The Mole: Big-money Bulldogs favourite to sign gun Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For $800k we can sign the likes of Damien Cook and Cameron Munster. If we pay $800k for an okay Centre, that will be suicide for our club. We will be back to where we started with the Des cap mess. I hope this is just rumours by his manager to milk more cash from the broncos

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd be trying to offload dallin, not resign hoppa and make staggs happen... He is a competitor, I call him a footballer... Plays tough. Probably barba was the last time we had someone that was exciting to watch and had the potential to make something happen any time he had the ball no matter where he was on the field..... A game winner
Not all we wish for we get...
Let's see what DWZ will offer this year !
Will he warrant his price tag ???

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We've saved money on our whole spine. Fairly cheap fullback, and our 2 halves. If we miss out on B. Smith (which is very likely) and we go with someone like Dietz we'll save even more. Yes there will be upgrades in the future IF we play really well but lets play well before we concern ourselves with that. It's not a guarantee. There will be plenty of money freed up in future in the next couple of years also when DWZ and Jackson come off contract. Staggs is one of the most dangerous in attack in the whole NRL. He can create from nothing and convert half chances when others would fail. We need more players like that no matter what position they play. I think he's worth 750K if we paid 650K for Cotric. If we shed Hopa (which we definitely should IMO) that will take care of the majority of his salary so what's the fuss ?.
just because we have been managing our cap well, doesn’t mean we should now stuff up our hard work and throw stupid money on a centre.

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For $800k we can sign the likes of Damien Cook and Cameron Munster. If we pay $800k for an okay Centre, that will be suicide for our club. We will be back to where we started with the Des cap mess. I hope this is just rumours by his manager to milk more cash from the broncos
An okay centre? He’s the best one in the game. Burton and Staggs would be lethal together. Every club would offer Staggs a mint. He’s worth it trust me.

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
just because we have been managing our cap well, doesn’t mean we should now stuff up our hard work and throw stupid money on a centre.
Lewis is on how much...

Staggs on basically the same amount I know which one I prefer and it’s not Lachlan!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We've saved money on our whole spine. Fairly cheap fullback, and our 2 halves. If we miss out on B. Smith (which is very likely) and we go with someone like Dietz we'll save even more. Yes there will be upgrades in the future IF we play really well but lets play well before we concern ourselves with that. It's not a guarantee. There will be plenty of money freed up in future in the next couple of years also when DWZ and Jackson come off contract. Staggs is one of the most dangerous in attack in the whole NRL. He can create from nothing and convert half chances when others would fail. We need more players like that no matter what position they play. I think he's worth 750K if we paid 650K for Cotric. If we shed Hopa (which we definitely should IMO) that will take care of the majority of his salary so what's the fuss ?.
This is all well and true, but we also have some very capable youngsters coming through in Schoup, and Alomoti. If Schoup gets a run in fg this year and kills it, would we really need Staggs? Then we also have to make space for Alomoti. Or would you be prepared to see him walk?
Its not quite as simple as fitting him into our cap. We need to look at our whole squad moving forward, as well as who we are grooming for the future.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The info we have for 2022...
1 Allen..................$450k *
2 JAC....................$550k *
3 Cotric.................$650k
5 DWZ...................$800k approximately
6 Burton................$500k *
7 Flanagan............$350k *
* Expect a demand of upgrade if we are successful...that's what usually happens !
How much can we really afford to pay for Staggs ???

We are interested in him !!!
The demands are the obstacle...
Brisbane have plenty of brown paper bags :nomouth:
Piss DWZ off there should be enough to spread around....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is way better then "ok"! But I agree, we can't be spending 800k on him. I call bullshit.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just because you don't rate him? He can play fb and wing, and is a regular in our side. How much do you think he is worth?
Much less than that
What im saying is we need some better value, and maybe that 300 should be going elsewhere

Also need to clear out all Pays signings where the player managers held us to ransom to get a signature

edit: And yes I dont rate him, hes a cat

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cook's current contract signed in 2018 until 2023 is $900k per year. Munster signed a 4 year deal in 2018 for $3.6m, that's also $900k. If they signed a contract today they both would be over $1m.

Go Dogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without Staggs, JAC would be the only real star player we have next year (I'm talking about Australian or State of Origin rep) Cotric couldn't even make the NSW 17. If the Bunnies can afford Mitchell, Gagai, Walker, Reynolds, Murray. Cook, Arrow all on huge money, The Roosters Tedesco, Keary, Manu, Cordner, etc, the Panthers, Crichton, Luai, Cleary, Yeo etc all on huge money we'd have to be able to afford 1 player on 800K. Storm have Munster, Papa, Grant. Why are these teams all favs to win the comp ? Because they have "multiples" of the best players in the comp. I really don't understand people complaining if we sign a few. There's no guarantee players like Averillo, Schoupp, etc are going to be superstars. Do we want to compete for top 4 or just remain average or below ?

Last edited: