The Mole: Big-money Bulldogs favourite to sign gun Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come origin time it’ll be like the glory days early 2000s when the teams are stacked with doggies players and we play second string teams in the season.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
In two years time centres will be on more money... there’s no doubt all players will be with inflation. Spending 800k on him would be an investment and pretty much secure a red hot backline for years to come... With 4 million to spend next year, we still have plenty of cash to spend on a hooker and maybe another front rower to replace Napa.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon Meaneys on a packet for what he provides, well over double of Oko
It would be interesting to have Staggs Cotric and JAC in the same team, what happens when Burton needs an upgrade?
Why would you think that? He is still on the same contract he signed years ago when he was yet to make his fg debut???

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why would you think that? He is still on the same contract he signed years ago when he was yet to make his fg debut???
Meaney is believed to be on around 300k.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd be trying to offload dallin, not resign hoppa and make staggs happen... He is a competitor, I call him a footballer... Plays tough. Probably barba was the last time we had someone that was exciting to watch and had the potential to make something happen any time he had the ball no matter where he was on the field..... A game winner

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Where did he pull 800k from lol. 800k for a centre. That would be ridiculous. Hes an ok player but worth more than established backs jac and cotric? I dont think so. They should sack the board if they allowed that to happen

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Because they signed him on an inflated contract on potential.
You are correct, the uninflated contract was ~$110k which was then inflated to ~$250k. We also paid for his relocation costs and some other incidentals that are not included in the cap.

Go Dogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We may call it poor cap management if the reported 800k is true but I ask the question, if Staggs @800k was the fullback and Allen @500k is the centre, winger, 5/8 isn’t that reasonable?? It doesn’t matter that Staggs is the centre in this case and Allen is the fullback, we’ve saved on FB money.
We've saved money on our whole spine. Fairly cheap fullback, and our 2 halves. If we miss out on B. Smith (which is very likely) and we go with someone like Dietz we'll save even more. Yes there will be upgrades in the future IF we play really well but lets play well before we concern ourselves with that. It's not a guarantee. There will be plenty of money freed up in future in the next couple of years also when DWZ and Jackson come off contract. Staggs is one of the most dangerous in attack in the whole NRL. He can create from nothing and convert half chances when others would fail. We need more players like that no matter what position they play. I think he's worth 750K if we paid 650K for Cotric. If we shed Hopa (which we definitely should IMO) that will take care of the majority of his salary so what's the fuss ?.

I'm not too sure this is BS. Remember that guy who claimed he spoke to Arthur Laundy a few weeks ago (and had a selfie with Arthur as proof). He said Arthur mentioned we are hot for Staggs

Last edited: