The Formula One Thread

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hands down this was one of the best cars ever built
Mate, it's my favorite F1 car of all time. It was way ahead of it's time with the active suspension it had and other aspects of it. It was also a beautiful car to look at, none of the space ship design like now days. Me being an old McLaren fan and Senna fanatic I still appreciated the Williams FW14b which were fierce rivals of the McLaren team. But that FW14b the one Mansell drove was one of the best cars ever built IMO. I still watch youtube clips of the WIlliams FW14b now, what a car!

It was a pity the governing body banned active suspension, traction control etc in 1994 when Senna arrived to race for Williams. I believe the problems Williams had with the car in 1994 was due to the time it took for the Williams team to re-adjust it's design and power after they banned the active suspension and traction control mechanisms. Eventually the team re-adjusted to the new rules but all too late for Senna who had sadly passed.

The 1988 McLaren MP4/4 was also a beast with it's Honda twin turbo and was the most powerful car on the grid. I think Prost and Senna won 15 out of the 16 races in that McLaren.

Reaction score
That was a boring ass race. Wasn't worth staying up and watching.. I'm glad my boy Alonso had a decent result. I'd like to see him get one last shot with a better team. I know it won't happen, but I feel like he still has a lot to offer.
i don't know, it was kinda interesting. particularly leclerc panicking when he realised the undercut from redbull worked. max on just his second lap after pitting had already taken off 2 seconds and effectively was in first position. changes to the pit exit meant the undercut was super strong and ferrari threw the race away by leclerc not pitting first.

if you look at the telemetry from leclercs crash lap and his 1 or 2 laps before that, he was throwing up yellow sector times, then on his crash lap the same yellow sectors at first but then he put up a purple mini sector but crashed before he could complete the full purple sector. somewhere between starting the lap and him starting to push he must have been advised on radio that the undercut had worked and max was in his pit window. he reacted by pushing hard to counter the undercut but his tyres were shot and he didn't have the grip and lost the backend pushing too hard on them

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i don't know, it was kinda interesting. particularly leclerc panicking when he realised the undercut from redbull worked. max on just his second lap after pitting had already taken off 2 seconds and effectively was in first position. changes to the pit exit meant the undercut was super strong and ferrari threw the race away by leclerc not pitting first.

if you look at the telemetry from leclercs crash lap and his 1 or 2 laps before that, he was throwing up yellow sector times, then on his crash lap the same yellow sectors at first but then he put up a purple mini sector but crashed before he could complete the full purple sector. somewhere between starting the lap and him starting to push he must have been advised on radio that the undercut had worked and max was in his pit window. he reacted by pushing hard to counter the undercut but his tyres were shot and he didn't have the grip and lost the backend pushing too hard on them
That's been Leclerc's issue this season.. He's made several costly errors in these battles with Verstappen and other drivers. He's as talented as anyone but his concentration or ability to handle pressure needs to improve for him to be a world champion. And Ferrari's reliability issues..

I think it was a boring race after Leclerc went out as Max was never troubled and there weren't many great battles behind him. The most exciting moment was when Sainz almost crashed into Albon and ran over a pit crew member in the pit lane..

Reaction score
That's been Leclerc's issue this season.. He's made several costly errors in these battles with Verstappen and other drivers. He's as talented as anyone but his concentration or ability to handle pressure needs to improve for him to be a world champion. And Ferrari's reliability issues..

I think it was a boring race after Leclerc went out as Max was never troubled and there weren't many great battles behind him. The most exciting moment was when Sainz almost crashed into Albon and ran over a pit crew member in the pit lane..
yeah agree with that, hopefully ferrari smarten up so the remaining races are active

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another typical Ferrari weekend. Blistering pace through FP and Qualifying and fuck it up come Race Day!

The decision to go onto Hards for LeClerc was baffling considering the data across the weekend suggested it was a poor race tyre. I think they used a fair chunk of their mediums though over the weekend?

Brilliant drive by Max to come from P10 to victory including his pirouette.

Mercedes have gotten better at race pace but are benefiting hugely from Ferrari mistakes.

I'm also concerned for Perez as he has gone backwards over the last few races. I think the team is setting up the car to Max's taste in order to maximise performance but at the cost of Perezs performance (Gasly, Albon all over). ..

Interesting to see any developments over the summer break.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fernando Alonso has signed with Aston Martin from next year on a multi year deal....

Did not see that coming but that obviously clears the way for Piastri

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fernando Alonso has signed with Aston Martin from next year on a multi year deal....

Did not see that coming but that obviously clears the way for Piastri
I'm sick of seeing him sign for the lesser teams. He's good enough to be driving for Ferrari, Red Bull or Mercedes and getting results. But the problem is they want younger drivers and they're not looking at Alonso..

It'd be great to see Piastri get a drive though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nope false. Piastri has come out and said he hasn't agreed to anything
It'd be a good team for him to join if they can maintain their performance. Race to race they've been the most consistent team outside of the top 3. It'd be better than Piastri joining Haas or Williams which would be a disaster for him. Unless he can replace Riccardo at McLaren?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Crazy.. It shows how badly Alpine handled this and how in demand Piastri is..

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Piastri's contract with Alpine allegedly expired on 31st July. The statement from Alpine also only said "Promoted" and not Signed.

Williams seems like a dumb move by Oscar but somehow I think a Riccardo to Williams and Oscar to McLaren is more likely.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Apparently the reports are McLaren have told Ricky Bobby he will be moved on at seasons end in favour of Piastri

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricky Bobby Hahaha

Ricky Bobby needs to move on and hopefully be the lead driver at a new team to get some credibility back, problem is he's already driven with half the teams (or associate teams) on the grid.

Got a lot of time for Riccardo but think piastri will be a fan favourite from day 1. I loved watching him cl8nch his titles in f3 and f2.

I think Doohan will be something special too he's got some of the best pace in qualifying just gotta learn to manage the races.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like Piastri to McLaren is basically a done deal. It's good to see him land with a decent team..

Riccardo has been outperformed by Norris so badly the last season and a half. He'll be lucky to get a drive with Williams the way he's been going the last several seasons.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ricciardo has officially announced he is leaving McLaren after he and the team mutually agreed to terminate his contract by seasons end.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ricciardo has officially announced he is leaving McLaren after he and the team mutually agreed to terminate his contract by seasons end.
Sounds like he would have gotten a nice pay packet to leave at seasons end.

Does he go back to Alpine, Williams, Haas or NASCAR?

I can't see him going from midfield to filler inner at Williams and the Haas seat relies on what they do with Mick but atleast they have shown some decent pace this year. As for Alpine, it does make the most sense, but again that is up the Alpine head honchos to choose given how he left last time.

NASCAR however... That I could see happening.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like he would have gotten a nice pay packet to leave at seasons end.

Does he go back to Alpine, Williams, Haas or NASCAR?

I can't see him going from midfield to filler inner at Williams and the Haas seat relies on what they do with Mick but atleast they have shown some decent pace this year. As for Alpine, it does make the most sense, but again that is up the Alpine head honchos to choose given how he left last time.

NASCAR however... That I could see happening.
Alpine alongside Ocon.

DanRic left Renault just as they started an upwards trajectory and Alonso has been going well there this year (as has Ocon). He didn't get along with Cyril Abiteboul though, who was quite the arrogant dickhead. But now Otmar Szafnauer is heading up Alpine, things are very different there.

I think it's best for Alpine to forget about going after Piastri and the contract drama there, just sign up Danny Ric and let McLaren have Piastri.