Official The Josh Jackson Legacy Lives On

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs former Captain Josh Jackson has been confirmed to stay on at the Club in an official capacity following his recent retirement news.

Whilst Jackson won’t join the team to train on under Ciraldo’s care in 2023, the Bulldogs have confirmed that he won’t be stepping away from the Bulldogs badge just yet. Rather, he will take up a post as a strength and conditioning coach for the club to which he has long belonged.

On top of the 11 seasons of top-flight rugby league he has played for the Bulldogs, Jackson completed a bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science which saw him become the perfect candidate to bolster the Club’s strength and conditioning team ahead of the 2023 season.

“Whether it is on the field, or off the field, the fact remains that Josh is an invaluable member of our Team and our Bulldogs Family,” said Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton.

“He has been a player that has invested in studies and looked to build a career outside of sport and we’ve long supported that.”

With his degree and first-hand player knowledge behind him, the Bulldogs hope he will not only contribute to the conditioning of the 2023 side, but that he will continue to inspire and motivate the team who will now look to carry on the legacy that he leaves behind as a player: one of loyalty, grit, and determination.

“We have seen his value, his work ethic, and what he can bring to his teammates well beyond his post as a captain and player, and we are thrilled to see him transition into an official role within the Club,” said Warburton.

“To retain him in the blue and white is a huge win for us [the Bulldogs].”

Whilst the announcement of a new captain isn’t expected to take place until well into the new year, Head Coach Cameron Ciraldo will have the opportunity to lean on Jackson’s leadership guidance in the interim.

Jackson’s appointment sees him working with one of the best in the industry and this season’s new High-Performance Manager, Travis Touma.

“I’m really grateful that I'm able to stay on with the Club in the strength and conditioning role. It's made the transition really easy for me,” said Jackson.

“I'll still be around footy and around the boys and staff. So, I’m really looking forward to and excited about the next chapter. I'm excited to work with Travis and I think what excites me the most is being able to have a hand in the development of younger players.”

Jackson said watching players come through the ranks at the Bulldogs, transitioning from the Club’s junior systems and academies into first grade, is special to him.

“To see what it means to them [to debut] and their families, we get a great deal of satisfaction from it. And now I get to have a hands-on role in the physical preparation side of things. If I can help pass on a little bit of experience and guidance and things that I've learned along the way, and it helps them in their careers, it's certainly something that'll be satisfying for me."

Since retirement, Jackson has maintained a steady presence at the Club. As he officially makes the transition from player to staff, the Bulldogs are continuing to reflect on his immense contribution to the Club.

Jackson always let his actions do the talking and throughout the 2022 season - his last season - he led the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs with pride.

Jackson made 23 appearances for the Club in 2022 and made 900 tackles, 1814 running metres, and held a tackle efficiency of 94.1%. This year sees the former Captain take on a greater role behind the scenes at the Club, remaining a beloved member of the Bulldogs family.

Once a Bulldog, Always a Bulldog.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2022/11/23/the-josh-jackson-legacy-lives-on/

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope he has better ideas with the conditioning than what has been served up over the last 8 years.

True warrior though and seems to be switched on enough to get his qualifications too. If he can pass on his work ethic and training ethic to even 1 other player it’s well worth it.

If he can get us back to our fittest days like the early 2000s then the results won’t be far behind.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Has qualifications with a degree and experience/first hand experience in the sport, people still crying its a job for the boys roll for his salary to be freed up via a "retirement" lol...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about this, never really been a fan of players in any sport transitioning directly into coaching roles right after leaving the club.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Its a position that we desperately need to get right. Huge gamble. Praying that thank fuck we have found the coaching staff that we have lacked in so many areas for awhile. It’s kinda all hope at this point, kinda sad.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about this, never really been a fan of players in any sport transitioning directly into coaching roles right after leaving the club.
He is not coaching so i see no problem
Im sure he is there to learn of touma
He has the respect of all the players being former captain so i see it as a positive

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s a junior role so nothing to be alarmed about. He’s suitably educated and will learn from the seasoned pro’s above him.

Happier with him on the books in a coaching capacity rather than high salary playing capacity anyway. He was on too much money for a sadly one dimensional tackling machine.

Hopefully he’s learnt some lessons from the poor conditioning of his own body which saw him morph from a nimble and dangerous hole runner into a cumbersome middle who couldn’t fire a punch in attack for the latter half of his career.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He has the respect of all the players being former captain so i see it as a positive
It's still technically a coaching role. I just don't like it, always felt weird to me players transitioning into roles and working with players they trained with only a couple months ago.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather, he will take up a post as a strength and conditioning coach for the club to which he has long belonged.