The merry-go-around to get Mahoney early

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This stuff with Brandon Smith and pushing for an early release could really help us potentially get Mahoney early (2022) with the news that Parra are interested in Verills.

If Storm release Brandon Smith early to go Roosters, they'll release Verills early to go Eels who will hopefully release Mahoney early to come to us. I think the next stumbling block would be salary cap; hence why we are keen to get rid of Cotric early. It seems like its a lot of dominos that have to fall for it to happen though.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This stuff with Brandon Smith and pushing for an early release could really help us potentially get Mahoney early (2022) with the news that Parra are interested in Verills.

If Storm release Brandon Smith early to go Roosters, they'll release Verills early to go Eels who will hopefully release Mahoney early to come to us. I think the next stumbling block would be salary cap; hence why we are keen to get rid of Cotric early. It seems like its a lot of dominos that have to fall for it to happen though.
In which case why are we being heavily reported in the media as the first domino to fall? Smells like Klemmer and RSmith all over again.

The chances of BSmith being released a year early by Melbourne to play for the Chooks is slim at best. It would be rewarding him for being a dickhead, he goes to where he wants to be and gets big pay rise at the same time. Hardly punishing him.

In which case we could easily be left with Cotric gone, having only sub (his) standard replacements, and no Mahony.

Always a Bulldog

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In which case why are we being heavily reported in the media as the first domino to fall? Smells like Klemmer and RSmith all over again.

The chances of BSmith being released a year early by Melbourne to play for the Chooks is slim at best.

In which case we could easily be left with Cotric gone, having only sub (his) standard replacements, and no Mahony.

Always a Bulldog
Storm will NOT be releasing Fat Fuck Cheese early. Give up that dream. They are already very light in the forwards and wont give up one of their better prospects.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

The chances of BSmith being released a year early by Melbourne to play for the Chooks is slim at best. It would be rewarding him for being a dickhead, he goes to where he wants to be and gets big pay rise at the same time. Hardly punishing him.

Always a Bulldog
I don't think that's the way Gus operates, Fam. If we release him before next year, it will be so we can bring someone else in for 2022. If there's nobody to bring in, I really don't see us releasing Cotric prior to 2023. Namaste

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tui Kamikamica, Nelson Asofa-Solomona still have their careers up in the air for different reasons and they have lost Dale Finucane to the Sharks. For that reason alone they will not be releasing Fat Fuck Cheese. They are very light on forwards and experience.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't doubt for a second that clubs took notice during the Klemmer hissy fit. He got away with it partly because we were going south performance and expectation wise, and partly because we had a brand new first-timer NRL coach. Clubs saw how that went for us.

No way is Bellyache going to go down the same path. Cheddar himself knows it, hence he backtracked so quickly from what he said in the podcast. Basically he is either going to front up for the Strom this season or Bellyache will sit him down and make him watch each week.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder if Melbourne will demand that he pay the $50k suspended fine that they handed out to him after the "I don't remember" cocaine incident?

Always a Bulldog

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I can't see Storm releasing him tbh
Bro, they already have Tui Kamikamica facing assault charges for slapping some female around outside of a pub in Brisbane and stood down, big Nelson Asofa-Solomona has stated he wont be getting vaccinated so his career is in limbo. Add to that they lost Dale Finucane and Nico Hynes to the Sharks. That's a lot of experience and star power already missing. So NO, they won't be releasing Fat Fuck Cheese.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think any of those players will leave their current clubs a year early. We should know first hand with Burton's situation how difficult it is to get an early release. Especially for top 8 teams who need those players you mentioned. Cotric looks to be on the move though.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A quality 9 like Mahoney would push us beyond just being a top 8 contender in 22. If moving on the overrated/overpaid likes of Allen and Cotric, we need to do this.
Even if it only means we can only sign another quality player for 23, it's far better to be proactive than than just reactive

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think any of those players will leave their current clubs a year early. We should know first hand with Burton's situation how difficult it is to get an early release. Especially for top 8 teams who need those players you mentioned. Cotric looks to be on the move though.
I'm pretty confident that unless Gould gets something pretty substantial in return Cotric won't be going anywhere.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that unless Gould gets something pretty substantial in return Cotric won't be going anywhere.

Always a Bulldog
Cotric going is a substantial return in it's own. 650k for us to use more appropriately isn't bad in a salary capped environment.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be VERY suprised if the Roosters release Verrills. Surely it's him and Smith as Roosters hookers, with Freddy Lussick or Ben Marschke to go (or both).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd be VERY suprised if the Roosters release Verrills. Surely it's him and Smith as Roosters hookers, with Freddy Lussick or Ben Marschke to go (or both).
Watson has been bought to play a bit of hooker and lock, 14 role. If Roosters sign Smith they don't need Verrills anymore and Verrills won't want to stay either.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Totally agree... Verrills provides too much bang for buck assuming his contract isn't massive...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cotric going is a substantial return in it's own. 650k for us to use more appropriately isn't bad in a salary capped environment.
Can I respectfully suggest that you give up on the $650k it's factually incorrect. It includes a substantial amount of outside the Cap stuff like temporary accommodation costs last year plus relocation costs (sell house, agents fees, buy new house, refinancing cost, stamp duty etc) , car allowance, medical insurance costs, and at least 1 x TPA. He may also be on an education allowance, not sure about that one.

Plus more importantly what good is $430k (closer to the actual number) if there is no one as good or better for the same amount? Replacing him with an inferior player achieves nothing in regards to our march up the ladder.

Always a Bulldog