The Manchester City Super Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
rumors are that man city are looking to Werder Bremen Brazilian star play maker Diego. hes a pretty good player but his discipline off n on the field have been terrible in the past couple of months
perfect replacement then :p

Sakril

Left Right Out
Reaction score
Robinho fled because he wants more brazilians in the team

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
City slickers or laughing stock?

By Simon Austin

The "wind-up merchants" were out in force on Manchester City's section of the BBC 606 message boards on Tuesday.

Nantastic taunted: "Kaka rejects City, Robinho storms out. Oh well, at least you snapped up Craig Bellamy." Another Manchester United fan, Micksametosis, told City's fans "I feel for you", before adding rather unsympathetically "...you poor, deluded saps".

City's executive chairman, Garry Cook, went on Radio 5 Live to defend the club's pursuit of Kaka but merely fuelled the derision.

He explained that City had tried to lure the Brazilian star to Eastlands by outlining their "humanitarian approach" and emphasising "environmental issues". Sadly "those issues were taking a back seat and the financial demands were coming to the fore" as negotiations progressed, he lamented.

Yet the pursuit of Kaka was hardly a foolish pipedream for City's billionaire owner, Sheikh Mansour. Landing a marquee name has been a central part of the billionaire's strategy from the day he bought the club.

The Sheikh and his advisors see City as a means of promoting Abu Dhabi around the world. As his key aide Simon Pearce explained when the sale went through last September: "For any company, but particularly for a United Arab Emirates' company with global ambition, (Manchester City) presents a great opportunity".

Marcel Desailly
AC Milan 1993-1998

While elevating City to the top echelons of the Premier League will inevitably take time, signing a superstar will give the club instant exposure and kudos around the world.

"Kaka alone was not going to make City a top-four team, but his signing would have taken the club to a whole new level in terms of media exposure," Nigel Currie, director of sports marketing agency Rapport, told BBC Sport.

The problem is that City may need to win a Champions League spot before they can land players of the calibre of Kaka.

Currie, who counts the Barclays Premier League among his clients, believes the failed pursuit of Kaka will still benefit City, however.

"The whole episode has raised the club's profile and status and put a marker down," he says. "Everyone knows they are now serious players in English football."

The club's owners now know that money alone is not enough to land a player of Kaka's stature though.

Gooaallaazziioo

Marcel Desailly, who played for AC Milan from 1993 to 1998, told BBC Sport: "If I had been in Kaka's position, I would have stayed in Milan as well, and I sincerely mean that. Money is obviously important, but Kaka already has a very large salary.

"You have to have played for Milan to understand what the club is all about. It is a family, they really look after you.

"There is such a heritage there, the facilities are the best and a winning mentality influences everything that goes on. It is so difficult to leave a club like that."

Desailly left the San Siro in 1998, when he swapped Serie A for Chelsea and the English Premier League at the age of 30.

The World Cup winner argues that the Blues were a more attractive proposition then than City are now.

"Chelsea are in London and they had at least achieved something in the six or seven years before Roman Abramovich arrived," the Frenchman explains.

Last summer Cesc Fabregas said moving to City would be "suicidal" for his career, while Dutch forward Klaas-Jan Huntelaar spoke of a "second-rate club" wanting to make him "very rich" on transfer-deadline day.

Despite the failure to land Kaka, the news has not been all bleak for City during the January transfer window. While the media's attention has been focussed on Kaka, City have been quietly finalising a deal to bring one of Europe's most coveted midfielders, Nigel de Jong, to Eastlands.
Nigel de Jong

The player's manager at Hamburg, former Spurs boss Martin Jol, describes the 24-year-old as a diminutive version of Michael Carrick, who will "thrive in the Premier League".

While not a galactico, De Jong is the kind of hungry, young player who can help City fight for the Champions League spot which might attract the likes of Kaka.

And while Bellamy may be widely derided, Hughes undoubtedly managed to get the best out of the Welsh striker at Blackburn, where he scored 13 goals in 22 games.

City are likely to continue to pursue a dual transfer strategy. Hughes will go after proven Premier League performers like Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz, while Cook will continue to chase the superstar player he and Sheikh Mansour so crave.

Cook, a former Nike executive who has said he wants City to become a "global empire" and "bigger than Manchester United", insists he has not been chastened by the Kaka experience or the failure to sign Ronaldinho last summer.

"It certainly doesn't put us off," he says. "We're extremely proud of the fact that we actually had a seat at the table to discuss bringing Kaka to this football club."

lol this made me laugh..you will NEVER be bigger than us, you secondrate club,you and you owners are the biggest laughing stock, go **** off and play for some arab city

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cook, a former Nike executive who has said he wants City to become a "global empire" and "bigger than Manchester United", insists he has not been chastened by the Kaka experience or the failure to sign Ronaldinho last summer.

what a stooge

D

dogs_4 lyf

HENRY YOU WANT NOW? noway in the world our man well go to the city scum

**** OFF

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
..bastards, he will never leave barcelona for manchester unless was for united, but we wouldn't do that :p

D

Dogaholic

I have heard from a mate who knows and catches up with a few epl players that Henry will be going back to Arsenal

D

dogs_4 lyf

..bastards, he will never leave barcelona for manchester unless was for united, but we wouldn't do that :p
u wish he would leave to go united:p he sitll bleads arsenal ahh wat us supporters would do to get him back:D

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
MANCHESTER CITY amazingly handed Hamburg £19million for Nigel de Jong despite knowing he would cost just £2.3m at the end of the season.
The Dutch midfield enforcer, dubbed the vacuum cleaner because he Hoovers up in front of the back four, has signed a four-year deal.

But City’s pursuit of the 24-year-old has made them a laughing stock as De Jong had a clause in his Hamburg contract stating he would be available for just £2.3m this summer.

So if the Eastlands mob had waited four months they could have bagged him for a staggering £16.7m less!

De Jong, who cost just £1m from Ajax in 2005, is the most expensive player to leave a Bundesliga club.

A Dutch source told SunSport: “Hamburg are laughing all the way to the bank.

“No one can believe that a club would act like this in the current economic climate.

“People in Holland are still shaking their heads. Nigel is a decent player but is he worth £16.7million for just four months? No way.

“City are just showing how little regard they have for money — and sense. It is ridiculous.”

Hamburg boss Martin Jol said: “The club just couldn’t refuse the offer.”

De Jong, who is in line to make his debut against Newcastle next Wednesday, said: “I feel very good.

“The ideas and the planning behind this club are very hopeful.”

Sakril

Left Right Out
Reaction score
Gianluigi Buffon: If I Was Kaka I Would Have Gone To Manchester City

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has dropped a bombshell by stating that, if mega-bucks should come his way, he would be happy to grab them.

Juventus fans will be having sleepless nights from now on after Gianluigi Buffon revealed he would have joined Manchester City if he was in Kaka's shoes.

The Italian goalkeeper may not have to be in Kaka's boots to join City though, as reports suggest the cash-rich Arab-owned club are still keen on landing him. What's worse is that Buffon has openly admitted he would leave Juve if such a mega-offer was to come his way.

"I know that teams are also clubs but I would have left if such a fantasy offer came my way," Buffon told La Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"All this talk about me leaving has been going on since I was 23. I am a football man and I know how to calculate things."

Juventus have been flying high this term and they are currently second in Serie A, three points behind bitter rivals and league leaders Inter. The goalkeeper will make his return from injury against Fiorentina later tonight, and he is happy with the Old Lady's good form.

"I am proud of our second place and the extraordinary comeback our team has achieved," continued Buffon.

"I am feeling fine; I wasn't suffering from a back problem - I had the flu."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We did fairly well with the four signings we made although it is a far cry from the superstar signings that were promised and mooted.

The money we paid for De Jong when we could have bought him for one tenth of that price in a few months is a complete disregard for money and sends a signal to other clubs that you can hold us to ransom over transfer fees. No business acumen on our part there.

We also overpaid massively for Bridge who hasn't barely featured for Chelsea for two years.

Given came at a fair price and is a great keeper. Joe Hart has promise but is still very young in keeping terms and has a tendancy to parry alot of shots that he should hold on to.

Bellamy is a very good striker on his day and Hughes has proven he can keep him under wraps but he operates best as a supporting striker to more of a physical, set up type partner and the closest thing we have to that is Benjani who is injured still.

The useless Jo got loaned out to Everton. Hopefully he can play and find some form there and come back to us and show he is worth a fraction of the 19 million we somehow paid for him.

I hope Petrov can come back at some stage this season. He was absolutely brilliant last year. I have no idea whats going on with Michael Johnson on the injury front either. I think Boijinov is near another return.

Lets hope the poor bloke doesn't break something else when he doesn come back and can avboid missing another 8 months for the third time.

On the Stoke game. It was quite pathetic really. We played with no depth and no brains.

Stoke deserved their points because they defended so well and really stifled anything we had to offer.

Still, to not come close to scoring against 10 men with the attacking talent we have is woeful.

We really have to do alot better away from home because 1 win away all season is dismal.

Status
Not open for further replies.