The Football Thread (For all Football/Soccer talk)

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lolol will allways be remember as slippy g

also fk Gerard he kept scholes out of the England side and they didn’t win shit with him in there
Scholes is IMO the best English player of his generation... somehow Giggs initially and then Beckham gained the spotlight of that 'Class of 1992' but Scholes was the heartbeat

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Scholes is IMO the best English player of his generation... somehow Giggs initially and then Beckham gained the spotlight of that 'Class of 1992' but Scholes was the heartbeat
What makes you guys put Scholes over Gerrard? The trophies? How he dominated games?

Honest question as I find this debate really interesting.

Of course I'd always say Gerrard but I think my hatred of United clouded things a little initially but since looking at Scholes more he was such a wonderful player in his prime. So, I can see why Scholes is thought of so highly.

Over Gerrard? Not sure tbh, but it's all about opinions.

You're a neutral. Why Scholes over Gerrard?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes you guys put Scholes over Gerrard? The trophies? How he dominated games?

Honest question as I find this debate really interesting.

Of course I'd always say Gerrard but I think my hatred of United clouded things a little initially but since looking at Scholes more he was such a wonderful player in his prime. So, I can see why Scholes is thought of so highly.

Over Gerrard? Not sure tbh, but it's all about opinions.

You're a neutral. Why Scholes over Gerrard?
Scholes was better technically, his touch, close control, his interplay in keeping possession, vision (as with Gerrard), passing, long balls (as with Gerrard), had a good eye for goal, was game in defence (could have worked on his actual tackling though), not necessarily the best dribbler but neither were Gerrard and Lampard, big match player (but so was Gerrard) etc.

Gerrard was more dynamic, better leader, had a great shot on him, got around the pitch better, both played various roles as to what was required etc.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
100% I was just watching his goals man he scored some absolute screamers

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Scholes was better technically, his touch, close control, his interplay in keeping possession, vision (as with Gerrard), passing, long balls (as with Gerrard), had a good eye for goal, was game in defence (could have worked on his actual tackling though), not necessarily the best dribbler but neither were Gerrard and Lampard, big match player (but so was Gerrard) etc.

Gerrard was more dynamic, better leader, had a great shot on him, got around the pitch better, both played various roles as to what was required etc.
Tbh, I think it's quite hard to judge who's the better. I don't think Lampard is even close to these two but some seem to think he he?

I never really watched Scholes until recently, so hard for me to say in all honesty which isn't really good as it shows I'm just saying Gerrard because of him being a Liverpool legend ...

I'd say from what I saw technically he was better than Gerrard, I agree. Was very silky in the way he played, and seemed to be able to dictate the pace of the game really well which I think was better than Gerrard.

I guess I'd always go for the bigger leader and for me there's no one bigger than Gerrard in that regard. But, again, I haven't watched enough of Scholes to say tbh

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Scholes is not better than Gerrard or Lampard. They were the best or second best player on their own team. Scholes was not and could never carry a team. Switch Gerrard and Scholes in the Liverpool team in 2005 and they don't even make the KO stages of the UCL let alone win the whole thing.

There was also a reason why Scholes retired from international football young, Gerrard & Lampard were picked in CM over him.

Also SAF & Mourinho both tried to buy Gerrard when they had Scholes & Lampard at their peak.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Scholes is not better than Gerrard or Lampard. They were the best or second best player on their own team. Scholes was not and could never carry a team. Switch Gerrard and Scholes in the Liverpool team in 2005 and they don't even make the KO stages of the UCL let alone win the whole thing.

There was also a reason why Scholes retired from international football young, Gerrard & Lampard were picked in CM over him.

Also SAF & Mourinho both tried to buy Gerrard when they had Scholes & Lampard at their peak.
Good call about both SAF and Mourinho trying to buy Gerrard. Very true.

I just think it's hard to go past Gerrard considering how much he won single handedly for Liverpool who often didn't realy have a decent team on the park. Is Scholes thought of so highly because the team around him elevated him?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Good call about both SAF and Mourinho trying to buy Gerrard. Very true.

I just think it's hard to go past Gerrard considering how much he won single handedly for Liverpool who often didn't realy have a decent team on the park. Is Scholes thought of so highly because the team around him elevated him?
If Gerrard played in the United or Chelsea team they would've won every trophy. Gerrard was a level above Lampard and Scholes as he was basically both of them combined skill wise. SAF never tried to buy Lampard & Mourinho never tried to buy Scholes. People argue that Scholes passed the ball better than Gerrard and Gerrad still had more assists than him.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Gerrard played in the United or Chelsea team they would've won every trophy. Gerrard was a level above Lampard and Scholes as he was basically both of them combined skill wise. SAF never tried to buy Lampard & Mourinho never tried to buy Scholes. People argue that Scholes passed the ball better than Gerrard and Gerrad still had more assists than him.
They had no chances signing scholes away from United
They knew so why bother
On big money and winning every trophy lol, why would he leave
They knew they had zero chance of leaving
Ya take scholes out of that u tied team I Garni tee we don’t win half the shit we won
He was the heartbeat, the general
He dictated the pace of the game and controlled it

Alchemist “hit the nail on the head”
Scholes was the best

But We won’t ever agree on this one lol

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lampard was a very good player, too... very intelligent in his positioning, good workrate, a great shot, had an almost unworldly ability when to attack the box, his goal scoring for a midfielder was phenomenal, in a way he was better than the other two when he did not have the ball, longevity etc.

I do though think he is a tad overrated (eg. best midfielder ever in the EPL, in the best ever XI for the EPL)

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tbh, I think it's quite hard to judge who's the better. I don't think Lampard is even close to these two but some seem to think he he?

I never really watched Scholes until recently, so hard for me to say in all honesty which isn't really good as it shows I'm just saying Gerrard because of him being a Liverpool legend ...

I'd say from what I saw technically he was better than Gerrard, I agree. Was very silky in the way he played, and seemed to be able to dictate the pace of the game really well which I think was better than Gerrard.

I guess I'd always go for the bigger leader and for me there's no one bigger than Gerrard in that regard. But, again, I haven't watched enough of Scholes to say tbh
Gerrard would fit into this current Liverpool team so well. He really was a prototypical Liverpool player, whenever I think of Liverpool past and present the first thing that comes to mind is hard working and dynamic, and thats exactly what Gerrard was.

For me Scholes was the better player, but its an awkward comparison because they had different roles within their teams. Scholes as he got older played the Xabi Alonso role more than the Gerrard role.

He is going really well so far at Villa, didn't expect him to be as good as a manager so early on.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lampard was a very good player, too... very intelligent in his positioning, good workrate, a great shot, had an almost unworldly ability when to attack the box, his goal scoring for a midfielder was phenomenal, in a way he was better than the other two when he did not have the ball, longevity etc.

I do though think he is a tad overrated (eg. best midfielder ever in the EPL, in the best ever XI for the EPL)
If Lampard was still playing today he would be slaughtered on twitter and social media as much as Bruno is these days. Statistically speaking and stylistically they play a very similar way, Lampard played in one of the best defensive teams in the history of the game and so he was covered for when he was found out of position. I think he was a level below Scholes and Gerrard.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Scholes was the heartbeat for 11 titles, there were years at the end when Gerrard played in teams that were just as good as United team and even still it was Scholes who won the league.

But like I said earlier, its an awkward comparison because ideally you'd play them two together, Scholes as the #6 and Gerrard the #8.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No point comparing
U tied supporters going to say scholes
Liverpool Gerard

And the trophy count has its own opinion …..

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Scholes was the heartbeat for 11 titles, there were years at the end when Gerrard played in teams that were just as good as United team and even still it was Scholes who won the league.

But like I said earlier, its an awkward comparison because ideally you'd play them two together, Scholes as the #6 and Gerrard the #8.
Scholes was not a DM. He was not United's most important player. Every title that they won they would've won if they had Gerrard or Lampard.

Gerrard has more goals and more assists than Scholes surrounded by lesser talent. United by far had the most talent in those days of the EPL.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Scholes was not a DM. He was not United's most important player. Every title that they won they would've won if they had Gerrard or Lampard.

Gerrard has more goals and more assists than Scholes surrounded by lesser talent. United by far had the most talent in those days of the EPL.
Gerard couldn’t even mange 1 title 1.
The best win shit
Simple as

He played in some very good Liverpool sides and old sloppy g cost em one
Don’t see scholes making school boy errors to throw the title away

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Man city controlling the game but Chelsea playing well
Geez there a different team with Kante in there
I wonder if they will swap him for Fred plus a box of apples
Grealish hasn’t lived up to the 100m price tag, should of made it 1-0