get that anywhere.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes that's what the article was highlighting actually - failure of the salary cap - but it also shows the top teams pay more of their cap on several top players then have young up and comers to fill the rest. Teams like us tend to do it the other way around by paying overs to a bunch of average players including those who can't even crack our starting 17 (ie: Britt, Stimson, Lewis, Wakeham, recently Holland and Montoya) Some call it depth or experience but if you have decent juniors they are usually good enough to fill holes and come cheaper. I'd rather pay $600K for a great player to play first grade and affect results rather than waste 600K on 2 average players to play reserve grade (and have no bearing on results in first grade) most of the time.
Unfortunately we couldn't pay for the top class player nor bring in any promising juniors over the last few years because Des stuffed our cap & refused to do any junior development.

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately we could pay for the top class player nor bring in any promising juniors over the last few years because Des stuffed our cap & refused to do any junior development.
Yep totally understand but Lynne didn't have much idea about signing players either and many on here it seems would rather stick with 6 average players rather than sign 3 great players with good young development players backing them up. I'd rather have someone like Schoupp as a backup than a Holland or Montoya eating up good money to play reserves

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep totally understand but Lynne didn't have much idea about signing players either and many on here it seems would rather stick with 6 average players rather than sign 3 great players with good young development players backing them up. I'd rather have someone like Schoupp as a backup than a Holland or Montoya eating up good money to play reserves
I know what you are saying but we needed to sign 6 players for a top 30. If we had signed just the 3 we would have been 3 players short & the NRL would probably have fined us $2M just because it's the Bulldogs.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would Kotoni be sucking Elliott's toes, or would it be the other way around?