The Mighty Have Fallen (Bulldogs & Broncos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
This article was in the Courier Mail today. I have highlighted the parts that relate to the Bulldogs.

It describes us as "a club on the slide"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Courier Mail 17/3/06

The mighty have fallen
By Bernie Pramberg

Fans of the Bulldogs and Broncos are now used to losing, writes Bernie Pramberg

THE Broncos and Bulldogs have one thing in common -- they've lost that winning feeling. Neither club has won an NRL match since July. The Bulldogs, plummeting from 2004 premiers to one place above the cellar in 2005, had their last win on July 22 when they beat the Broncos 29-22 at Telstra Stadium.

A deafening explosion ignited by hooligans in the north-eastern grandstand 10 minutes before fulltime was more newsworthy than the win. That incident symbolised a litany of off-field controversies that have swamped the Bulldogs since the salary cap crisis in 2002 and Coffs Harbour rape allegations in 2004. A club in denial, infighting between former greats and speculation over the retention of players contributed to a slide, which is going to take a lot of stopping.

The Broncos' most recent win, that even their most fervent fans may struggle to recall, was on July 30 when they survived a controversial decision by the video referee for an uncon-vincing 24-18 victory against Canberra at Suncorp Stadium. In what has become a familiar scenario, Brisbane subsequently lost their last seven games of last season, just as they'd crashed to six straight defeats to end 2004.

The Broncos were free of the catastrophic off-field dramas that turned the Bulldogs into a soap opera, but tough questions needed to be asked. Like all footy clubs, there were contributing circumstances -- injuries, impact of the State of Origin series (ad nauseam), ageing playing staff and salary cap constraints.

There were reviews at Red Hill, with a cleanout of coaching staff the major result. Out went Gary Belcher, Kevin Walters, Glenn Lazarus and John Dixon (already signed to coach in Wales). The fallout guaranteed the 2006 Broncos and coach Wayne Bennett would come under unprecedented public and media scrutiny.

After mediocre pre-season trial form, last weekend's premiership opener against the Cowboys turned up the heat. That 36-4 loss, and the Clydesdales' 36-10 loss to the NQ Young Guns, also raised the temperature. Sure, Darren Lockyer was short of a gallop and Brent Tate, Tonie Carroll, Sam Thaiday and Barry Berrigan were out injured.

It's early days, but the Broncos' lack of pace in key positions, allied with a deficiency in depth, loom as major problems. Ironically, those areas were taken for granted as strengths of the club for so many years.

Brisbane has eight internationals on its books (so do the Bulldogs) and the form of seasoned campaigners Lockyer, props Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva and Carroll will be a major issue. Lockyer and Webcke are champions, and together with Carroll they have endured more wear and tear than most in recent years. Webcke, freed of the shackles of rep football last season, had a fine year. But Civoniceva too often looked one-dimensional and predictable.

Lockyer's defensive work and enthusiasm last week were questionable, and Bennett's steadfast refusal to consider him at fullback limits options. And why wasn't Brett Seymour introduced to last week's game earlier? The Broncos did not set the world on fire early last season, winning two of their opening four matches. They then won 10 straight to lead the competition before that all-too-familiar late slump.

Emerging players have never had a better chance to secure first grade spots. Neville Costigan, Sam Thaiday, Ben Hannant are very good forwards, with Steve Michaels and Leon Bott exciting out wide. It won't be easy for Brisbane, but the Bulldogs face a tougher battle.

To be fair, season-ending injuries to Sonny Bill Williams, Luke Patten, Trent Cutler, Hazem El Masri and Brent Sherwin weighed heavily on their miserable finish last year.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How nice of them to add that last paragraph after saying all that ****

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
all two lines of it

missing about 5 or 6 players but that alright

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
Thanks Bernie.

Slow news day so I'd better write about the Bulldogs

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think the Courier Mail has ever written a positive article about us. Theyre blaming off field distractions on our recent losses. What a load of bull****. If theres any reason for why we havnt performed well of late its because half our team was sitting in suits on the sideline!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm how about NO you lost cnt.

Last year we didnt have the same team for two weeks in a row! and I'm prttey sure the last time we competed in the Finals series we won the whole thing. EVERY team goes through a bad patch every now and then. We were cursed with some VERY bad injuries to key players. At one stage we had more Internationals sitting on the sidelines then most clubs have in ther team. It's hard beating a full strength team with a PL team.

Broncos on the other hand are complete sht. When was the last time they won a Finals game? 2000? 2001? Every coach knows Wayne Bennett's dumb ass predictable tactics. 5th tackle----Lockyer. Find touch----Lockyer. Direct play----Lockyer. Their forward pack is as old as Pauly Shore's jokes, their coach should have retired 5 years ago, their chief playmaker cant defend if his life depended on it and the Broncos seem to believe the hype praised upon them by their arrogant fans.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A deafening explosion ignited by hooligans in the north-eastern grandstand 10 minutes before fulltime was more newsworthy than the win.
LOL

What a complete assclown! As if that game didnt have you on the edge of your seat! Yes "deafining" that ringing in my ears has made me deaf till this day.

You got to love the media dont you. Where would I get my laughter from without them?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bernie Pramberg:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
atomic_crimson said:
haha thats hilarious andrew
:D Thanks.

What's doin with your signature?

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i think the plights of Brisbane and Canterbury are very different... the Bulldogs had a disastrous year last year no doubt and it can't all be explained away by injuries... but the 3-4 years before that were very good including the 17 in a row in '02 and the premiership in '04... but a reversal of form, the return of some players (guess who!?!), and the Bulldogs will be a force again

the Broncos, though, look stale, old, and bogged down in a style of play that has not been successful in the better part of a decade... the forwards are too old, too slow, too one dimensional, and lacking in the necessary physical conditioning... the Broncos are in a good position with regards to outside backs with Tate, Hodges, Hunt, Berrigan etc. but the halves just don't cut it... Lockyer doesn't have the time and space at five-eighth to contribute in attack as he once did as a fullback and is a liability in defence... Seymour is not the answer at halfback and the Brisbane club should have done more to retain Berrick Barnes... for me, its no wonder they fade away every year when September comes around

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont try and drag the Dogs down with the Broncos. We all know who the Septemner chokers are.

[Not including Roosters, Dragons and Eels]

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
^
we're too old, too slow and unfit.

But I've come to terms, I know the golden days are over, and its true, no doubt that the tables have turned since back in the days, but thats just the way it is, remember eels in 00/01, a good example of what a few years does to a team in the modern era.

Gone are the days where the tippers tipped roosters/dogs/broncos every week.

Makes the footy better imo.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
*resists urge to have a ***** about the broncos here :p*

I think its BS that the dogs are on the slide, I think they just had a struggle last year, especially with all the injuries, they barley lost round 1 this season, and had a fantastic round 2. Their halves comno looks in good hands, their forwards are still argressive and scare the **** out of opp. So how exactly are they on the slide? And yes whilst the Broncos have some promising stars, how is the road to success more difficult for the dogs then the Broncos?

Status
Not open for further replies.