Opinion The future and team rebuilding.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppa was re signed for decent coin. CHN and Mariner would be in the 300k mark. Tolman was a dessie fav he would be up around the 400k. Our front row would be around the 1 -1.2 million mark. Back row would push 1.5mill. 6 players 2.5 million . Add foran , hoppa close to 4 million now. 8 players almost half cap there. I don't know, i just know dib n dessie fucked us.
Out of the current squad Hasler is responsible for JJ's and Tualau's contracts. In mid to late 2017, we were told that Dib, Castle and the board were taking responsibility for the signings/retention of players due to the uncertainty of Hasler's contract extension. This included Foran's signing ( + 6 others ) and Hoppa's and Tolman's resigning (+ 7 others ).

By late 2018 all those back ended contracts which included, Graham, Mbye, Brett and Josh Morris, Eastwood, Abbey, Klemmer and Woods were off the books and only JJ's remained. The new board guaranteed us that all the players signed/resigned in 2018 were not on back ended contracts.

But Des's, Castle's and the previous board's lingering pain is still being felt because of unavoidable continuous squad depletion, missed opportunities and loss of juniors.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You dont rebuild with kids.. rookie coach error...

You rebuild with experienced players capable of doing a job that you can rely on.. then add talented kids to that solid base over time..

Last edited:

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching the Broncs and some of the other sides we are so far away from a premiership it’s not even on the horizon!...

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next premiership window 2025 to 2030 wipping boys atleast next two to three seasons we are now Newcastle

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its not over it hasn't even started open your fucking eyes ive supported bulldogs for 40 years never to witness this embarrassment they arnt good enough to be in 2019 competition truly spoon for us this year
I'm with you pal.

I was there in 1967 grand final, when a spectacular intercept try by Bob McCarthy and a superb pressure goal by Eric Simms broke our hearts after 20 years ( lost grand final in 1947 to Balmain ) of being the joke of the league.

In honesty since 1967, I haven't seen a group of blokes that have disrespected our proud colors like this mob. Except for a couple of players, no one wants to play for us. Reason they are with us is because they couldn't get a start anywhere else!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on how the Bulldogs will fare in 2019. Some argue that top 8 is achievable, whilst others believe we will be embroiled in a wooden spoon battle. Bookies have us as favorites for this dreaded dishonor. Only the utmost optimists or delusional will support the idea that we will become premiers. So realistically we should prioritize and divert the debate into the future and 'team rebuilding'.

So let's unpack how the 'team rebuilding' is progressing. Briefly let's reacquaint ourselves with the principle of causation (salary cap ect), but focus more on the operating relationship of effect.

On 9th of November 2017, previous Chairman Ray Dib, announced that the club was now salary cap compliant at a special sponsors and members function held at Belmore Sportsground. Chief executive Todd Greenberg, who attended the Bulldogs function gave Canterbury the clearance earlier that day and finally rubber stamped Canterbury's salary cap for 2018, officially registering the contracts of marquee signings Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods. This we were told, was made possible through the release of James Graham, Brad Abbey and Josh Reynolds.

We fast forward to 2019. What about all the 'back ended' contracts ? The new regime guaranteed that there will not be such contracts during their tenure. So after releasing Eastwood, Woods, Josh and Brett Morris, Mbye and Klemmer only Jackson qualifies.

Reason being, the other 14 players signed in 2016, 9 have since been released, Montoya was resigned in 2017, RFM, Lewis and Martin were resigned in 2018 and Tualua contract expires in 2019 and was not 'back ended'.

In 2017 we signed 11 players and resigned 9 others. Five ( which included Woods) have since been released. Fifteen players ( which included Foran ) have been retained for 2019 season and beyond and according to the new regime their contracts are not 'back ended'. In Foran's case the NRL put a caveat on his contract due to the uncertainty of his future playing career, which was publicly discussed and painted a troubling picture of a player straining under the weight of public expectation and mental health.

In 2018 we signed 10 players and resigned 5 others.

In summary out of 30 players, 28 the exception being Jackson and Tualau have been signed, resigned or debuted during the last 2 years! So armed with these facts, whilst debating ' team rebuilding', who is confident that this newly formed team can mature into future premiers ? Who thinks the club did a very poor job in sourcing and retaining players ? Who thinks we should scrap this newly formed team, spend the next few years suffering in silence and restart a fresh rebuild ? Who has confidence that the new board and coach will not repeat past mistakes ?

I'm interested Bulldogs fans.

ps History records that we have a proven blueprint for the solution, but that's a discussion for another thread.
We will suffer; but not in silence.

For supporters who go way back to the 1950s, like me, this is not a Canterbury team I can relate to or recognise. Haven't seen a Bulldogs side I want to pay good money to watch for more than three years, at least. Quickly losing interest in the team, and the game altogether.

I can't pinpoint the problem, but we lack any initiative or ability to build anything but a third rate side. I'd rather see us wiped out of the NRL than die the death of a thousand cuts.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm with you pal.

I was there in 1967 grand final, when a spectacular intercept try by Bob McCarthy and a superb pressure goal by Eric Simms broke our hearts after 20 years ( lost grand final in 1947 to Balmain ) of being the joke of the league.

In honesty since 1967, I haven't seen a group of blokes that have disrespected our proud colors like this mob. Except for a couple of players, no one wants to play for us. Reason they are with us is because they couldn't get a start anywhere else!
I was there in '67. We played well, and it was only the intercept that prevented a Berries win. We ended the 11 year reign of the Dragons, coming from cellar dwellers the previous year. I was proud to be a supporter, and have hated the Rabbitohs since that day.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still can’t believe how a great club like ours has become such a rabble...it’s fucking painful

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too early to tell if this team can mature into future premiership winning team. How can you compare apples with apples? Lets put it into perspective:
Take our team from round 1 and 2. Same team yet so different from 2018. Hopoate and Jackson started 24 games, Lichaa 20 starts, Elliott 19 and JMK 18 starts. Crighton, Napa and CHN new to team and the rest started 15 games or less. It takes time to perfect the right combo’s. Stability to drill them over and over again and decide if the correct players in the correct position.

Forget the past – we released those who were overpaid, those who didn’t want to be here and even those toxic to our culture.
Moving forward - We sourced what we could from the pool available at the time. Money well spent?- only the board truly knows, the rest guess.

I feel the foundations are there. This board feels right, the coach needs time.

As for the next few years suffering in silence – when have the Bulldogs fans or The Kennel ever been silent?

Go dogs!
We don't have the size or speed to match it with the rest of the NRL. We need big tall wingers, a roving fullback with blinding speed, halves with great acceleration from a standing start, and hard running tough forwards. We lack all of these.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes! not just time but money, If our patron - saint "BULLFROG" was still with us I have no doubt that our spine at the moment would contain -
1. - Tedesco
6. - Meloney > who where of contract at the same time.
7. - Cronk
9. - Cook > who we had, & let him go
and probably the Moz boys on the left fringe
They would have soaked up most of the cap and we just add a couple of lesser paid descent forwards.
and we would be top of the Comp
& under the Cap. and probably having a different type of discussion right now on topics like - how much we will Beat the EEls by tomorrow or Which Jersey should we wear for the celebration night in the streets of Belmore in October. That's my opinion,
And he would have had an understudy on a scholarship, ready to step in for Cronk.
There is an old saying " The apple doesn't fall far from the tree". It looks like in this case some mingy mutt pissed on the tree and poisoned it.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there in the eighties dogs of war I grew to love it breaks my heart to see the rabble we have become every one would give their right arm to play for us back then I’m absolutely gutted at how far we have fallen

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Out of the current squad Hasler is responsible for JJ's and Tualau's contracts. In mid to late 2017, we were told that Dib, Castle and the board were taking responsibility for the signings/retention of players due to the uncertainty of Hasler's contract extension. This included Foran's signing ( + 6 others ) and Hoppa's and Tolman's resigning (+ 7 others ).

By late 2018 all those back ended contracts which included, Graham, Mbye, Brett and Josh Morris, Eastwood, Abbey, Klemmer and Woods were off the books and only JJ's remained. The new board guaranteed us that all the players signed/resigned in 2018 were not on back ended contracts.

But Des's, Castle's and the previous board's lingering pain is still being felt because of unavoidable continuous squad depletion, missed opportunities and loss of juniors.
Dib n des are both equally responsible. Dib more because from 2013 we have been shit. 2014 was luck to make the gf . So all them years des was considered a success we were actually on the decline but dib considered making the 8 a success.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You dont rebuild with kids.. rookie coach error...

You rebuild with experienced players capable of doing a job that youncan rely on.. then add talented to kids to that solid base over time..
Spot on brother. Look at our past rebuilds, we had Lamb, Stuart and Kimmorley. If Foran can't do the job piss him off and get someone like Green or Maloney. Players that have achieved everything in the game, but are still ambitious enough to be part of a project.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to fuck off Crichton, Montoya, Holland, Foran, Fualalo, Lichaa pronto!

We need stop gap players who will cost fuck all on short term fucken deals.

David Mead, Hayne, Jackson Hastings, Sika Manu, Albert Kelly, Kasiano

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on brother. Look at our past rebuilds, we had Lamb, Stuart and Kimmorley. If Foran can't do the job piss him off and get someone like Green or Maloney. Players that have achieved everything in the game, but are still ambitious enough to be part of a project.
Our recruitment should start with a gun coach- this is the only way to gain lost credibility & attract quality players

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Offering TPjr 1mil would be a start... spend the rest on upgrading our outside backs with players built like footy players... not these little boys... Ferguson is 108kgs for fucks sake.... big enough to play in our front row.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dib n des are both equally responsible. Dib more because from 2013 we have been shit. 2014 was luck to make the gf . So all them years des was considered a success we were actually on the decline but dib considered making the 8 a success.
The buck stops with that bullshit artist Dib. He allowed Des complete free reign, employed a piss weak CEO and stood over a gutless board.

Des was only interested in his personal resume. He proved that at Manly, he didn't give too fucks about our club's future.

Dib patted him on the back and together with Castle and the board sang kumbaya, as he fantasized and pulled himself over the next spin.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to fuck off Crichton, Montoya, Holland, Foran, Fualalo, Lichaa pronto!

We need stop gap players who will cost fuck all on short term fucken deals.

David Mead, Hayne, Jackson Hastings, Sika Manu, Albert Kelly, Kasiano
And maybe a few pommies.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And maybe a few pommies.
Not up to date with the pommies, though one thing with the top pommy forwards, they are skilful.

Id take Gareth Ellis right now over half our forwards

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The current squad we are left with is underdeveloped and lacking in crucial positions like hooker, half and a decent center pairing, the fact that we're still stuck with lichaa is on pay seeing he re-signed him, but in saying that apparently we didn't have any coin to chase anyone decent
Well lets face it we could have signed any hooker and they wouldn't be any worse than lichaa so we had nothing to lose by drop kicking him out and maybe plenty to gain in any hooker signing