The Mole: Big-money Bulldogs favourite to sign gun Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manager can throw any no. he wants out there, and its his job to get maximum $. No club would be up for 800k on him though. I do think Walters will struggle as a coach and the Broncs as a team so he may be interested in a move.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I forgot dwz. Ffs he’s off books and will surely take 400k less to play on in nrl off to uk.

Don’t believe he’s on 800k though he too would be 650kish.

Hoppa and Napa this year would free enough for staggs and a quality 9 when we allocate some funds from others like jmk Lewis meaney being replaced with fringe first graders like they are on realistic money to that not double+ that they are!

The following years jacko Dwz etc would allow more than enough to upgrade those worthy!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just seen this discussion about 2 hours after I had a coffee with a reliable source telling me Stagg's will be at the Dogs next year. No figure mentioned
What sort of strike rate does this source have?

Personally I'm 50-50 on signing Staggs. Great player but it completely depends on the price. $800K would be a bad deal but $600K would be a steal

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'd be great to have Staggs but I'd say $550k is max

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Much less than that
What im saying is we need some better value, and maybe that 300 should be going elsewhere

Also need to clear out all Pays signings where the player managers held us to ransom to get a signature

edit: And yes I dont rate him, hes a cat
9 mil decided by 30 is 300k. He may not have set the world on fire, but he is safe, and can cover a few positions. Surely the "average wage" is adequate.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Much less than that
What im saying is we need some better value, and maybe that 300 should be going elsewhere

Also need to clear out all Pays signings where the player managers held us to ransom to get a signature

Like many in our squad, they deserve a hence to show what they can do in a better side, and with much better coaching and fitness. If he doesn't perform, same goes for all, then see ya later. But 300k is not overs for a regular fg starter.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Much less than that

Id rather see DWZ gone on what he is reported to be earning than Meaney, a back up whos on 2.5 times less than DWZ. Meaney as you have rightly put might not be a force but doesnt make many mistakes putting the side under pressure like DWZ does. DWZ may run hard but doesnt march us up field whan hes running sideways. Id rather Meaney under a high ball. He also frees up alot more cap and who is worth his pay packet of a measily $300K.
We cant pay big $$ for everyone and Meaney can do ok covering more than one position if we have injuries.

Who knows, both players may improve immensely this year with a real coach.

stinkypinky

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We can afford it remember we got 15 players of contract??????

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats what I would suggest. Hardly overs for a regular first gradercapable of playing a couple of positions.
I would say that's over for Meaney, probably should've been originally signed for 150-180 per season but us and Tigers we're competing for him and inflated his price lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because its bullshit. Nothing about this new regime says to me that they're spending that much.

Remember when the media said we were going to pay JAC this and that amount? Wasn't even close.
JAC is one of the most marketable players in the NRL, I remember reading an article recently and statistically JAC was ranked at 2nd or 3rd behind Ponga and potentially someone else. He is getting good coin from someone to move to Sydney ;)

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does amaze me how we haven’t had a world class (as in Australian rep) spine player in how many years?
Would love a Cronk, Smith, Cook, Munster etc. I feel we should offer Harry Grant 1m, bolsters our team and weakens whoever had him. I’d prefer Grant over Staggs even if it meant a top gun junior coming through the ranks starting at centre in minimum wage.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does amaze me how we haven’t had a world class (as in Australian rep) spine player in how many years?
Would love a Cronk, Smith, Cook, Munster etc. I feel we should offer Harry Grant 1m, bolsters our team and weakens whoever had him. I’d prefer Grant over Staggs even if it meant a top gun junior coming through the ranks starting at centre in minimum wage.
Staggs is quality no doubting that. It’s not just the $800k on the Cap it’s the likes of Cotric & JAC seeing that happen and becoming unhappy that they are not on that money.

Agree. A $1m Harry Grant is a much better option filling the rest of the backline with cheaper promising juniors coming through. (Which we have a few)

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol... manager - pump my players price up please ?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Staggs is quality no doubting that. It’s not just the $800k on the Cap it’s the likes of Cotric & JAC seeing that happen and becoming unhappy that they are not on that money.

Agree. A $1m Harry Grant is a much better option filling the rest of the backline with cheaper promising juniors coming through. (Which we have a few)
Grant's contracted until the end of 2022 and Storm would be willing to give him at least 800k from what he's shown already imo. I don't even think 1m would be enough to get Grant done even if he was available. Grant's already one of the best (top 3 imo) in the NRL after 1 season. I don't want us to sign a centre, but if we were to offer Staggs a contract I wouldn't be going over 650k.