The importance of a top coach:

Malla

Reaction score
That's a more on your day thing. He had us as contenders. I can't believe you don't see that. Lovely to be able to win the comp each year, just doesn't always work out like that. 2002 we were a shoe in until the salary cap disaster. 2003 we fell one game short, and and same in 2006. 2005 was just one of those years where injuries bite at the wrong time and the team just didn't get over it. You only have to look how we were hanging around the edge of the eight but then lost the last 6 games in a row that put paid to our chances.
Really?
That team on paper and we only have one comp to show for it?
We had SBW, JT and Asotasi off the bench. Had Nate Myles off the bench at one point. Probably the best forward back ever in the league. And we only have one comp to show for it. Shit only one grand final appearance to show for it.
2003 - semi
2006 - semi

Both these years, we were underdone. 2006 second half was abysmal. Can't blame anything but coaching for that.

Sorry but I am being extremely objective here. I love Steve (RIP) but we should have more than just 2004 to show for our dominance in the early 00's.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bennett hasn't won a comp since 2010 when he was with Saints. Obviously he's still a great coach but he had a loaded roster at Souths, with the NRL giving them special treatment with Inglis, Burgess etc and he still couldn't win a comp with them.

So it's not like he or any other coach can just inherit a talented roster and deliver a premiership straight away.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really?
That team on paper and we only have one comp to show for it?
We had SBW, JT and Asotasi off the bench. Had Nate Myles off the bench at one point. Probably the best forward back ever in the league. And we only have one comp to show for it. Shit only one grand final appearance to show for it.
2003 - semi
2006 - semi

Both these years, we were underdone. 2006 second half was abysmal. Can't blame anything but coaching for that.

Sorry but I am being extremely objective here. I love Steve (RIP) but we should have more than just 2004 to show for our dominance in the early 00's.
You're right in that we should have had more than one premiership during that time but 2002 cost us a premiership. Then the reduced cap we had as a penalty and players leaving in the years after that made it harder to get another title after 2004.

Folkes could have gotten better results in one or two finals runs but he also did a great job and got one of the least talented teams ever to make a GF in 1998 which proves how good a coach he was.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No, I don’t think so.. but give it a couple of years an we won’t need Bellamy lol.!!! Simple.

Malla

Reaction score
You're right in that we should have had more than one premiership during that time but 2002 cost us a premiership. Then the reduced cap we had as a penalty and players leaving in the years after that made it harder to get another title after 2004.

Folkes could have gotten better results in one or two finals runs but he also did a great job and got one of the least talented teams ever to make a GF in 1998 which proves how good a coach he was.
2003 we were in prime position to win, I was so disappointed I was a lot more confident then than in 2004. 2006 we were well off being the best team in the comp but to be 16 points up at half time of the gf qualifier…we should have closed the game out. We would have best Melb the following week.
1998 my favourite month of footy ever. Will never forget the buzz in Canterbury Bankstown all month. Wish I could relive those days mate!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its not just a Barrett, its a Gus backed Barrett, something is definitely building.
The last time we saw Gus coach it was a SOO comeback with a bit of get that up ya.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
2003 we were in prime position to win, I was so disappointed I was a lot more confident then than in 2004. 2006 we were well off being the best team in the comp but to be 16 points up at half time of the gf qualifier…we should have closed the game out. We would have best Melb the following week.
1998 my favourite month of footy ever. Will never forget the buzz in Canterbury Bankstown all month. Wish I could relive those days mate!
For sure, the 98 GF Qualifier was the best game of any sport I've ever been to.