News The Dally M leader and two-time reject Ciraldo wants to build Bulldogs around

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see him as a centre as well. He is wasted on the wing IMO.
With Xerri coming next year, probably better to leave Kiraz on the wing. We'd have Crighton at fullback and Xerri and Perham fighting out for 1 wing spot and Alomoti the other, let Kiraz establish himself as a reliable NRL level winger. He's got all the passion in the world. His strengths are his hitups and tenacious way he fights for everything. Best to stay a winger. Averillo not doing too bad at centre, he himself is building confidence playing alongside Kiraz.
Besides, as seen a couple of times during Tigers game, under Potter, both Kiraz and JAC had roving commissions at times to seek out the ball, especially in broken play. So wing is find for Kiraz.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Especially with Averillo being the centre. Averillo is not a good centre.
Unfortunately Averillo is not good anywhere... he could be... but doesn't seem to be getting there.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hate this take in the modern game.

Wingers touch the ball more, and his output can’t be replicated playing as a 3 or 4. His kick returns, or hit ups on 2nd or 3rd off the ruck are where he makes so many metres.
And if he keeps swapping positions in attack what does it matter.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Xerri coming next year, probably better to leave Kiraz on the wing. We'd have Crighton at fullback and Xerri and Perham fighting out for 1 wing spot and Alomoti the other, let Kiraz establish himself as a reliable NRL level winger. He's got all the passion in the world. His strengths are his hitups and tenacious way he fights for everything. Best to stay a winger. Averillo not doing too bad at centre, he himself is building confidence playing alongside Kiraz.
Besides, as seen a couple of times during Tigers game, under Potter, both Kiraz and JAC had roving commissions at times to seek out the ball, especially in broken play. So wing is find for Kiraz.
Honestly our backline could look like anything in a couple of years...

Papali'i will knock Crighton back to the centres whilst Alamoti should hold his spot considering the kid hasn't even had a growth spurt yet so Avo may have to miss out.

JAC might still be around and then there is Kiraz...

You'll have Xerri well and truly back after a year back on the paddock and then you have a flock a fringees including Perham/Skelton/Casey/Clarke and other juniors coming through..

We are so stacked its not funny... we are going to have to let some decent players walk which is why I still think the Crighton get was extremely unnecessary, especially for 800k

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
End of the day, im just glad he is with us where he belongs.

But I still want my boy Skelton in FG.
I know you made the call very early on Skelton he’s looking good along with our reserve grade fullback.
In my opinion a bit of time in lower grade just to hone some skills won’t go astray.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I know you made the call very early on Skelton he’s looking good along with our reserve grade fullback.
In my opinion a bit of time in lower grade just to hone some skills won’t go astray.
When he cracks FG I'm going to show him all my fanboy posts so maybe he will give me a signed jersey or box tickets for half the kennel lol

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he cracks FG I'm going to show him all my fanboy posts so maybe he will give me a signed jersey or box tickets for half the kennel lol
I’m not sure about showing him fanboy stuff he might think your some kind of nutcase lol
Can I join you in the box for a couple of shandies

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I see him as a centre as well. He is wasted on the wing IMO.
Not wasted at all. He’s killing it on the wing. If anything he’d be wasted in the centres. Wingers are more involved in the modern game than centres.
Good to see him killing it hope he keeps it up.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not wasted at all. He’s killing it on the wing. If anything he’d be wasted in the centres. Wingers are more involved in the modern game than centres.
He might be playing as a winger but absolutely loves getting involved and goes looking for the ball, that’s a true sign of a great player who is backing themselves.
No point sitting on a sideline waiting for that play which comes their way.
This guy has been a revelation and cost us hardly anything.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It's also good that he can cover centre if needed.

I can see he and Skelton switching positions whenever they want during the game.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

I can see he and Skelton switching positions whenever they want during the game.
Yeah he will move around. He won’t stay on the wing waiting for anything.
Loves to break a tackle toImage1679559660.564492.jpg
Is it biased to say I think our wingers are the form wingers in the comp?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You’ve been watching Skelton pretty closely, what do you make of his defence ?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You’ve been watching Skelton pretty closely, what do you make of his defence ?
Slowly getting better my bro...

Don't forget he has a Rugby and 7s background.

But if he is next to Kiraz, shouldn't be a problem if he cracks FG realistically around Origin time.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould reveals how Knights let unlikely Dally M leader go to the Dogs on 'genius' $40k deal!
Wide World of Sports

Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould has revealed how the club came to sign shock Dally M leader Jacob Kiraz on a paltry $40,000 deal, declaring that the move has made him "look a genius".

Kiraz has enjoyed an outstanding start to the season, playing a starring role for the 2-1 Bulldogs through the first three rounds. He sits atop the Dally M leaderboard with 11 points, two ahead of Payne Haas and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.

The 21-year-old returned to the club that knocked him back twice as a junior on a $1000-per-year train-and-trial deal, before making his debut last season and has not looked back since.

Gould described Kiraz as a "great kid", adding that he was "wholehearted" and revealed his stunned reaction to seeing the powerful winger in action for the first time on the training track.

"I'd never seen him play, so I did some homework on him," he told Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles With Gus podcast.

"He came down to us on $40,000.

"I remember walking into training around Christmas time ... I'm sitting there in the heat and this big gangly thing just goes loping past and I said, 'Who the hell is that?', and they said, 'That's that boy from Newcastle, Kiraz'. I said, 'That's him?' He said, 'Yeah'. I said, 'Wow, he's going to make me look a genius'.

"Right from the time he started to play, he was a ball-runner and you couldn't contain him. He had big long gangly features and he was a strong runner.

"We ran into COVID and injury problems early last year, we were playing the Broncos and we had to get a couple of players qualified and he and Billy Tsikrikas made their debut. They weren't anywhere near the top 30 and (Kiraz) was the best player on the field.

"I immediately renewed his contract and signed him up and I'm going to have to renew it and sign him up again."

Gould said Kiraz had ended up back at Belmore after his manager approached him following stints at the Cowboys and Knights that were ruined by COVID-19.

"He'd actually signed a contract to go to the Cowboys when he was younger and got identified by a Cowboy talent scout," he said.

"He went up there but COVID hit and there was no lower grade or development football, so he came back home. That talent scout then moved from the Cowboys to the Newcastle Knights ... so he went to the Newcastle Knights. His deal was staggered from an incentive deal, to a contract, to maybe a lower-tier top 30, but again COVID hit the following year.

"So he was training but not playing and he'd gone two years without football and because of his contract he'd suddenly found his way into the top 30.

"Well the first grade coach is looking for forwards and he's got this kid Kiraz he hasn't seen play for two years, he's never seen him play. The talent scout said, 'Oh I think he's a good player', but the coach just said, 'Oh well, we need forwards, if we need to move someone, move him'."

The Knights' loss has wound up being Gould and the Bulldogs' major gain, with Kiraz scoring two tries in three appearances so far to go along with his six tries last season.

The Bulldogs will hope Kiraz's match-winning exploits travel across the Tasman when the team faces the red-hot Warriors in New Zealand in round four.