The Dogs are havin’ a partaaaay………… and the Broncos are in the bin: Round 21 Match report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Dogs are havin’ a partaaaay………… and the Broncos are in the bin: Round 21 Match report

The Bulldogs have trounced the Broncos at ANZ Stadium and registered a 36-22 victory to open Round 21 of the NRL competition.

I would like to start this match report with something of a list.

The Bulldogs were more aggressive, disciplined, committed, desperate and hungry than our friends from the north and the Broncos will travel home knowing they were met, matched and belted by one of the proudest teams in the league.

What began as a cagey affair turned into an absolute points fest for the Dogs as they found the line five times and the boot of Rhyse Martin added further pain to the visitors’ trip to Sydney.

With a top four place still up for grabs, Wayne Bennett would be well within reason to ask his team exactly what it was that they produced at ANZ tonight. A pair of late consolation tries flattered them on the scoreboard and the Bulldogs led, dominated and thoroughly deserved their victory.

In what looked a potentially low scoring affair, with the opening fifteen minutes producing a lone penalty goal to Martin, the Bulldogs exploded. Tries to Josh Jackson and Will Hopoate put them fourteen clear and the upset was well and truly on the cards.

Enter Korbin Sims, who found the line twice and the northerners had clawed within four points at half time as the Bulldogs took a 16-12 lead into the break.

By far the better team in the first half, the blue and whites put the foot to the floor early in the second and with tries to the Morris brothers and Matt Frawley, built an unassailable 36-12 lead at the 66th minute mark of the game.

Late tries to Anthony Milford and Jamayne Isaako were merely morale boosting, on a night that the Bulldogs took a real step forward in their preparations for next season.

As brilliant as the Morris boys were, the youth in the squad was even more impressive. Up against a side with serious aspirations coming into the semi-finals, the Dogs were ferocious and desperate in defence.

Adam Elliott continued his outstanding form, Kerrod Holland showed further signs of improvement and Reimis Smith ran for 100 plus metres and continued his development as an NRL player.

The star of the night, again, was Lachlan Lewis who ran, passed and kicked astutely. The Bulldogs finally look to have held onto a play maker of immense talent, rather than letting another star slip through its fingers; only to return and cause pain in opposition colours.

It was a glorious night for the Club, the coach and the players. With a rebuild underway and a coach and board inheriting the problems borne of those who came before them, the signs are well and truly evident that the clean out of players occupying unnecessary salary cap space has already begun to reap rewards.

With the chance to spoil a few teams on the run home, the Bulldogs have plenty for which to play. It looks like we might be witnessing the rebirth of the famous blue and white culture. A culture of which the new board spoke and the one we saw on the field tonight.

Final score

Canterbury-Bankstown 36 Brisbane Broncos 22

What was your take on the game? Place your comment or opinion in the space below and join in the Bulldog conversation.

https://www.stuartthomas.com.au/the...broncos-are-in-the-bin-round-21-match-report/

Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it's late in the season but reading this brings a tear to the eye, smile to the lips and hope for the future.
Thats all this year was ever going to be bleeding a few rookies start to build a platform ,im not expecting miracles next year either but hopefully we can build something decent in the next season or 2 and start a premiership charge.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I look at these rounds as an important step into building for 2019. Nearly 2 months of trials with real premiership consequences for the other teams is exactly what this young side needs.

I like Dean Pay, but his single biggest mistake for 2018 was not taking our trials seriously enough. A new coach, with a new squad and combinations should have really tried to nail things down as early as possible. Instead it took us way too long while clubs like the Warriors and Dragons early on settled on their combinations and got the results quickly.

Lessons will be learned from this season.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs were more aggressive, disciplined, committed, desperate and hungry than our friends from the north and the Broncos will travel home knowing they were met, matched and belted by one of the proudest teams in the league.

This is what I want from our team on a weekly basis and this is exactly how I want the opposition teams to feel after they have played against us. It's time to put the fear back into the opposition. Let them all know win, lose or draw we are NO EASY BEATS!!!!

Mate-ship and pride :grinning:

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

This is what I want from our team on a weekly basis and this is exactly how I want the opposition teams to feel after they have played against us. It's time to put the fear back into the opposition. Let them all know win, lose or draw we are NO EASY BEATS!!!!
I gotta be honest, I think we've been all of the above during this whole period with Des and this year. I don't think any team plays us and think we're easy beats. Our issue has just been guidance from the top and finesse on-field.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I look at these rounds as an important step into building for 2019. Nearly 2 months of trials with real premiership consequences for the other teams is exactly what this young side needs.

I like Dean Pay, but his single biggest mistake for 2018 was not taking our trials seriously enough. A new coach, with a new squad and combinations should have really tried to nail things down as early as possible. Instead it took us way too long while clubs like the Warriors and Dragons early on settled on their combinations and got the results quickly.

Lessons will be learned from this season.
This whole year was a trial, demolition and rebuild process... Have to say the club, staff and fans have done a great job which has put us in good stead for next season.

Gotta love being a Bulldog, Bulldog by name, Bulldog by nature!

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty good considering we beat the broncs last time but had some terrible calls, same with the first souths game this year and unlucky against Canberra. I have enjoyed the last few weeks more than the last 3 Des years to be honest.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
And we were without Klemmer, and last minute replacement in Frawley; yet the team played like they were they'd been the same side all year.

Wonder what we'd be like if Hasler hadn't let Damien Cook go.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I Love what Lachlan Lewis said while being interviewed after the game. He said " I saw that all the 'experts' had picked the Broncos so we set ourselves for a big showing ! ' It's won on the field ,not in the papers" Way to go Lachie I love it when the boys turn these so called experts into fools. :hearteyes:

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What im most impressed with is the young blokes all jumping up a gear and playing that consistant footy, most impressed with Rhyse Martin, didnt realise he is that good.
The future is bright, it will be interesting to see who we pickup from here on in.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What im most impressed with is the young blokes all jumping up a gear and playing that consistant footy, most impressed with Rhyse Martin, didnt realise he is that good.
The future is bright, it will be interesting to see who we pickup from here on in.
I want to put up a motion to nick name Rhyse Martin, Mr 2 points :grinning: The last time I was so confident in our goal kicker was when Hazem El Masri was with the club.

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And we were without Klemmer, and last minute replacement in Frawley; yet the team played like they were they'd been the same side all year.

Wonder what we'd be like if Hasler hadn't let Damien Cook go.
Cook would have his legs clipped there is no running from dummmy half in des ball

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Adam Elliott continued his outstanding form

kill me now

Reactions: DT

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think without the new rule of 30 man squads this rejuvenation of our team may have started sooner. The rule ties the hands of coaching staff if someone comes on in leaps and bounds. But we as fans needed some joy. Seeing the club blood youngsters and get some instant results means more to us right now than seeing some rare and exciting attacking football. It means we get to hope the future will be bright sooner than expected. I'll keep my hopes up that we finish the season with a dramatic resurgence of form that makes the team hungry for blood from round one next year and with the belief that th they are capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.