Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People getting a bit carried away with that game.

I thought we were excellent and I'm glad I watched the game. Fabino in the middle made a huge difference as Thiago looked a lotbetter also. Overall it was a very pleasing result but ...

Thought defensively we were lucky a few times. Not sure how well we'd fare against Mbappe or Haaland for example. Kabak has looked pretty decent the last few games he's played, but still the CBs are a little shaky in their synergy. Would be nice seeing them get a run of games together ... though knowing our luck they'll get injured having a shower after the game.

Plenty of positives from that game. Plenty. Keep the team fit till the end of the year and who knows what'll happen. Maybe we can still get top 4? Though it really is just one game at a time now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People getting a bit carried away with that game.

I thought we were excellent and I'm glad I watched the game. Fabino in the middle made a huge difference as Thiago looked a lotbetter also. Overall it was a very pleasing result but ...

Thought defensively we were lucky a few times. Not sure how well we'd fare against Mbappe or Haaland for example. Kabak has looked pretty decent the last few games he's played, but still the CBs are a little shaky in their synergy. Would be nice seeing them get a run of games together ... though knowing our luck they'll get injured having a shower after the game.

Plenty of positives from that game. Plenty. Keep the team fit till the end of the year and who knows what'll happen. Maybe we can still get top 4? Though it really is just one game at a time now.
We're winning the Champions League and finishing 9th in the League.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fab back at the base of that midfield made the world of difference
Yup, Klopp fucked up so hard playing him and Hendo at centre back. He protects the defence and allows our midfield to press like lunatics (Gini today). Just need our forwards to actually not be fully shit 90% of the time with the ball lol.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yup, Klopp fucked up so hard playing him and Hendo at centre back. He protects the defence and allows our midfield to press like lunatics (Gini today). Just need our forwards to actually not be fully shit 90% of the time with the ball lol.
Our forwards will start scoring again. Our whole game relies completely on our press, without it we are fucked.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our forwards will start scoring again. Our whole game relies completely on our press, without it we are fucked.
Our forwards have been extremely poor either way imo. Even with us playing like duds they still had opportunities and either failed to create chances or finish them. Mane can barely beat a single defender these days compared to last season when he was running at them for fun and holding off multiple defenders while retaining the ball. Salah just plays slow and holds the ball way too long and loses possession while Bobby thinks he's playing DM lol.

But yes, we need our midfield to be firing to carry the team at this stage and focusing on our press and quick transition seems to be the only way we can generate goals with our forwards so badly our of form and our lack of effectiveness at set pieces. Klopp should prioritise the midfield when naming the 11 and worry about the rest from there...Kabak and Phillips at least look to be improving so hopefully they can do a reasonable job.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fab back at the base of that midfield made the world of difference
Shhhhhhhh.
Don’t tell this to some in here who want to diminish the impact our injuries have had on the team this season.
Fabinho was excellent playing in the middle which is his best position.
We played well, but our front 3 can play even better and be more clinical.
We need to improve if we are to make a run in the CL .
Lets face it, we’re not a penalty whore football side like some others, who like to pass off goodish players as “world class” because they convert penalties.
One thing I know is that nobody will really want to face us in the next round. We seem to do very well in 2 legged knockout matches.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Klopp got the midfield selection spot on and Kabak played really well.

Klopp can turn this around, he just needs more quality options in the squad.

The injury excuses are getting old especially when you can't beat relegation teams, it has nothing to do with injuries it's Klopp & maybe the players have lost that hunger to maintain focus in the 38 game grind of the PL. Mentally they might be better suited to a cup competition as the performance against Leipzig showed.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Klopp got the midfield selection spot on and Kabak played really well.

Klopp can turn this around, he just needs more quality options in the squad.

The injury excuses are getting old especially when you can't beat relegation teams, it has nothing to do with injuries it's Klopp & maybe the players have lost that hunger to maintain focus in the 38 game grind of the PL. Mentally they might be better suited to a cup competition as the performance against Leipzig showed.
Think it's a good point about the mentality. Maybe the cup competition is better suited for them now?

Agree that he can turn it around. Really depends on teh next game though and if we see a reaction in the EPL. If they can keep this back 4 and midfield together for a number of games then anything is possible I guess.

Interesting that you say that about Kabak. Most people have been lauding Phillips, but I think Kabak was better. Phillips was perhaps more visable with his headers etc. but I think he rushed in a few times which left space behind him for them to exploit. In saying that, Kabak did this once or twice too also. The more they play together the better though, so hopefully they can continue for the rest of the year ... that's too much to ask though!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our forwards have been extremely poor either way imo. Even with us playing like duds they still had opportunities and either failed to create chances or finish them. Mane can barely beat a single defender these days compared to last season when he was running at them for fun and holding off multiple defenders while retaining the ball. Salah just plays slow and holds the ball way too long and loses possession while Bobby thinks he's playing DM lol.

But yes, we need our midfield to be firing to carry the team at this stage and focusing on our press and quick transition seems to be the only way we can generate goals with our forwards so badly our of form and our lack of effectiveness at set pieces. Klopp should prioritise the midfield when naming the 11 and worry about the rest from there...Kabak and Phillips at least look to be improving so hopefully they can do a reasonable job.
HOnestly. I think it's about them regaining that 1% more confidence. It's only one game, but they got into the position to score a lot more than in previous games. A lot more. We were a lot better attacking wise, just lacking the goal.

The issue I think all of us had in the past is that we simply weren't creating anyhting. We never looked like scoring. But in this game we created a shitload of opportunities to score and could've easily have had 2-3 more goals which I don't think anyone could argue with.

Will this game give our attackers confidence? Hope so. But we'll see how they go against West Brom on the weekend, and we've had massive issues with consistency. Hopefully we can get a good win there.

Kabak and Phillips need a string of games together, time on the training pitch, to really create a solid partnership. If we can somehow go through the rest of the year without an injury to either of them ...? Then maybe we can salvage somethign from this shitty year. No injuries to our CBs though ... big big ask.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shhhhhhhh.
Don’t tell this to some in here who want to diminish the impact our injuries have had on the team this season.
Fabinho was excellent playing in the middle which is his best position.
We played well, but our front 3 can play even better and be more clinical.
We need to improve if we are to make a run in the CL .
Lets face it, we’re not a penalty whore football side like some others, who like to pass off goodish players as “world class” because they convert penalties.
One thing I know is that nobody will really want to face us in the next round. We seem to do very well in 2 legged knockout matches.
Without doubt we need to improve. It was one game. We looked a lot better, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. Let's not kid ourselves. Long way to go yet.

That being said. This side does have class there. More than other teams that've won trophies. On paper that is. Obviously they're not in form but ... I still remember us beating the mighty AC Milan who had a far superior team. Anything is possible, but the reality is it's unlikely we'll get far unless we find some form.

Good game. Good start. Let's see how we go on Monday :grinning:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Been saying it for ages in this topic that Fabinho and Henderson should not be playing CB
Hands up I was wrong on it. Called you out for saying this but was defo wrong. You got it spot on.

Fab shouldn't be playing CB again this year under any circumstances such was his game last night. Really lifted the whole team.

Add Hendo to the mix and we go back to completely dominating the midfield. Thought Fab & Thiago worked brilliantly together and am excited to see them a lot more together.

It's also nice having Keita on the bench, plus Milner which means we can rest some of them.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been saying it for ages in this topic that Fabinho and Henderson should not be playing CB
Yep he had cannibalised our midfield while our defence hasn't really improved with them playing there. Strange that he's persisted with this.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep he had cannibalised our midfield while our defence hasn't really improved with them playing there. Strange that he's persisted with this.
I think there was a point though that our defence really wasn't that bad. Even though we weren't winning, the defence was doign enough to win games. The issue for me anything has always been the attack.

Agree that having Fab in the midfield is better, but even with us putting midfielders at CB we should've won games as our midfield and attack was more than strong enough to win.

Let's not forget that Kabak only arrived towards the end of January. He started mid Feb from memory. Missed a game or two from injury. Played 4 games so far? Phillips during that time also got injured.

Think it's only now that we've been able to play them both together? Before Kabak, I don't think we had the players to cover CB. When Matip got injured we had Phillips and Williams but Williams wasn't good enough. Phillips first game was ordinary from memory. Klopp's thinking was probably having an 'experienced' defender in there at CB to steady the ship, especially as we've got more midfielders than any other position? Probably thought we could somehow cover Fab in midfield.

Can't see him going back to CB now though ....

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw one of the top 20 funniest things in the world is liverpool media hounding out wenger, mourinho and other successful coaches like conte at chelsea, they tried to convince pep that he should leave man city since they wouldnt be able to play european football

they got what they wanted and arsenal, man u and chelsea had ole, lampard and arteta coaching them instead, and it worked initially but now they need those clubs to downgrade again ffs, like trying to get man utd to sack ole and hire avram grant or something, plus now they need to convince more teams like everton to get rid of ancelotti and leicester to sack rodgers