The less fortunate

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I were having a spring clean out the other day clothes we never wear hats scarfesetc etc,we came up with about 5 big plastic bags of clothes,and 3 boxes of cutlery cups and other accessories and took them all down to my local vinnies,they gladly accepted everything and said how short they were on a lot of this stuff,so I thought I’d put it out there for any of u who are planning on doing a clean out this would be a great time of the year to do so,and help others out there who are not as fortunate as us,I know there’s probably a lot out there with old caps jumpers beanies etc that others would appreciate.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
My wife and I were having a spring clean out the other day clothes we never wear hats scarfesetc etc,we came up with about 5 big plastic bags of clothes,and 3 boxes of cutlery cups and other accessories and took them all down to my local vinnies,they gladly accepted everything and said how short they were on a lot of this stuff,so I thought I’d put it out there for any of u who are planning on doing a clean out this would be a great time of the year to do so,and help others out there who are not as fortunate as us,I know there’s probably a lot out there with old caps jumpers beanies etc that others would appreciate.
Well done mate, great advice. I’ve just sold my joint so will be sure to do the same with a lot of my stuff when I empty the place out over the next couple of weeks.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love your work mate.
My wife is German. Not the cool, shit on your chest kind of German, more so the annoying hyper organised German who never admits defeat.
She does this a couple of times a year, really keeps our relationship spontaneous, cause I go looking for a shirt that I like only to find out it's gone, then she's all haha surprised you again!
Moral to this story - Don't marry a German and if you do, hide any old clothes with a hole in them.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've never bought clothes through these shops. But when I was broke uni a student I furnished my first flat from a Salvos and Vinnie's store.

I actually have a friend who has a habit of looking there for bargains. He's bought and resold some antique furniture for huge profits that people have donated.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
We've just bought a new house... it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate that you don't need. I dropped off an entire trailer load of clothes, electronics, furniture etc to the Green Shed (local recycling/re-use mob here)

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've just bought a new house... it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate that you don't need. I dropped off an entire trailer load of clothes, electronics, furniture etc to the Green Shed (local recycling/re-use mob here)
Spot on,I filled 5 big garbage bags full of clothes,and large boxes of utensils etc,and have just filled another 3 bags to take over.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've never bought clothes through these shops. But when I was broke uni a student I furnished my first flat from a Salvos and Vinnie's store.

I actually have a friend who has a habit of looking there for bargains. He's bought and resold some antique furniture for huge profits that people have donated.
Really that’s terrible. Does he give the profits back to the store

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really that’s terrible. Does he give the profits back to the store
Nope. Bit scummy really and I've said so diplomatically before. But I'm pretty sure going off the Facebook buy/swap/sell groups I've been on that he'd be among a decent sized group of people that buy and resell stuff for a profit. I know I frequently see the same group of people selling loads of furniture/clothes electrical goods. He's just selective about it and has enough knowledge of antiques and collectibles to make it profitable.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

At my local Vinnies there's an Asian couple who come in every day and buy anything worth money so they can sell it on ebay for a profit. They openly talk about it while doing it. And it makes sense because people donate designer clothes then Vinnies sells them for cheap.

But Vinnies are smart about it. Anything that comes in, they check ebay and other sources to see if it's worth money then increase the price of it. They did this for a while, contently increasing the prices until the couple stopped buying the stuff. Then they started dropping the prices again.

Worked out well because Vinnies ended up getting more money than they usually would.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice gesture but the op shops are full, maybe the Government can use some of that bushfire surplus on accommodation shortages, the motels are full.
They should never of scrapped the old suburban carriages.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Giving to your local op shop is a great gesture - but I HATE it when people dump rubbish etc... in or near the clothing bins. That's just sad.
I agree you see them dump a broken baby cot or something just so they don’t have to deal with it and pay to remove and can tell them self they did the right thing buy Donating it.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree you see them dump a broken baby cot or something just so they don’t have to deal with it and pay to remove and can tell them self they did the right thing buy Donating it.
Our local one is notorious for total scum just dumping house hold usless rubbish , if i remember ill get some snaps after xmas when its absolutley out of control its fucking pathetic

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Our local one is notorious for total scum just dumping house hold usless rubbish , if i remember ill get some snaps after xmas when its absolutley out of control its fucking pathetic
I’m having a sister rant I love her but she tried to do it with one of those kids electric cars that are huge. We have a really good relationship but she rang me to see if she could use my Ute to dump the thing. I was like why are you putting that next to the cloths bin? She was like well “another kid could use it” I said yeah if it worked maybe but also this is just for cloths so who do you think is going to have to clean it up as junk some poor bloke that’s either a volunteer or doesn’t get paid enough to clean up heavy garbage like this so no I’m not letting you dump it here. Also they monitor these places for shit like this with cameras and I’m not having my work ute numberplate on some stupid A Current Affair sting show for a hunk of rubbish you shouldn’t have bought in the first place because it’s ridiculously massive way way too expensive and your kid didn’t use and broke within a week.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Giving to your local op shop is a great gesture - but I HATE it when people dump rubbish etc... in or near the clothing bins. That's just sad.
I remember seeing a report a while back showing that Vinnies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars each year disposing of rubbish people put in bins. Not just actual trash, people donating torn clothes and stuff like that.

They also have several things they can't take, which is why they put up signs outside their stores saying to only donate while the story is open.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing is wasted all torn clothing is washed disinfected,and cut into pieces and on sold to automotive outlets,or sold at Bunnings as rags for businesses,with all profits coming back to the organisation

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I volunteered at Tempe salvos 1 day a week for about a year,they have 4 to 6 volunteers there who fix broken furniture,bikes toasters etc etc they also repaint a lot toys furniture etc,the job they do is absolutely amazing,so for all the guessers out there go help out to get a first hand look at how it works.