Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's a good point, our Game against Liverpool will be a good test, if we can't beat them, we will not win this year.

Not that i think we will anyway, the amount of players fighting for a starting spot is crazy, Rashford will return from injury soon, Cavani may be up front with Ronaldo, or it could be Rashford.

All 3 players will not be happy if they are benched, it's a good problem to have but it would be hard to manage
I don't think the game against Liverpool is the benchmark personally. It's a massive game and one you guys would turn up to, so I'd actually expect you guys to get some type of result.

I think it's the consistency of your results. Some hard games coming up but if you can consistently get results then you can very well go on and do things.

The Atlanta games are important imo. You've gotta do well in Europe.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's a good point, our Game against Liverpool will be a good test, if we can't beat them, we will not win this year.

Not that i think we will anyway, the amount of players fighting for a starting spot is crazy, Rashford will return from injury soon, Cavani may be up front with Ronaldo, or it could be Rashford.

All 3 players will not be happy if they are benched, it's a good problem to have but it would be hard to manage
We’re prolly 5 points behind on the ladder really with who we’ve played instead of 2
Thought sancho was very good last outing when he came on, they will rotate between him Greenwood and rashford on the wings
Ronaldo and cavani will rotate up front

Pity we have no or little competition in the midfield, and not only little competition
Not much quality with Fred etc

Maguire varane huge losses at the back as lindleof and Bailey are well off the those 2
Very key 5-6 weeks for us, especially now with those 2 lads injured
I don’t think it’s going to be a good run for us, and possibly the writing on the wall for ole
Few injury’s have come at a bad time for him, as you can manage injury’s but in a congested 6 and all big dog teams
Not handy
Leicester Liverpool man city Spurs, couple of champions league games thrown in

Bad timing but it is what it is and a great chance for victor and Bailey to stand up

Wan bissaka also out of champions league

Disso about Maguire n varane tho

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Part of our problem in my view is the constant chopping and changing of the team.

Having a deep squad is a good thing.

A manager who fails to utilize his squad to the best of it's ability, not so.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the game against Liverpool is the benchmark personally. It's a massive game and one you guys would turn up to, so I'd actually expect you guys to get some type of result.

I think it's the consistency of your results. Some hard games coming up but if you can consistently get results then you can very well go on and do things.

The Atlanta games are important imo. You've gotta do well in Europe.
Those Atlanta games may well decide Ole's coaching career at United.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah! OK. I don't really know the background of it. Not that I disagree with Blind, but feel it pretty odd a national team coach throwing mud like that at such a big club like United. Bold move from his side .. and a little strange in all honesty
Maybe he is just saying what many think is blatantly obvious.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe he is just saying what many think is blatantly obvious.
Ha. Well, you said it.

I'm just trying to be a little more cautious in here as I don't want to upset the minors ;)

I'd say it's inappropriate for a national team coach to be commenting on such matters, and in such a way. It's not his position and isn't right imo. You know I agree with what he's saying, but still .. :grinning:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Those Atlanta games may well decide Ole's coaching career at United.
I think Ole is here to stay and can't see him going anyway no matter what the results. Nothing has changed re Ole in the last however many years but they still gave him a 3 year contract. Why would they change their stance now?

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Ole is here to stay and can't see him going anyway no matter what the results. Nothing has changed re Ole in the last however many years but they still gave him a 3 year contract. Why would they change their stance now?
Pressure is growing my friend.

You don't sign Ronaldo to play Europa League.

All you SCOUSERS hope he stays !!!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pressure is growing my friend.

You don't sign Ronaldo to play Europa League.

All you SCOUSERS hope he stays !!!
I fucking hope Ole stays mate. Everyone does mate. United fans included apparently hahaha

You guys honestly aren't that far off truly challenging, but ... I'm just not feeling him atm but maybe he'll prove me wrong these next few games?

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha. Well, you said it.

I'm just trying to be a little more cautious in here as I don't want to upset the minors ;)

I'd say it's inappropriate for a national team coach to be commenting on such matters, and in such a way. It's not his position and isn't right imo. You know I agree with what he's saying, but still .. :grinning:
No doubt he has his motives.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fucking hope Ole stays mate. Everyone does mate. United fans included apparently hahaha

You guys honestly aren't that far off truly challenging, but ... I'm just not feeling him atm but maybe he'll prove me wrong these next few games?
Ole is polarizing the fan base beyond belief.

I have never witnessed anything like it.

It's like there are two versions of reality.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with pretty much everything you have stated.

A huge percentage of United's fan base world wide must be odd as well.
So that means you think that Rashford was better under Mourinho?

What about Martial?

You disagree with Shaw being better under Ole?

Did you prefer when Mourinho was trying to convert McTominay as a centre back ?

I’m genuinely curious on which part you disagree with.

Which player would Klopp or Pep have improved more than Ole?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So that means you think that Rashford was better under Mourinho?

What about Martial?

You disagree with Shaw being better under Ole?

Did you prefer when Mourinho was trying to convert McTominay as a centre back ?

I’m genuinely curious on which part you disagree with.

Which player would Klopp or Pep have improved more than Ole?
After the treble winning side, when we were going through a major transition of sides in the mid 2000s, I remember there was a very vocal contingent knee-jerk part of our supporter base. Their catch cry at the time?

Sack Ferguson, Sell Giggs!!!

This Ole stuff is again just knee-jerk reaction shit. There are concerns there, however, Ole has taken steps (as much as is allowed) to rectify those concerns and now it's a matter of Ole bringing it all together. Given the job he has done thus far of assembling this squad, he deserves this season to get the best out of them.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Early in the season and plenty to play. You've got some top players there and are capable of going on a wee run as you've shown before. Who knows what will happen?

But ... From the outside ... I'd be frustrated too. Spent over 440m and still so far away from City, Liverpool and Chelsea imo.

You'll get some results but can you consistently get them to challenge for the title?
Are we really that far though?

I think there is a strong bias due to the style of play. City and Liverpool play a style of football that’s easier on the eye, but football is a results business and just like we finished above Liverpool last season, and were neck and neck with City until matchday 34, we have the ability to do the same and go one better this season.

I agree that the results haven’t been favourable this season, but City were 11th this time last season, United had less points this time last season as well, and we finished 1st and 2nd.

We just added 3 huge names to the team, they didn’t have a pre season to settle in. Let’s see how they go over the next month or two.

Replacing Ole won’t guarantee success.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After the treble winning side, when we were going through a major transition of sides in the mid 2000s, I remember there was a very vocal contingent knee-jerk part of our supporter base. Their catch cry at the time?

Sack Ferguson, Sell Giggs!!!

This Ole stuff is again just knee-jerk reaction shit. There are concerns there, however, Ole has taken steps (as much as is allowed) to rectify those concerns and now it's a matter of Ole bringing it all together. Given the job he has done thus far of assembling this squad, he deserves this season to get the best out of them.
I agree, he deserves the time to make the most of what he has. The expectation to win the league is only there because Ole has improved us to this point.

I’ve never seen a manager cop so much shit after taking over a side in 7-8th (when Mourinho was sacked) and taking them to a 3rd place and 2nd place finish the next two seasons.

We can sack Ole now, whoever we sign is going to have the same struggles. No manager is going to turn Fred into Kante etc.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haha.

I think he's referring to Daley Blind's father, Danny, who's now assistant coach at the Dutch national team? He ripped into Ole and United about having no identity etc. etc.

Maybe sour grapes about his son? Did he leave you lot on bad terms? I don't know.

The same Danny Blind who as a manager couldn’t qualify for the 2016 Euros with the Netherlands and then got sacked because he couldn’t qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, he deserves the time to make the most of what he has. The expectation to win the league is only there because Ole has improved us to this point.

I’ve never seen a manager cop so much shit after taking over a side in 7-8th (when Mourinho was sacked) and taking them to a 3rd place and 2nd place finish the next two seasons.

We can sack Ole now, whoever we sign is going to have the same struggles. No manager is going to turn Fred into Kante etc.
We heavily relied on Rashford last season, as much of a "shit" season he had, he was still very vital for us. The reason we opted for Sancho was because opposition sides were starting to double team Rashford and leave our right flank free. Greenwood, IMO is not at a stage of development to bring balance to our attack from RW. Sancho brings that. By having Rashford on the left and Sancho on the right (I think this will be very much first choice throughout this season), it stretches our attack, their defence and allows us to get away with McFred.

Then as impact subs you have the likes of Greenwood, Lingard, Martial to come on to provide fresh legs after Rashford and Sancho have already stretched and tired out defences.

Hence, from this perspective I can understand the reasoning of Ole neglecting CM for one more transfer season.

The above of course, needs time to be bedded in, given that Rashford was injured and Sancho had no pre-season.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We heavily relied on Rashford last season, as much of a "shit" season he had, he was still very vital for us. The reason we opted for Sancho was because opposition sides were starting to double team Rashford and leave our right flank free. Greenwood, IMO is not at a stage of development to bring balance to our attack from RW. Sancho brings that. By having Rashford on the left and Sancho on the right (I think this will be very much first choice throughout this season), it stretches our attack, their defence and allows us to get away with McFred.

Then as impact subs you have the likes of Greenwood, Lingard, Martial to come on to provide fresh legs after Rashford and Sancho have already stretched and tired out defences.

Hence, from this perspective I can understand the reasoning of Ole neglecting CM for one more transfer season.

The above of course, needs time to be bedded in, given that Rashford was injured and Sancho had no pre-season.
Who do we have up front then, Cavani and Ronaldo.

Where does that leave Lingard and Rashford?

It's bloody hard being a coach these days, plus there is still talk of United buying Harland, where the hell is he going to play?

He won't want to be a bench player either

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we really that far though?

I think there is a strong bias due to the style of play. City and Liverpool play a style of football that’s easier on the eye, but football is a results business and just like we finished above Liverpool last season, and were neck and neck with City until matchday 34, we have the ability to do the same and go one better this season.

I agree that the results haven’t been favourable this season, but City were 11th this time last season, United had less points this time last season as well, and we finished 1st and 2nd.

We just added 3 huge names to the team, they didn’t have a pre season to settle in. Let’s see how they go over the next month or two.

Replacing Ole won’t guarantee success.
last season's results are a little deceptive IMO... Liverpool had a lot of injuries, Chelsea were trying to incorporate a lot of new players under an inexperienced manager, City were poor in the early parts of the season before going on their run, Covid, no fans etc.

football is results based and there are times when it does not matter at all how you have played... for example, does it matter now that the 2010 Spain NT was, playing wise, considerably worse on the eye than the 2008 version that won the Euros? of course not, they still won the World Cup... like Mourinho says, finals aren't there to be played, they're there to be won

it is though different when you look at a team over a longer term period like a 38 game long season of football rather than a 6-7 match cup... and poor play then can be indicative of problems that need fixing