Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Put everything that is liverpool in this thread. Transfers, results, stadiums, and news.

Lets start things off shall we

Liverpool ready to submit new stadium plans

LIVERPOOL, England July 16 (Reuters) - Liverpool will submit the revised plans for their proposed new stadium to the city council before the end of the month, according to the club's chief executive Rick Parry.

The English Premier League side want to build a 60,000-seat ground that could be extended to a capacity of 80,000 and the stadium is expected to cost £280 million ($570.8 million) to complete.

If Liverpool gain planning permission, building work on the site next to the side's current ground Anfield could commence before the end of the year.

'We know pretty much know what the final plans are. They will be unveiled in the coming weeks,' Parry told reporters on Monday.

'I know people will be very excited with what they are, I have certainly been excited by them.

'Whether we build an extension is partly a business decision depending on what the demand will be.

'It is also driven by planning constraints with what we can achieve at the outset.

'Suffice to say, the whole idea is building a stadium that has expansion capacity and more room than the previous one.'

Liverpool decided to submit a new stadium proposal when American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks bought the club in March.

'The owners were concerned that if we were really going to be challenging long term, just in excess of 60,000 was too small,' Parry added.

'They have never made any secret that their plan was to get something significantly bigger.'

Parry also confirmed that the cost of the stadium would not become a debt burden on the club.

'At the end of the day, it's not about building monuments, it's about making an investment that will generate a return that will allow us to invest in the team,' he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Record signing Torres set for Liverpool debut

Record signing Fernando Torres could make his bow for Liverpool tomorrow in Switzerland.

The former Atletico Madrid striker is expected to shake off a slight ankle injury and face Werder Bremen in Grenchen.

Manager Rafael Benitez said: 'We had to wait for Fernando because he started training after the other players.

'We also needed to check his ankle but I think he'll be okay for our next game.'

Torres could link up with former Bayer Leverkusen striker Andriy Voronin. The Ukrainian marked his first start of the club with a fine display in the defeat of Crewe on Saturday in a friendly.

Benitez said: 'We know that Voronin is going to be another option for us. He has good game intelligence, he plays well between the lines and he has a lot of quality.'

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Liverpool linked to the next cannavaro

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini could be on his way to Liverpool after stating that the Bianconeri have neglected him.

The Italy U-21 captain claims that he is worried about his future in Serie A and is waiting for club officials to clarify their plans.

“No one has called me or tried to contact me,” he revealed. “They have focused on renewing the contracts of the important players and this is logical.

“However, they haven’t considered the players who gave their all to bring the team back to the First Division. I believe I might risk playing only 30 per cent of next year’s matches and I cannot agree to this.

“I have plenty of opportunities, but I only hope someone will call me to explain what the plan is. Unfortunately no one has done this so far.”

Reports in Italy suggest that Liverpool have offered £5m for the defender, although it is understood that the Old Lady value him at £7m.

The Premiership club are focusing on Chilleni after the deal to bring Manchester United left-back Gabriel Heinze – a former Juventus target – to Anfield stalled.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Liverpool newboy Yossi Benayoun has revealed the presence of former West Ham teammate Javier Mascherano will be a big help as he tries to settle into life on Merseyside.
The pair became friends during Mascherano's five months in east London, with Benayoun acting as an interpreter for the young Argentine.

"It will help me that Javier Mascherano is here already," said the Israeli playmaker. "I spoke with Javier a lot at West Ham because I was the only person there that spoke Spanish, and I acted as a translator for both him and Carlos Tevez when they first came over.

"When he was out of the team at West Ham, I told him that he could play at a bigger club no problems, and look how he ended the season – playing in a Champions League final."

Meanwhile, Benayoun is prepared to adapt in order to feature week in, week out at his new club.

"There is a big squad here, and when you agree to sign at a club like Liverpool you are already aware of these things," he said.

"I can play in several positions, but to tell you the truth I will play in any position as long as the manager picks me!"

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Xabi Alonso believes teammate Fernando Torres will not feel the pressure of being Liverpool's record signing.
Alonso insists the striker's time at Atletico Madrid, where he was both captain and star player, will stand him in good stead at Anfield.

He said: "I've known Torres, of course, since he first started playing in Spain.

"I think he can handle the pressure because he's experienced similar while at Atletico Madrid.

"Mentally, he is strong enough to deal with this. He knows there will be a lot of focus on him, particularly in the early days, but once he's scored his first goal that immediate pressure comes off.

"Fernando is someone who likes to work for his team. He always looks for the spaces and he's also someone who likes it played into his feet, which is good for the midfielders because we can use different options when looking to pass to him.

"He is so quick, he will cause a lot of problems for defenders. In the Premiership, the defenders are really strong, but I hope he will be able to get the better of them."

Alonso revealed he and his teammates are doing all they can to help the newboy settle into life on Merseyside. He believes this will ensure Torres is ready to make an instant impact on the pitch.

"We know Liverpool is different to other clubs, but that can be to his advantage. There are a lot of players here who've already achieved good things in the last few years, and it is our job to help him settle into the club as soon as possible.

"If we do that, it will allow him to show everyone what he's capable of.

"Of course we've been telling him about the city. I remember when I arrived – I tried to learn about the place as quickly as possible."

Meanwhile, Alonso insists the summer arrivals will spur on the existing players to reach new levels.

"The squad is a lot stronger. We've made good additions, each bringing different qualities. Overall, I think we'll be better," he said.

"I know it's going to be tough to get a place in my position, but it means everyone will be working hard in training and on the pitch to play, which is good for the club."

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
DIRK Kuyt has warned that Rafa Benitez's summer spending spree will go to waste unless Liverpool make a strong start to the season.

Kuyt has been impressed by Benitez's $100 million transfer blitz which has seen Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Yossi Benayoun and Andriy Voronin arrive at Anfield.

But the Dutch striker fears it will all be in vain if the Reds make the same mistake as last season. Despite another impressive European campaign, Liverpool's hopes of winning the Premiership were effectively over by the end of October.

By then they had won just four of their first 10 league matches while Manchester United, who went on to lift the title, recorded eight wins from the same number of games.

Kuyt, speaking after helping his side warm up for the new campaign with a comfortable 3-0 win at Crewe, said: "You can't win the title in the first few weeks of the season but you can certainly lose it.

"We had a slow start last season but this time it's important that we show we can do it from the start.

"I think it was a good thing to bring a few new players in. We certainly have to play much better than last year. I'm not worried about my place.

"It's important to get players to make the team better and the competition at Liverpool is now stronger than ever."

Kuyt was one of 22 players used by Benitez at Gresty Road as the Spaniard fielded two completely different teams at the start of each half.

Peter Crouch marked his first pre-season appearance with a goal while Lee Peltier and Ray Putterill, a member of last season's triumphant FA Youth Cup-winning side, also scored before Liverpool headed off to Switzerland for a training camp.

Voronin, a free signing from Bayer Leverkusen, also looked useful going forward.

Torres, the club record $62 million signing, was not risked as he is recovering from a minor ankle knock while Babel and Benayoun are also expected to make their first appearances for the club this week.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Liverpool Vs Aston Villa
First game of the Premiership
August 11

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
where abouts is the new stadium going to be, Are they going to tear down anfield and build it there, or do they have a different site?

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
where abouts is the new stadium going to be, Are they going to tear down anfield and build it there, or do they have a different site?
As the article states. Right next to Anfield.

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
Voronin shines on Reds debut

From correspondents in Berlin, Germany
July 18, 2007

UKRAINE striker Andriy Voronin scored twice to shine on his Liverpool debut as the English Premier League side defeated German Bundesliga team Werder Bremen 3-2 in a pre-season match.

Voronin, 27, who signed a four-year deal to moveh from Bayer Leverkusen to play for Rafael Benitez's team, scored once in each half and was a constant threat to the Bremen defence.

Liverpool, the 2005 European Cup winner and the losing finalist this year, warmed up for the match in Grenchen, Switzerland, with two friendly wins over British minnows Wrexham (3-2) and Crewe (3-0),.

Benitez also debuted to striker Fernando Torres, signed from Atletico Madrid, and midfield player Ryan Babel, from Ajax Amsterdam.

The game got off to a lively start when Voronin intercepted a pass and rounded Bremen goalkeeper Tim Weise to give the Reds a lead after just three minutes.

But Bremen was level three minutes later, when a shot clipped the post and forward Kevin Schindler headed home.

Liverpool's Norway midfield player John Arne Riise put the visitors ahead with a long-range free-kick just seven minutes later.

Voronin then clipped the crossbar with a shot early in the second half, but he made no mistake with a well-struck shot on 61 minutes.

The Ukrainian made way for Torres to make his debut soon afterwards, and Bremen pulled a late goal back when substitute Frank Loening saw his shot deflected into the net by Liverpool's Stephen Darby on 81 minutes.

Agence France-Presse

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reds have once again put too much in a Player... Fernando is only 23 and is now a Millionare thanks to Liverpool's big bank account... I reckon Torres is worth about about 10-13 Million Euros not 22 Million Euros...

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Go Chelsea!! Once again we will finish above you!!

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Screw Chelscum FC... Once again I hope they choke in the Important Games

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Lol, f*ck people here are so naive. Teams like Liverpool and Man U cant hack teams like Chelsea having more money then them.
In the EPL, liverpool will always be between 3 - 5.
They aren't consistent yet

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I respect Chelsea.