THE HEAT IS ON: Kieran Foran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND - AUGUST 27: Kieran Foran of the Warriors looks on after losing the round 25 NRL match between the New Zealand Warriors and the Manly Sea Eagles at Mt Smart Stadium on August 27, 2017 in Auckland, New Zealand. (Photo by Anthony Au-Yeung/Getty Images)
THE HEAT IS ON: Kieran Foran
Peter Williams
-
March 1, 2018 - 11:54 am

One man under pressure going into Round 1 is Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs new half, Kieran Foran.

Bought to the club by then former Bulldogs coach Des Hasler, it will be interesting to see how Kieran adjust to his new team and coach Dean Pay.

It is only two years ago Foran was anointed Parramatta’s saviour and the best signing the club had ever made by Eels legend Peter Sterling. Nine games into to his Parramatta career it was all over, with Foran walking out on his reported four-year $4.8 million contract.

I won’t go into the personal details of why he walked away lest to say a family separation and falling out can get to anyone, even our sporting heroes.

With his personal life being subjected to media scrutiny, reports of gambling problems and keeping company with some of Sydney’s more colourful characters, the once proud confident young man looked lost and in pain. His association with his “friends” had him in the spotlights of the NRL integrity unit.

Speculation had him retiring or signing with Canterbury to be with his ex-Manly mentor Des Hasler. As much as both would have loved to have made that move, the Bulldogs salary cap was exhausted.

From left field, the Warriors took him in for a year to help him get his life sorted and away from the temptations of Sydney. His form with the Warriors was very up and down. He was definitely committed but injuries hampered him for most of the year. The best thing to see was he looked happier and focused.

Des Hasler and Raelene Castle were the architects of Foran’s signature with Canterbury on what would be a decent paying three-year contract. Both Hasler and Castle are now gone.

I’m sure new coach Dean Pay would see Foran as a great addition to a team that for the past few years has been bereft of quality half backs. Foran would be well within his rights to be disappointed that Hasler was sacked though.

The allure of the Bulldogs to Foran would have been linking up with Hasler again. Listening to Pay talk about wanting to free up his playmakers will suit Foran’s game.

An injury-free Kieran Foran will, in my opinion, be a great signing. I won’t say the greatest signing the club has ever made but he might end up there with Terry Lamb if he can bring success to the club.

Still young at 27 years of age, he is in what should be the prime of his career. Foran is a winner and he will drag his team up with him by his actions. Bulldogs fans will need to give him time to gel with the team.

With Moses Mbye, Foran and Michael Lichaa they are developing a good spine.

The Bulldogs are back. The boardroom is sorted and Lynn Anderson brings the spirit of her late father the bullfrog Peter Moore. Old boy Dean Pay has the clipboard and whistle. Aaron Woodshas joined up with his best mate David Klemmer and Kieran Foran looks fit happy and ready to go!

If he can stay fit, I will say he will be the buy of the year and become a favourite son at the family club.

What do you think Kieran Foran: good buy or bust?

With Kieran hopefully back to full health and his off field dramas hopefully settled. I think we have half the recipe for success, all depends on who will partner Foran consistently in the halves moving forward. Lewis surely must be given an opportunity to make the 7 jersey his own as I believe Kieran should be wearing the 6 on his back. Just my opinion. Also I believe JMK should be given the utility honors before Nu brown.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I have got a really REALLY good feeling about this one.

When Foran left the Warriors no other club was willing to give him a chance. He was down, depressed, and dejected. I doubt Hasler was really that big of a factor, but rather a club that cared not just for Kieran the player, but for Kieran the person.

With a lot of players at the club with kids, and family orientated, it's the perfect environment. With a new lady in his life, and a smile that we haven't seen for a while, it seems Kieran is finally coming to peace with himself, and starting to get over those mental demons that once plagued him.

OK depression never goes away, but in the Bulldogs teammates and his partners love, he's found a solid supportbase, unlike anything he has had to date.

With a new approach to things, and a new love developing for the game he fell out of love with, I predict this season is going to be massive for Foran.

If he can stay fit, honestly I can see him having his best season to date of his career, because he's got something to prove now, and everything to play for.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I have got a really REALLY good feeling about this one.

When Foran left the Warriors no other club was willing to give him a chance. He was down, depressed, and dejected. I doubt Hasler was really that big of a factor, but rather a club that cared not just for Kieran the player, but for Kieran the person.

With a lot of players at the club with kids, and family orientated, it's the perfect environment. With a new lady in his life, and a smile that we haven't seen for a while, it seems Kieran is finally coming to peace with himself, and starting to get over those mental demons that once plagued him.

OK depression never goes away, but in the Bulldogs teammates and his partners love, he's found a solid supportbase, unlike anything he has had to date.

With a new approach to things, and a new love developing for the game he fell out of love with, I predict this season is going to be massive for Foran.

If he can stay fit, honestly I can see him having his best season to date of his career, because he's got something to prove now, and everything to play for.
Nailed it

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nek minute - injured in first tackle, out for season

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm placing no pressure on him. Sure I want him to perform but until we see him play we don't know where he is at with the injuries. Mentally, we all have good and bad days after separation. One day your great, next day/week your in hell again. I believe (hope) we have a stable family set up at the club which will surely help. I hope his ex is giving him proper time with his kids as that's the key. I found being around my mate's, their families and their kids a trigger in the early days as it would remind me about mine..............very tough issues to deal with. I wish nothing but best the very best to him and his kids! If this stuff is right then we will see some great games from him.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish people would stop mentioning the Hasler link. Foran knocked him back at least 3 times.

Working with Hasler didn't mean as much to Foran as much as some people want to make out.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he can get to his best we'll be a completely new side

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has to make his time at the dogs a winner, no club would would pay big dollars again

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think his signing will be regarded as a huge coup for the club by the end of the year. Hopefully he stays healthy and happy. He's a great player when he's got his head in the game. And I think that he can help us guide the team through a strong season.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Foran will be good for us this season. Especially if he stays fit the whole season.

The guy that really needs to step up and repay the confidence the club showed in him this season is Mybe.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
MVP season

I said the above on one of his IG posts

He hit the like button

I’m hoping that means he’s in that “I’m going to carve this completely up’ mindset

Status
Not open for further replies.