The Mardi Gras vs the ANZACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You keep saying about the large divide in Australia and we are becoming like America etc.
We are sick of every little group thinking if they scream and shout they’ll get their own way every single time regardless of the thoughts and subsequent impacts on the large majority of the population. I know nothing about the proud boys but I don’t follow or obsess over the media

You want a practical suggestion for an Anzac march? For starters allow them to have the numbers protesters do would be a good start
Ok good but if its 500 marchers then there will be socially distanced crowds lining the streets I assumed? So thats more numbers?

I'm not trying to wind you up. Just looking to get some real solutions to the grievances people have.

Every little group want to have their opinions validated as well as the silent majority.

The silent majority comprise lots of little off shoots and interest groups it's self.

I don't mind minority groups having their say bc in a free society they have the same rights.

It's complicated.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You keep saying about the large divide in Australia and we are becoming like America etc.
We are sick of every little group thinking if they scream and shout they’ll get their own way every single time regardless of the thoughts and subsequent impacts on the large majority of the population. I know nothing about the proud boys but I don’t follow or obsess over the media

You want a practical suggestion for an Anzac march? For starters allow them to have the numbers protesters do would be a good start
The divide I worry about with us becoming like America is every faction thinking they are the correct ones and the rest are wrong.

Its the left v right
The Libs v Labor
The churchies v unbelievers
The progressives v conservatives
The NRL v Bulldogs

The divide and conquer mentality that is pitting each group and individual against each other, rather than take the time to consider other opinions and negotiate and resolve problems to each sides benefit.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The divide I worry about with us becoming like America is every faction thinking they are the correct ones and the rest are wrong.

Its the left v right
The Libs v Labor
The NRL v Bulldogs

The divide and conquer mentality that is pitting each group and individual against each other, rather than take the time to consider other opinions and negotiate and resolve problems to each sides benefit.
The problem is that it's always some members of a group that instigate the conflict.

Take the Mardi Gras thing for example. Most Christians would say, "Cool, let them do what they want" and that's fine. Other Christians will start pulling out the homophobia cards and claim that they're acting under God's will when they attack homosexuals. The latter is the problem.

Same for the other side. Most LGBTQI members would be respectful of Christianity and the Church. They wouldn't openly attack religion just because there's a difference of belief. But other members do. The flyer being a prime example. They obviously made it knowing that it would offend Christians and that's disrespectful.

There's always people who think that their beliefs take priority over the existence of others. And that's where the problem lies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Side note. Telling a minority group that they don't deserve the same rights as everyone else (for example, marriage) isn't "defending your belief". It's just encouraging more conflict.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The problem is that it's always some members of a group that instigate the conflict.

Take the Mardi Gras thing for example. Most Christians would say, "Cool, let them do what they want" and that's fine. Other Christians will start pulling out the homophobia cards and claim that they're acting under God's will when they attack homosexuals. The latter is the problem.

Same for the other side. Most LGBTQI members would be respectful of Christianity and the Church. They wouldn't openly attack religion just because there's a difference of belief. But other members do. The flyer being a prime example. They obviously made it knowing that it would offend Christians and that's disrespectful.

There's always people who think that their beliefs take priority over the existence of others. And that's where the problem lies.
So true. A lack of respect that goes back to tit for tat childishness I guess.

We need some maturity brought to the wider discussion but if these demi God Trump like authoritarian figures and (he who shall not be named who promote them) keep controlling the narrative, things will only get worse unfortunately.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Grandpa never spoke about it. My Dad said his Dad didnt want to talk about it and us grandkids hardly knew of his service.

Only time they knew anything much of his service was on ANZAC Day once every year he caught up with mates from his battalion at a pub in Bankstown.

It must of been a horrific experience in those death stench, lice infested trenches :(
My Grandfather was in the British Navy, he served in WW1. He ended up getting discharged after their ship got shelled. He got shrapnel in his back after diving on top of a comrade to protect from the shelling. We only know that because it was written in his discharge papers. He would never really talk about anything to do with the war. He had once mentioned about chasing a ship half way around the world before they sunk it. Unfortunately he died before I was born so I only found this info out from my parents.

A few years back, thanks to the internet and hours of researching I ended up finding documents and information about my Grandfather and the ships he served on during his time in the navy, which I could trace his time frame and where and what he was doing and so forth. So got to learn more about my Grandfathers endeavours and involvement in the war that way.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My Grandfather was in the British Navy, he served in WW1. He ended up getting discharged after their ship got shelled. He got shrapnel in his back after diving on top of a comrade to protect from the shelling. We only know that because it was written in his discharge papers. He would never really talk about anything to do with the war. He had once mentioned about chasing a ship half way around the world before they sunk it. Unfortunately he died before I was born so I only found this info out from my parents.

A few years back, thanks to the internet and hours of researching I ended up finding documents and information about my Grandfather and the ships he served on during his time in the navy, which I could trace his time frame and where and what he was doing and so forth. So got to learn more about my Grandfathers endeavours and involvement in the war that way.
You can understand their reticence to talk about it. Sign of weakness still lingering in those days if you lost it in front of others. They tried to protect family too from the horrors I guess and had little by way of help to cope with re-living it.

They were called upon to kill, or be killed, and as with @N4TE grandfather's view, it is not in the average mans make up to carry out that task in the normal course of your life :(

It's good to find out your grandfather's past. There's a little bit of him in you and now know more of your roots.

They didn't ask to be involved in someone else's fight overseas but stood up when called upon and for the most part, the Allies carried themselves with distinction and humanity. The enlisted ranks served to the best of their ability. Can't say the same for the leadership.

All wars are cruel and pointless, in the end and there is always a loser.

When will we ever learn.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You can understand their reticence to talk about it. Sign of weakness still lingering in those days if you lost it in front of others. They tried to protect family too from the horrors I guess and had little by way of help to cope with re-living it.

They were called upon to kill, or be killed, and as with @N4TE grandfather's view, it is not in the average mans make up to carry out that task in the normal course of your life :(

It's good to find out your grandfather's past. There's a little bit of him in you and now know more of your roots.

They didn't ask to be involved in someone else's fight overseas but stood up when called upon and for the most part, the Allies carried themselves with distinction and humanity. The enlisted ranks served to the best of their ability. Can't say the same for the leadership.

All wars are cruel and pointless, in the end and there is always a loser.

When will we ever learn.
Firstly, I thank your Grandfather, and @MatstaDogg Grandfather for their service..That is why I would never, ever judge a person who ran away from the war. As until the reality of war and its horror is upon us, no person can fully understand, nor fully comprehend, the impact of it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Firstly, I thank your Grandfather, and @MatstaDogg Grandfather for their service..That is why I would never, ever judge a person who ran away from the war. As until the reality of war and its horror is upon us, no person can fully understand, nor fully comprehend, the impact of it.
It's such a shame we don't think more about the human cost of all conflicts in every part of our lives hey...especially to hold politicians accountable for these far reaching decisions...especially sad that PTSD is not dealt with satisfactorily even now.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ok good but if its 500 marchers then there will be socially distanced crowds lining the streets I assumed? So thats more numbers?

I'm not trying to wind you up. Just looking to get some real solutions to the grievances people have.

Every little group want to have their opinions validated as well as the silent majority.

The silent majority comprise lots of little off shoots and interest groups it's self.

I don't mind minority groups having their say bc in a free society they have the same rights.

It's complicated.
Who would you be more concerned about spreading covid? Families watching an early morning march on a road or drunk people (many of whom are self proclaimed to be promiscuous) at a parade/party in a confined space?
It’s a no brainer

Everyone should have EQUAL rights and the quiet majority shouldn’t miss out because they don’t scream and protest. I hate the squeaky wheel gets the oil mentality

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Kelpie did you realise what you just wrote :grinning:

But yes, however, I was referring to the open minded way they help the homeless and their charity work that doesn't pick and chose.
As an elder of our church I'm involved in many functions and discussions, gay sex is and should always be taboo, Jesus is quoted in the bible as having said man who lays with man will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Our Church's moto is love and do anything you can to help the sinner but still hate the sin. For the record I believe that by far the great majority of gays have become gay because they fantasised so much about sex that their thoughts eventually lead them into the depths of perversity, ( just like alcoholics who become alcoholics from drinking beer, but eventually have to turn to spirits for relief)
Imagine trying to penetrate someone's anal passage would it not be sickening.
The best cure is to turn to God, pray as much as possible keep your mind clear, easy if your Catholic and you go to confession, (BTW I call it the monthly spiritual stock take).

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you mean, "perverse by Church standards"

It's not considered perverse in modern society. I feel I could make some Pell joke now but I won't out of respect for the Catholics.
It has since time memorial been regarded as a perverse act by the great majority of people of Christian background as well as many atheists.
Proof of this is that gays were often picked on and assaulted, and it was by church people, it was done by street hoods.
As for jokes if you believe in your facts you should explain them in an honest easily understood way, something you can't do with jokes.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its the left v right
The Libs v Labor
The NRL v Bulldogs

Great post mate, your last example the NRL v BULLDOGS has been my pet subject since the SL war.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It has since time memorial been regarded as a perverse act by the great majority of people of Christian background as well as many atheists.
Proof of this is that gays were often picked on and assaulted, and it was by church people, it was done by street hoods.
As for jokes if you believe in your facts you should explain them in an honest easily understood way, something you can't do with jokes.
It was treated wrong. The same way the European settlers treated Aboriginals like they weren't human.

Just because it happened, doesn't make it right.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How is it that the Mardi gras coming up in a few weeks is a free for all when people can March down the street in g-strings , no cap on people marching or watching

But for our proud brave ANZACS only 500 can March due to covid? These brave people defended our country and way of life . If they want to march, they certainly have the right. But have to enter a ballet to be selected in the cap of 500 to march?

But this mob at the Mardi gras? Covid dont exist for them hopping about (out of time) in g-strings and pulling faces? Is this ridiculous? Should they Show some respect to the ANZACS and acknowledge we are in a health crisis? What did they do to earn the right to march with less restrictions than the ANZACS? hoodwinked everyone to vote yes?

Wedding and funerals have been restricted,
can't go to church, sporting matches, noone can go to the tennis? Must wear masks on public transport? But Mardi gras it's basically a free for all?

What is going on?
For once you have created a totally moral thread by asking that question in principle, and I agree with you 100% for the first time ever! Simple answer is that Satan is in charge of the world now and shaping it just how he prefers it... backwards!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It was treated wrong. The same way the European settlers treated Aboriginals like they weren't human.

Ok so since you feel so strongly about that, freely give everything you own and earned to the indigenous people then. That will make up for the wrongdoings of our ancestors and help you sleep well at night... out on the street whilst watching your hard earned being destroyed by someone you did nothing against, nor wasn’t even present during those atrocious times.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok so since you feel so strongly about that, freely give everything you own and earned to the indigenous people then. That will make up for the wrongdoings of our ancestors and help you sleep well at night... out on the street whilst watching your hard earned being destroyed by someone you did nothing against, nor wasn’t even present during those atrocious times.
How is that even remotely relevant to what I said?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Simple answer is that Satan is in charge of the world now and shaping it just how he prefers it... backwards!
Not just now, since the bitch got kicked out of heaven and down to Earth, not hell, a fact that even the majority of Christians don't know/believe.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jus

Anyone hoping for justice on earth is just dreaming, all types of sex should be done in private hetro. gay or whatever.
Give me one good reason why gays should flaunt, parade and promote their type of sex in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.