The Dogs of War

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs turn to former greats to restore club’s ‘Dogs of War’ culture
Phil Rothfield, The Sunday Telegraph
October 7, 2017 9:00pm
Subscriber only
THE Canterbury Bulldogs will use their last five premiership-winning captains at Belmore next season to restore the club’s famous old “Dogs of War” culture under new coach Dean Pay.

Terry Lamb, Andrew Ryan and Peter Tunks will be offered rolesalongside returning board member Steve Mortimer and Leagues Club chairman George Peponis — the last five men to skipper the Bulldogs to grand final victories.

Terry Lamb could bring some of that old spirit back to Belmore.
All will have responsibilities close to football club operations as a support network for Pay, new football manager Andrew Farrar and the coaching staff now being assembled.

It’s all about restoring the club DNA which they say gradually disappeared under former coach Des Hasler, despite the fact he made the finals in five of his six seasons.

The decision to invite the all the old captains back is obviously a tactic before February’s AGM to win back the support of disgruntled members.

It’s been too long since the Bulldogs were themselves.
The only negative at Belmore is the departure of another club stalwart, assistant coach Jimmy Dymock who has gone to the Cronulla Sharks.

“I’m disappointed I missed out (on the coaching job) but good luck to Dean,” Dymock said. “There’s no hard feelings and I’ve still got a lot of respect for the club.

“I had 13 years — three as a player and 10 as a coach. I just thought I needed a fresh start and a new pathway to becoming a head coach.”

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs DNA enthused with the fabled stories and spirit of yesteryear I smell a premiership boys :grinning: As long as our current squad buy into it. Happy days will soon be here again.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The final piece is our squad getting super fit like the old days ,would love folkesy

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dib, he’s going hard.... Got respect that! Interesting to see how he’ll go come February!
Some might say that it's a little to late, but Dib certainly seems to be making all the right moves presently. The problem Dib faces is no matter how much sugar coating he applies Bulldogs Members and Fans seem to have long lasting memories. Dib still has a long way to go!!!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Some might say that it's a little to late, but Dib certainly seems to be making all the right moves presently. The problem Dib faces is no matter how much sugar coating he applies Bulldogs Members and Fans seem to have long lasting memories. Dib still has a long way to go!!!!
You wouldn't say that if you attended the fan forum in May. They loved Des and they love Dib....well most of them do.....and they are the ones who vote :grinning:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You wouldn't say that if you attended the fan forum in May. They loved Des and they love Dib....well most of them do.....and they are the ones who vote :grinning:
And what happened to the dynamic duo a couple of months down the track???? Reality is a bitch and when she bites she bites hard :grinning:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Whenever I've listened to talking sport over the years Tunks seems super dirty on the club.

Recently I heard another team supporter saying something like you guys are moving in the right direction and he was super quick to distance himself from the club like he didn't want to be part of it.

If he has that attitude I hope he sticks to the radio show and has nothing to do with the club.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to see Mark Hughes involved too. Even if only as a talent consultant.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
ogre to come back as running coach

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
It all comes down to the boys buying in, I have a feeling some of our boys will take to it like a fish to water. We need an Us vs them mentality instilled. We NEED a team full of tough no nonsense players with that old rough & tough defence & an entertaining UNPREDICTABLE attacking style. That real bulldogs style but idk ... can we even get back to that place ?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why didn't Dib put in this much effort before

If that **** gets re elected he will go back to resting on his lorrals

He needs to step up if re elected

He needs to constantly make people accountable

He needs to identify when things are slipping away

For fuck sake
We on the kennel saw it back in 2014
Despite winning our way to a grand final

We were basically mud the rest of the season

And Dib let it go for 3 seasons
And if it wasn't for fans and sponsors complaining in droves and Dib up for re election he would have left things the way they were.

He is the head honcho

It's time he had bit more forward thinking

And started putting pressure when people get complacent and for fuck sake

If Tolman ever touches the ball in the opposition 20, I want him fucking sacked

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Issue we may have is that the majority of the current playing group were not Bulldogs Juniors. Our culture will improve as more juniors filter through to first grade. This is when our DNA will be truly restored. We are haeaded in the right direction however.y

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all comes down to the boys buying in, I have a feeling some of our boys will take to it like a fish to water. We need an Us vs them mentality instilled. We NEED a team full of tough no nonsense players with that old rough & tough defence & an entertaining UNPREDICTABLE attacking style. That real bulldogs style but idk ... can we even get back to that place ?
I miss the us vs them mentality!!!!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely Klemmer will be back in the front row with Woods, with Pay coaching. And Jackson isn't a wide running back rower - he's a lock and should be plugging the middle for us, even if he plays a few less minutes. I'm not big on Tolman as a bench player - doesn't hurt people so no real impact (not a Dog of War that's for sure). RFM aside, our second row options are skinny so I hope To'omaga and the new Kiwi Ofahiki Ogden can step up bring some grunt.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Surely Klemmer will be back in the front row with Woods, with Pay coaching. And Jackson isn't a wide running back rower - he's a lock and should be plugging the middle for us, even if he plays a few less minutes. I'm not big on Tolman as a bench player - doesn't hurt people so no real impact (not a Dog of War that's for sure). RFM aside, our second row options are skinny so I hope To'omaga and the new Kiwi Ofahiki Ogden can step up bring some grunt.
You are forgetting Martin. Back to back backrower of the year awards in both Qld and NSW reserve grade comps the last 2 years. Runs good lines, decent workrate in defence and attack, decent ball skills and kicks goals better than anyone else in the squad atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.