Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At 3-2 Liverpool should have received a penalty it could have become 3 all and changed the tempo of the game instead RM scored soon after, at 4 -2 it become a totally different game...That's football !
That's true and I'm still surprised we didn't get that penalty.

Football is a funny game without doubt. Will have to watch it again to fully understand wtf happened to go from 2-0 up t lose 5-2.

Did we just run out of legs?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's true and I'm still surprised we didn't get that penalty.

Football is a funny game without doubt. Will have to watch it again to fully understand wtf happened to go from 2-0 up t lose 5-2.

Did we just run out of legs?
I could be wrong but summing it up
1 The incredible effort to battle for the 4 titles last seasons is causing mental fatigue / physical issues this season.
2 Many major injuries all across the squad.
3 The failure by the club to adequately replace Coutinho then Wijnaldum, as a result almost every team parks the double decker against us, it is why we won the 2 cups last year on penalty shootouts. hell even Real did it in the final last year, didn't we have 23 - 1 shots at goal and they scored and won ?
If I was Jurgen Klopp I would demand this list of world class players from the owners, 1 Centre back 2 Attacking midfielders and 1 Holding midfielder, otherwise the future could become bleak.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
1 The incredible effort to battle for the 4 titles last seasons is causing mental fatigue / physical issues this season.
3 The failure by the club to adequately replace Coutinho then Wijnaldum, as a result almost every team parks the double decker against us, it is why we won the 2 cups last year on penalty shootouts. hell even Real did it in the final last year, didn't we have 23 - 1 shots at goal and they scored and won ?
If I was Jurgen Klopp I would demand this list of world class players from the owners, 1 Centre back 2 Attacking midfielders and 1 Holding midfielder, otherwise the future could become bleak.
No one parks the bus against us anymore :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From my perspective as a rival fan, your team just doesn't seem to have the same balance it used to have. When Thiago signed for you club I went back and forth in this thread with a couple of blokes regarding the shift in your system, and i think eventually that was Klopps biggest mistake.

At your best, you had three workhorse midfielders which shielded your defence and gave Trent and Robertson the ability to focus on their runs forward. You had a workhorse false nine midfielder who was willing to sacrifice his own stats to better two of the fastest wingers in Europe. You then signed:

Thiago - A finesse midfielder who has had a career interrupted with injuries.
Luis Diaz - A player who at that point was 24 and besides the year you signed him, had shown too many glimpses of poor finishing.
Konate - Has dealt with injuries since he debuted in professional football, only once played more than 21 games in a season before you signed him.
Nunez - Signed him at the age of 23 when he had only ever had one campaign of banging more than 15 goals (in all comps).

I rate all of these players as individuals, I think Diaz is one of the most exciting players to watch in the PL, and I think people have been too harsh on Nunez this year too, but the point stands, none of these players fit the profile of player that you had when you were flying between 2016-2019. Thiago isnt going to cover as much ground as Wijnaldum, Milner or Fabinho, which means Trent is called to defend more and therefore exploited. Diaz is fun to watch but he is the furthest thing from clinical which in reality is what you guys need to replace Mane. Konate has always been injured and no surprise he got injured a few times last year. Nunez is someone who needs to be leading the line, but then that leaves a big gap between your midfield and attack (where Firmino used to operate), and also leaves less room for Salah.

You had a perfect balance before and you shouldnt have tried to adapt as much as you did. Youre at a point now where the whole system must change to fit the new crop of players, and thats going to be one the biggest challenges in Klopps career to date.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
From my perspective as a rival fan, your team just doesn't seem to have the same balance it used to have. When Thiago signed for you club I went back and forth in this thread with a couple of blokes regarding the shift in your system, and i think eventually that was Klopps biggest mistake.

At your best, you had three workhorse midfielders which shielded your defence and gave Trent and Robertson the ability to focus on their runs forward. You had a workhorse false nine midfielder who was willing to sacrifice his own stats to better two of the fastest wingers in Europe. You then signed:

Luis Diaz - A player who at that point was 24 and besides the year you signed him, had shown too many glimpses of poor finishing.
Konate - Has dealt with injuries since he debuted in professional football, only once played more than 21 games in a season before you signed him.
Nunez - Signed him at the age of 23 when he had only ever had one campaign of banging more than 15 goals (in all comps).

I rate all of these players as individuals, I think Diaz is one of the most exciting players to watch in the PL, and I think people have been too harsh on Nunez this year too, but the point stands, none of these players fit the profile of player that you had when you were flying between 2016-2019. Thiago isnt going to cover as much ground as Wijnaldum, Milner or Fabinho, which means Trent is called to defend more and therefore exploited. Diaz is fun to watch but he is the furthest thing from clinical which in reality is what you guys need to replace Mane. Konate has always been injured and no surprise he got injured a few times last year. Nunez is someone who needs to be leading the line, but then that leaves a big gap between your midfield and attack (where Firmino used to operate), and also leaves less room for Salah.

You had a perfect balance before and you shouldnt have tried to adapt as much as you did. Youre at a point now where the whole system must change to fit the new crop of players, and thats going to be one the biggest challenges in Klopps career to date.
Yes you were right, Klopp moving so far away from what previously worked ruined us.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes you were right, Klopp moving so far away from what previously worked ruined us.
I think it could have worked if he changed the system more, but he tried to keep a similar style of play to before but completely changed the profiles of the players. He is still a top 5 manager in the world though and youre lucky to have him in your corner in a season like this.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think it could have worked if he changed the system more, but he tried to keep a similar style of play to before but completely changed the profiles of the players. He is still a top 5 manager in the world though and youre lucky to have him in your corner in a season like this.
The system has changed, it's just fucking shit lol. Our build up right now is totally broken for example. For whatever reason we send way too many players forward and too high in buildup and leave ourselves short, we then fail to move the ball around effectively from the back, hoof it up field and then end up losing possession and get caught out in transition. It has happened all season and I can not understand why Klopp does it. It's like we're trying to play the most high risk way possible.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wasn't that the issue though?

Ancellot said himself that we were 'easy' to set up against as everyone knew how we'd play. So, we had to try and tweak things especially if we were going to keep the same players who were only getting older?

What I'd say was that we didn't evolve as a team.

What I 'loved' about old Whiskey Nose was that he'd always add strength to strength. We didn't do that and it shows.

We need to start investing every year continually adding to the team to bring different qualities etc.

I'd also say that Klopp himself has been an issue this year. Has looked a little lost at times

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd agree to this in that we've never got that goal scoring midfielder in midfield after Countinho left nor properly replaced Gini.

We brought in Thiago to switch things up, but it didn't really work. This year Nunez to have a different approach to the game, but we went too far off what made us successful.

We're finding it hard to evolve as a team.

Not adding players when we're on top has been the biggest issue imo. We look absolutely gassed. Did really well in the first half but ran out of legs in the second.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thiago was brought in to break down the teams that parked the bus against us .He offered some guile and finesse which was missing our hard working no nonsense style midfield. The problem though was that teams stopped parking the bus and now come at us, especially down Trent’s side. Teams are no longer timid when they play us. They have an attacking game plan .
Also , the midfield that delivered in the past 5 years have all aged and some have one up to their used by date . Milner and Henderson should not even be on our books.The youngsters that Klopp has blooded into the squad ave not lived up to expectations or are not at that level just yet.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Spot on, not bad for a rival fan :laughing:
Liverpool fans can see it the opposition fans can see it I am certain someone like Klopp can also see it but unfortunately it seems FSG think they can patch-up the void by taking gambles on players like Thiago Keita Oxelade-Chamberlane and the latest Melo, these player are good and can be exceptional until they brake down, other players can't be relied on they are either too young or too old and injuries prone.
If FSG doesn't come to the party next trading window, Klopp will leave :rage:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd agree to this in that we've never got that goal scoring midfielder in midfield after Countinho left nor properly replaced Gini.

We brought in Thiago to switch things up, but it didn't really work. This year Nunez to have a different approach to the game, but we went too far off what made us successful.

We're finding it hard to evolve as a team.

Not adding players when we're on top has been the biggest issue imo. We look absolutely gassed. Did really well in the first half but ran out of legs in the second.
True, also injuries makes evolvement that much harder,
The great one Warren (wok) Ryan used to always repeat " even when you are the best but you rest on your laurels others will catch up and take your place ' how true !

Paul Depodesta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t even know what t9 say to describe this team anymore
klopps lost the playing group, we’re full strength and still playing garbage
only have to look at his time managing elsewhere and it’s clear he runs out of ideas, thanks for everything kloppy but time to go I’m afraid
it’s not like we’ve got a shit team, is say best attacking options in the epl

Paul Depodesta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I personally would of spent the huge m9ney we spent on Nunez and gallop on a top midfielders
that’s a klopp mistake, or sign ga and use Nunez huge money on a top notch CM

Paul Depodesta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's funny tho as people like writing players off. God knows if Nunez will succeed tho it seems as tho he's on the right track.

He's far from a flop tho which anyone can see.
Problem is he cost huge money, can’t be waiting for blokes costing that money to come good hence why his a flop
if he cost 20 mil fair enough

but you can’t be saying give him time, his rough around the edges, he needs to tune his accuracy

for 100mil tha asshole better come with laser guided misses to his foot

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
BAHAHA!!

You all laughed at me months ago when I said it has gone stale.

Klopp is done out here.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Problem is he cost huge money, can’t be waiting for blokes costing that money to come good hence why his a flop
if he cost 20 mil fair enough

but you can’t be saying give him time, his rough around the edges, he needs to tune his accuracy

for 100mil tha asshole better come with laser guided misses to his foot
Haha. Fuck. I just need to say something before I go back to my world of bliss with you being blocked.

He didn't cost that much mate. You seem to be one for sticking to the facts apparently so thought I'd point that our for you.

Still to the flop call is absolutely hilarious.

My Turk friend.

Now back to the bliss of not having to read your dribble