Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rate Wenger, he actually transformed how football teams should play in the PL . An innovative coach who thought outside the box in his early tenure , just like Klopp in my opinion who has implemented his very own Gergenpress with relatively quick success.
And whilst I agree with most of your observations there is an important factor omitted as to why Arsenal became a selling club and that is the emergence of big spenders like Chelsea, Man City and other foreign clubs who inflated the transfer market by blowing all teams out of the water.
Wenger just like Klopp will not pay overs for players that will not make the difference.
Arsnelas early success was partly due Wenger uncovering gem players without spending too much money. The emergence of those big spending clubs however changed the football landscape .
yes and no... there are plenty of stories of Wenger almost signing great players and missing out for a host of reasons, including money but he did also spend a lot/too much on players --> Arsenal paid Real €47 million for Ozil 3 years after Real paid €18 million, Arsenal paid Barca €42.5 million for Alexis Sanchez 3 years after Barca bought him for €26 million, €45 million for Granit Xhaka etc.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
yes and no... there are plenty of stories of Wenger almost signing great players and missing out for a host of reasons, including money but he did also spend a lot/too much on players --> Arsenal paid Real €47 million for Ozil 3 years after Real paid €18 million, Arsenal paid Barca €42.5 million for Alexis Sanchez 3 years after Barca bought him for €26 million, €45 million for Granit Xhaka etc.
Xhaka was 45m? Fark. He's not as bad as people make out.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think those transfers you list are at a period where the player market had gone through the roof. Unfortunately if you wanted to remain active in the transfer market and sign quality players you had to pay for the privilege .
One thing Wenger was consistent in though was making Arsenal money via European football. He nearly always qualified for the CL which is A financial windfall for all participating clubs .

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think those transfers you list are at a period where the player market had gone through the roof. Unfortunately if you wanted to remain active in the transfer market and sign quality players you had to pay for the privilege .
One thing Wenger was consistent in though was making Arsenal money via European football. He nearly always qualified for the CL which is A financial windfall for all participating clubs .
Wenger was certainly a genius when in his prime. Had he left in his glory days think people would be talking about him just as much as Fergie, perhaps even more. Too manager.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why don’t you ***** create a football thread and fuck off there and keep this as a Manchester United thread
Yeah. Sorry mate. Just got carried away with what @alchemist was saying about Arsenal as it's an interesting point. But, get what you're saying.

Imagine you think that Fergie was better than Wenger in his prime? Have no idea personally as don't have the facts in front of me, but how was it head-to-head between those two?

Arsenal were a joy to watch in their glory days. Of course, United won more, but the better football I'd personally say Arsenal. Overmars. Bergkamp. Henry. Wright. Viera. Petit. Was nice to watch them.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and I thought I would defuse the "Manchester United is not interested in trophies" trolling... but hey...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
and I thought I would defuse the "Manchester United is not interested in trophies" trolling... but hey...
All you can do is try mate. All you can do is try. Clearly United are interested in trophies considering how much they've spent these past few years. We'll see if the gamble has paid off though!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Very good and balanced analsis as always mate. Agree with what you were saying. Caught most of the game live as I was hoping to watch you lot lose and I think you didn't have any shots on target after the 27th min? Not sure if that was right.

Pretty poor performance as it was definitely winnable with 10 men. You'll bounce back and get through to the next round as it's a very easy group, but you highlighted the midfield just as you've been doing for ages. Massive concern
Truthfully, the lack of midfield depth may spell the end of Oles time here if he doesn’t change something and fast. We’ve started slow the past two seasons but this season needs to be different now that we’ve got Ronaldo and Varane.

Ole got his subs wrong and that contributed to us being played off the park a long with the red card. Bringing on Lingard instead of Greenwood was a disastrous error, Matic should’ve come in sooner but at the expense of Lindelof, not Bruno.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Solskjaer inherited a mess at Old Trafford and so, he deserves some benefit of the doubt thus far (although the loss to Villareal was bad)... but he needs a trophy this year considering the team he now has (a League Cup, an FA Cup, whatever) and a top 4 finish
Man Utd wasnt too far off where Arsenal is now when Ole stepped in.

We spent a lot of money before Ole, it got us nowhere. Pogba was desperate to leave, Rashford had stagnated badly and Fred wasnt seen for months. Not to mention Luke Shaw was struggling to get into the team over Ashley Young.

At the club we don’t have a director of football, well not until 3 months ago at least. That means building the coaching staff, buying and selling players as well as overlooking any first team affairs falls right on the managers shoulders. Whilst at a club like Liverpool, they’ve got Michael Edwards who is specialized in overseeing all those affairs, and Txiki Begiristain doing a similar job at City, we rely on our manager to do all of that. So the role Ole has played in not only rejuvenating the side but some of the behind the scenes structures I’ve heard he has put in are a massive step forward for the club.

Only 2 seasons ago our best team included the likes of Lingard and Pereira. We played the worst style of football under Van Gaal and Mourinho and whilst we won a few cups, we were on a backwards trajectory. Under Ole, we’ve scored some of the best goals we’ve scored in a decade, we have hit 5 or 6 goals in a match numerous times and even gotten back into the conversation for the title. He has done a lot of good so far, however, he needs to win a trophy this season or he needs to go. He has had his time, and he is the best manager we’ve had post fergie, now it’s time to deliver the trophies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. Sorry mate. Just got carried away with what @alchemist was saying about Arsenal as it's an interesting point. But, get what you're saying.

Imagine you think that Fergie was better than Wenger in his prime? Have no idea personally as don't have the facts in front of me, but how was it head-to-head between those two?

Arsenal were a joy to watch in their glory days. Of course, United won more, but the better football I'd personally say Arsenal. Overmars. Bergkamp. Henry. Wright. Viera. Petit. Was nice to watch them.
Wenger became style of substance after that great invincibles team. They were obsessed with playing the game their way even if it meant coughing up results. Wenger is a genius, he revolutionized the game in England but not winning a European trophy will always hurt his case. He had the team in the year 2000s to pull it off and he came short.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Against young boys the fact we decided to park the bus after bissaka copped that red card pissed me of. Man city and chelsea would go on and win that 3-4 nil. Substitutions wise as well was an absolute joke.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Truthfully, the lack of midfield depth may spell the end of Oles time here if he doesn’t change something and fast. We’ve started slow the past two seasons but this season needs to be different now that we’ve got Ronaldo and Varane.

Ole got his subs wrong and that contributed to us being played off the park a long with the red card. Bringing on Lingard instead of Greenwood was a disastrous error, Matic should’ve come in sooner but at the expense of Lindelof, not Bruno.
I think this is a very good analysis if i'm honest. It's only one game, and Ole will be given time to rectify the mistakes but to the nuetral observer he really dropped the ball with the subs. He's learning I guess, so it's about the next game and seeing if he's built upon these lessons ... or not.

Gotta remember though, you were dumped out of the CL last season and lost the unloseable final. How much time will he be given? Was surprised Bruno came off personally as he can really unlock a game.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wenger became style of substance after that great invincibles team. They were obsessed with playing the game their way even if it meant coughing up results. Wenger is a genius, he revolutionized the game in England but not winning a European trophy will always hurt his case. He had the team in the year 2000s to pull it off and he came short.
Shit. YOu're right! Actually forgot how bad he was in Europe! Yeah. Great manager, breath of fresh air for the game but ...

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Against young boys the fact we decided to park the bus after bissaka copped that red card pissed me of. Man city and chelsea would go on and win that 3-4 nil. Substitutions wise as well was an absolute joke.
Chelsea got a red card against Liverpool and parked the bus 2 weeks ago, it cost them a goal

Yu keep attacking with 10 men u lose by 4, we should of salvaged a draw if it wasn’t for lingard bran snap

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Chelsea got a red card against Liverpool and parked the bus 2 weeks ago, it cost them a goal

Yu keep attacking with 10 men u lose by 4, we should of salvaged a draw if it wasn’t for lingard bran snap
Are you being serious or taking the piss ?
You are playing Young Boys who will never win the CL .
You can’t compare what Chelsea did against Liverpool to what your mob did against Young Boys . Huge difference in quality.
Why can’t you admit that Ole screwed up with his tactics and cost you the game?

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We spent a lot of money before Ole, it got us nowhere. Pogba was desperate to leave, Rashford had stagnated badly and Fred wasnt seen for months. Not to mention Luke Shaw was struggling to get into the team over Ashley Young.

At the club we don’t have a director of football, well not until 3 months ago at least. That means building the coaching staff, buying and selling players as well as overlooking any first team affairs falls right on the managers shoulders. Whilst at a club like Liverpool, they’ve got Michael Edwards who is specialized in overseeing all those affairs, and Txiki Begiristain doing a similar job at City, we rely on our manager to do all of that. So the role Ole has played in not only rejuvenating the side but some of the behind the scenes structures I’ve heard he has put in are a massive step forward for the club.

Only 2 seasons ago our best team included the likes of Lingard and Pereira. We played the worst style of football under Van Gaal and Mourinho and whilst we won a few cups, we were on a backwards trajectory. Under Ole, we’ve scored some of the best goals we’ve scored in a decade, we have hit 5 or 6 goals in a match numerous times and even gotten back into the conversation for the title. He has done a lot of good so far, however, he needs to win a trophy this season or he needs to go. He has had his time, and he is the best manager we’ve had post fergie, now it’s time to deliver the trophies.
It's MIND BOGGLING to me that someone with your undoubted knowledge of football and Man U in particular, can rate Ole, and our playing style.

You say he has got us back into title conversations. I say 400 MILLION QUID will do that.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Mate you're feeding the trolls. They're not interested in adult discussions as evidenced the past few pages where it has only now dawned on them about allegations against CR7 from 2019, also rather ironic that they support the Bulldogs who have allegations on them from Port Macquarie but yet sit here and judge our morals for supporting United's signing of CR7 (which I find fucked up in using a potential criminal matter as a means of trolling - IT IS FUCKING TROLLING, the context of the discussions make it painstakingly clear).

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Can’t argue with what you have said. Pretty unbiased summation.
The scapegoat for the lack of success has been the Glazers though, even though they have spent a lot of money .