Opinion The future and team rebuilding.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on how the Bulldogs will fare in 2019. Some argue that top 8 is achievable, whilst others believe we will be embroiled in a wooden spoon battle. Bookies have us as favorites for this dreaded dishonor. Only the utmost optimists or delusional will support the idea that we will become premiers. So realistically we should prioritize and divert the debate into the future and 'team rebuilding'.

So let's unpack how the 'team rebuilding' is progressing. Briefly let's reacquaint ourselves with the principle of causation (salary cap ect), but focus more on the operating relationship of effect.

On 9th of November 2017, previous Chairman Ray Dib, announced that the club was now salary cap compliant at a special sponsors and members function held at Belmore Sportsground. Chief executive Todd Greenberg, who attended the Bulldogs function gave Canterbury the clearance earlier that day and finally rubber stamped Canterbury's salary cap for 2018, officially registering the contracts of marquee signings Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods. This we were told, was made possible through the release of James Graham, Brad Abbey and Josh Reynolds.

We fast forward to 2019. What about all the 'back ended' contracts ? The new regime guaranteed that there will not be such contracts during their tenure. So after releasing Eastwood, Woods, Josh and Brett Morris, Mbye and Klemmer only Jackson qualifies.

Reason being, the other 14 players signed in 2016, 9 have since been released, Montoya was resigned in 2017, RFM, Lewis and Martin were resigned in 2018 and Tualua contract expires in 2019 and was not 'back ended'.

In 2017 we signed 11 players and resigned 9 others. Five ( which included Woods) have since been released. Fifteen players ( which included Foran ) have been retained for 2019 season and beyond and according to the new regime their contracts are not 'back ended'. In Foran's case the NRL put a caveat on his contract due to the uncertainty of his future playing career, which was publicly discussed and painted a troubling picture of a player straining under the weight of public expectation and mental health.

In 2018 we signed 10 players and resigned 5 others.

In summary out of 30 players, 28 the exception being Jackson and Tualau have been signed, resigned or debuted during the last 2 years! So armed with these facts, whilst debating ' team rebuilding', who is confident that this newly formed team can mature into future premiers ? Who thinks the club did a very poor job in sourcing and retaining players ? Who thinks we should scrap this newly formed team, spend the next few years suffering in silence and restart a fresh rebuild ? Who has confidence that the new board and coach will not repeat past mistakes ?

I'm interested Bulldogs fans.

ps History records that we have a proven blueprint for the solution, but that's a discussion for another thread.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on how the Bulldogs will fare in 2019. Some argue that top 8 is achievable, whilst others believe we will be embroiled in a wooden spoon battle. Bookies have us as favorites for this dreaded dishonor. Only the utmost optimists or delusional will support the idea that we will become premiers. So realistically we should prioritize and divert the debate into the future and 'team rebuilding'.

So let's unpack how the 'team rebuilding' is progressing. Briefly let's reacquaint ourselves with the principle of causation (salary cap ect), but focus more on the operating relationship of effect.

On 9th of November 2017, previous Chairman Ray Dib, announced that the club was now salary cap compliant at a special sponsors and members function held at Belmore Sportsground. Chief executive Todd Greenberg, who attended the Bulldogs function gave Canterbury the clearance earlier that day and finally rubber stamped Canterbury's salary cap for 2018, officially registering the contracts of marquee signings Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods. This we were told, was made possible through the release of James Graham, Brad Abbey and Josh Reynolds.

We fast forward to 2019. What about all the 'back ended' contracts ? The new regime guaranteed that there will not be such contracts during their tenure. So after releasing Eastwood, Woods, Josh and Brett Morris, Mbye and Klemmer only Jackson qualifies.

Reason being, the other 14 players signed in 2016, 9 have since been released, Montoya was resigned in 2017, RFM, Lewis and Martin were resigned in 2018 and Tualua contract expires in 2019 and was not 'back ended'.

In 2017 we signed 11 players and resigned 9 others. Five ( which included Woods) have since been released. Fifteen players ( which included Foran ) have been retained for 2019 season and beyond and according to the new regime their contracts are not 'back ended'. In Foran's case the NRL put a caveat on his contract due to the uncertainty of his future playing career, which was publicly discussed and painted a troubling picture of a player straining under the weight of public expectation and mental health.

In 2018 we signed 10 players and resigned 5 others.

In summary out of 30 players, 28 the exception being Jackson and Tualau have been signed, resigned or debuted during the last 2 years! So armed with these facts, whilst debating ' team rebuilding', who is confident that this newly formed team can mature into future premiers ? Who thinks the club did a very poor job in sourcing and retaining players ? Who thinks we should scrap this newly formed team, spend the next few years suffering in silence and restart a fresh rebuild ? Who has confidence that the new board and coach will not repeat past mistakes ?

I'm interested Bulldogs fans.

ps History records that we have a proven blueprint for the solution, but that's a discussion for another thread.
No one really knows the true extent of the back-ended fiasco, I'm not even going to bother speculating. It's over now we're getting through it, time to move on imo

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the team that is going to return us to our rightful place atop the ladder, but I am confident that this is the administration that will.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The so called "salary cap crisis" was always a red herring!!.
Why? I don't know.
My guess is to forward load contracts so that the club can enter into the player market in a big way hopefully next season.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Diabolical retention and recruitment for the past 7 years at least. No practical improvement to the roster, in fact it's been dismantled every year. Where has the money gone? Cos sure as hell we haven't had a comparable roster to most clubs even allowing backend, ratchet. Overs must be crazy money. $700, 000 for Napa is for a start. Dib/Des/Rae got us here but Pay/Andos/Hill aren't inspiring a much better outcome so far.

Started out well, said all the right things, bought short and keep on doing Hasler-like decisions.

It's ground hog day all over again it seems and no one associated with the club and see the poor, short sighted, stubborn decisions.

We live in hope someone is gunna make the revival of the club happen.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No one really knows the true extent of the back-ended fiasco, I'm not even going to bother speculating. It's over now we're getting through it, time to move on imo
This thread was not about back ended contracts but on the fact that 28 players out of 30 have been signed, resigned, debuted in last 2 years. This team has been totally rebuilt. I asked the concluding questions to get an opinion on this newly formed team.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Des really did a number on this club!! I don’t know and have no facts but it makes sense that he came, gave us a couple good years an then started taking us apart.. oh an where is he now? The same team he walked out on to join us.. makes you wonder what was really in his coming to the doggs.

True or faulse.. it is so bloody sad that we have gone so far backwards, pisses me off whatever the reason..!!!!

But I am confident that we will be TOP DOGGS again an when it happens it will be worth the wait, I’m sure we have the right people on board an in control now as well. GO DOGGS .

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kinda over "Des and Co" being mentioned still ... we need to get over always blaming those morons and accept that a lot of what's happening still doesn't stack up! we've let a lot of superstars sign elsewhere or released expensive dead wood to have big $$$ in the bank again.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's too soon to judge how the recruitment for this season will turn out. Both Cogger and Meaney were supposed to be integral parts of the recruitment drive. Thus far neither have cracked into the team. It's highly debatable who our best forward pack is. I'm pretty certain that the only thing the majority of the fans agree on is that Lichaa has to go.

Some of the youngsters will hopefully provide good football. While others won't. But the team this year is a transitional team. We have to hope we retain quality and recruit more in areas of need ahead of 2020. Where off contract players don't stand out they can be moved on.

So while I have hopes of seeing us exceed expectations this year, I have no idea how we will go.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This thread was not about back ended contracts but on the fact that 28 players out of 30 have been signed, resigned, debuted in last 2 years. This team has been totally rebuilt. I asked the concluding questions to get an opinion on this newly formed team.
The current squad we are left with is underdeveloped and lacking in crucial positions like hooker, half and a decent center pairing, the fact that we're still stuck with lichaa is on pay seeing he re-signed him, but in saying that apparently we didn't have any coin to chase anyone decent

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Players we had coming up through our junior ranks in the early 2010-2014 era were

Barba
Finucane
Jackson
Taupau
Kasiano
Reynolds
Klemmer
Mbye
Sezer
Latu

When it came to recruiting young players, some of the ones which slipped through our hands were Munster, Watson & Mitchell.

The salary cap fiasco was always going to bite us in the ass, sooner rather than later. I am not so much bothered by it, because i knew it was coming, but the fact that our junior development and scouting of good young players has really gone backwards.

The current philosophy of the Melbourne Storm as a club is the old Bulldogs, which was brought over to them by Chris Anderson and further enhanced by Bellamy.

Kevin Moore wasnt the greatest of coaches, but fuck he had a nose for recruiting good young prospects as well as established players. Surely he should be considered to come back in a recruitment roll.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tolman, (best prop in the game) Holland, hoppa.. please lol..at least do a little bit of research..
After hours and hours of research inspired by a bottle of Dimple Scotch Whisky I'm of the opinion that Tolman is a late bloomer and destined to become an immortal.

Don't you get exited when you see him handle the ball skillfully from 1st receiver inside the opposition's quarter after a crisp Lichaa pass ? Defenders tremble in fear, coaches have no answer.
To increase his devastation, this year he is to unleash his newly developed Johnny Peard like bomb. Take note my friend as the opposition's three quarters quiver in anticipation. Like a bottle of good wine he matures with age.

I will resume my research on Holland and Hoppa after I drink that bottle of mature wine.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The current squad we are left with is underdeveloped and lacking in crucial positions like hooker, half and a decent center pairing, the fact that we're still stuck with lichaa is on pay seeing he re-signed him, but in saying that apparently we didn't have any coin to chase anyone decent
The salary cap in 2019 is $9.6 million an increase of $200,000, with the minimum wage for players 1-26 set at $105,000 and players 27-30 set at $72,500.

Except for JJ, Foran and Napa the other 27 players should not be on big coin. During the last two years these players would not have been involved in a bidding war. So it's either we overestimated the value of our re-signings, paid overs for new players and/or no one wants to come to the Dogs.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Players who can be sought out

1. Tevita Pangai jnr/Thomas fledger wow
2. Briton Nikora
3. Robson or Fainu/brailey a must
4. Gideon Mosby
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Billy magoulias
7. Agnatius Paasi
8. Albert hoppa
9. Manu maua/ Peni Terepo
10. Tristan slater / Michael Chee kam

Plz acknowledge I didn’t state to sign all but that is a fair bunch of players that can add to our team and can be at the very least looked at.

We need a 2009 like spending spree where a min of 5 fg quality or fresh faces enter

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate all the credibility this great club had is gone. We should have never let go of (mbye,woods,) playing the salary cap card was always going to slap the club in the face. If I was a manager and the bulldogs approached me for the services of my client the thirst thing I'll say is do you guys have money in the cap and if you do, start sharpening your pencil

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate all the credibility this great club had is gone. We should have never let go of (mbye,woods,) playing the salary cap card was always going to slap the club in the face. If I was a manager and the bulldogs approached me for the services of my client the thirst thing I'll say is do you guys have money in the cap and if you do, start sharpening your pencil
Spot on bro, every player's manager have already sharpened their pencils and have already taken advantage of us, for we must have paid crazy money.

In 2019 the basic wage is $105,000 for 26 players and $72,500 for 4. We only should have three players on decent coin, JJ, Foran and Napa. With all that in mind, how the hell did we fill our $9.6 mil salary cap ( $9.1 if the media rumors are correct and we are $500,000 under the cap) with the squad we've got ?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I ask myself one question in regards to our team now, which player/s must we keep? If I had to be brutally honest I can only think of one player that is good enough right now to keep, Josh Jackson. Sure I hope Lewis comes on but seriously JJ is it. That tells me all I need to know about how our team is looking right now!

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I ask myself one question in regards to our team now, which player/s must we keep? If I had to be brutally honest I can only think of one player that is good enough right now to keep, Josh Jackson. Sure I hope Lewis comes on but seriously JJ is it. That tells me all I need to know about how our team is looking right now!
So basically the 28 players we signed, resigned or debuted was a waste of 2 years of team rebuilding. I totally agree.