Opinion The Gould/Khoury/Warburton regime have combined all of our mistakes from the past decade, and repeated them in the present.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My feelings are that Gould has abit of a scattergun approach to juniors development but leaves no hunting ground unturned.

He is also good at finding ways to move players on without breaking the bank - which is a good thing.

It's up to the head coach though to pick the talent from the talent pool.

Not enough credit goes to Ivan Cleary who had to pick 17 players from a pool and set them in their best positions to them win B2B GF's and make 3GFs in a row. And they aren't finished yet.

The appointment of CC is questionable and his failure will reflect as failure on Gould also. But I'm not giving up on CC just yet..come mid next year though and if I see no improvement in the team, then I will turn badly on CC.

I feel Ben Hunt is the only saviour for him now with the persistence of Burton in the halves
Cleary nearly won the Panthers a spoon, Gus sacked him (similar situation to Barrett) and he spent time away from the game and then came back in to coach/fuck up the Tigers.

In the meantime Gus Ciraldo and some other very hard working people set about rebuilding that Penrith club from the bottom up.

Think about the crap Gus copped in the media because the 5 year plan took so much longer than first expected, but look at the results patience and hard work yielded ..

I’ll go as far as saying Cleary walked back into that club 95% rebuilt and ready to kill it and not just first grade, their pathways, all their younger grades ..

The only reason he’s back there was to (rumoured) stop him from stealing his son and a few others over to the Tigers.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Meaney would look good in our team too if we had Munster and Hughes feeding him. Meaney is good depth but IMO only in a good team. If Papz not injured he’s not even playing first grade
Just wrong. Sick of these stupid statements. Let’s actually put a bet on this.
3k, I think Sportsbet can hold the money as a neutral party. He won’t be fullback but I’m willing to bet he’ll be in the team. No need for sledging each other, let’s just put our money where our mouth is. Kennel are all witness’s. Are you game?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First things first - this isn’t a whinge thread, it’s a facts thread. So if anyone wants to refute, then refute away. Let’s hear it.

For me, the alarm bells started ringing as soon as we signed up Gould. An egotistical figure who’s happy to take full credit for any successes he’s been associated with, but notably disassociate from failures he’s been involved with, for which there’s been quite a few over the years.

The alarm bells continued to ring with just about every single key player and key staff appointment that he has delivered. Each one eerily similar in nature to the failed signings and key decisions in the past. Let me name a few;
- APPOINTMENT OF CLUB DICTATOR WITH ALMOST FULL CONTROL OVER KEY DECISIONS WITHIN THE FOOTBALL DEPT: Previously Hasler, now Gould.

- APPOINTMENT OF AN INEXPERIENCED/UNPROVEN HEAD COACH: We’ve gone from Pay (no previous first grade experience), to Barrett (unproven - failed at Manly with a great roster), to Ciraldo (no previous first grade experience). I feel the Ciraldo is potentially worst as we’ve been sucked in by an unproven Penrith assistant yet again, this time paying double the money for the pleasure

- OVERSPENDING ON FORWARDS AND OUTSIDE BACKS WITHOUT LOCKING DOWN KEY POSITIONS SUCH AS HALFBACK AND FULLBACK: think of the money we’ve pissed in the past on guys like Eastwood, Aaron Woods, Thompson, Nick Cotric, DWZ on huge money to name a few over the past few years. We’re repeating the dose now with signings of TPJ, Kikau, Addo Carr etc. Why is the money not going to the positions where we need it most!???

- SPENDING BIG ON WINGERS/CENTRES IN A BID TO MANUFACTURE A FULLBACK: Think DWZ, and now we’re doing the same with Steve Crichton!

I could rattle of many more examples of how we’re in the midst of replicating all of the past misdeeds over and over again right now. The facts that we are still not progressing (bottom of the ladder, worst for and worst against in the comp) just further fuels the fire that we’re fucked, and just shooting our selves in the foot time and time again.

I’m not buying Gusses bullshit about still being in essentially Year 1 of a 5 year rebuild. It’s bullshit. We should’ve seen obvious progress by now but we’ve gone nowhere, and if anything regressed further. I’m sick of reading all this blind faith from the fans put in Gus and Ciraldo. It’s getting sad

Let’s hear some arguments and evidence to the contrary, please!?
God

Just another troll

1684644243172.png

Grimace

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
First things first - this isn’t a whinge thread, it’s a facts thread. So if anyone wants to refute, then refute away. Let’s hear it.

For me, the alarm bells started ringing as soon as we signed up Gould. An egotistical figure who’s happy to take full credit for any successes he’s been associated with, but notably disassociate from failures he’s been involved with, for which there’s been quite a few over the years.

The alarm bells continued to ring with just about every single key player and key staff appointment that he has delivered. Each one eerily similar in nature to the failed signings and key decisions in the past. Let me name a few;
- APPOINTMENT OF CLUB DICTATOR WITH ALMOST FULL CONTROL OVER KEY DECISIONS WITHIN THE FOOTBALL DEPT: Previously Hasler, now Gould.

- APPOINTMENT OF AN INEXPERIENCED/UNPROVEN HEAD COACH: We’ve gone from Pay (no previous first grade experience), to Barrett (unproven - failed at Manly with a great roster), to Ciraldo (no previous first grade experience). I feel the Ciraldo is potentially worst as we’ve been sucked in by an unproven Penrith assistant yet again, this time paying double the money for the pleasure

- OVERSPENDING ON FORWARDS AND OUTSIDE BACKS WITHOUT LOCKING DOWN KEY POSITIONS SUCH AS HALFBACK AND FULLBACK: think of the money we’ve pissed in the past on guys like Eastwood, Aaron Woods, Thompson, Nick Cotric, DWZ on huge money to name a few over the past few years. We’re repeating the dose now with signings of TPJ, Kikau, Addo Carr etc. Why is the money not going to the positions where we need it most!???

- SPENDING BIG ON WINGERS/CENTRES IN A BID TO MANUFACTURE A FULLBACK: Think DWZ, and now we’re doing the same with Steve Crichton!

I could rattle of many more examples of how we’re in the midst of replicating all of the past misdeeds over and over again right now. The facts that we are still not progressing (bottom of the ladder, worst for and worst against in the comp) just further fuels the fire that we’re fucked, and just shooting our selves in the foot time and time again.

I’m not buying Gusses bullshit about still being in essentially Year 1 of a 5 year rebuild. It’s bullshit. We should’ve seen obvious progress by now but we’ve gone nowhere, and if anything regressed further. I’m sick of reading all this blind faith from the fans put in Gus and Ciraldo. It’s getting sad

You are drunk go to bed and you have no idea how to build a club!

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On first read I thought this was Drunkfield, not many posts after the game and none from the OP, I think this was just an opportunity to stir the pot before our game.

I don't think we should be jumping around and celebrating, but there were some positives in the game and second half that suggest that based on last few years results we are definitely heading in the right direction. Posts like the OP just go to show that some people on here have agendas that they want to push, others are fans enjoying the rollercoaster of success and failures. I get the occasional dummy spit during and after a loss to a certain degree and can forgive for some people 'forgetting' how to spell certain names, or what position they play when emotions enter into it. But this was posted just before a game, I really do not need to say anymore.

Maybe not Drunkfield, but as a club we have plenty of factions that can 'shoot ourselves in the foot' without any help from him, and those like him.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just wrong. Sick of these stupid statements. Let’s actually put a bet on this.
3k, I think Sportsbet can hold the money as a neutral party. He won’t be fullback but I’m willing to bet he’ll be in the team. No need for sledging each other, let’s just put our money where our mouth is. Kennel are all witness’s. Are you game?
Not a gambling man bro. But Meaney might make the bench. Rare to have a winger fullback in the bench though. Not really a stupid statement. Maybe a bit hyperbole but he is not a starting player if all players are fit at Storm. Meaney is good in a strong storm side like many a storm player before him. 3k!!! Wow bro - what a confident guy lol

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Ray Dib is that you?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fix the spine and watch us win more games..

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have a spine from 2024 that we can build around. Which is not something we even had during the Desdemort years.

2024 onwards is about building up the forward pack. Currently the majority of our forwards are rubbish/deadwood. You'd need a complete hard arse coach like Bellamy to fire up these dud forwards, even then they'd still lose the battle and let you down.
I agree about the Bellamy comment.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not a gambling man bro. But Meaney might make the bench. Rare to have a winger fullback in the bench though. Not really a stupid statement. Maybe a bit hyperbole but he is not a starting player if all players are fit at Storm. Meaney is good in a strong storm side like many a storm player before him. 3k!!! Wow bro - what a confident guy lol
Meaney is goat. No one should doubt his ability.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have to remember a season we all knew wouldn’t be 1000% confident on making the top 8, however our target next year should be top 8. Anything less than that next year that means CC and Gus have failed