The Consolidated Cricket Thread

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smith is not in a good place and I thought it may have been a bit too soon to front the media. However, he showed a steely determination to do so and a sense of duty to all.I applaud the first "question" by a journo being cut short, there is no place for that in this situation.

I am not dismissing in any way his wrongfulness in being part of this dark day of Australian Cricket but it was quite confronting seeing his distress, which I believe was genuine, and he gave the impression that he has learnt a very important life lesson in all of this and that he is indeed remorseful for what has happened.

He will continue to be punished with loss of sponsors and the fact he has been banned from all forms of the game bar grade cricket for the next twelve months. His apology to his family, his team mates and all involved in the game was heartfelt.

He should be given support to help get past this and I hope that he does, but, those who are saying that the punishment is harsh need to understand that in the past this sort of caper was glossed over with the 'boys will be boys' attitude and that 'others have done it' with the punishments previously meted out indicated that although it was frowned upon it was not the be all and end all. The action taken was considered and purposeful in its harshness.

A definite line in the sand has been drawn and a clear indicator given that this type of poor sportsmanship, no, this type of out and out cheating is not, will not and should not to be tolerated.

Smith will learn from this and I just hope that others who may consider this type of behaviour do too.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The captain didn't entice anyone. The vice captain did. The captain didn't stand in his way
I stand corrected. Further information relating to Warner's part in it all has come to light.

Smith admits to his poor judgement in all of this and the fact that he has let a lot of people down with his actions; if he had just said NO and put an end to it all then and there this situation may not have eventuated

Warner apparently will fly in some time later tonight. Both of the other boys have faced the press already and I guess there will be a group there to meet Warner when he arrives back in the country.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Further information relating to Warner's part in it all has come to light.

Smith admits to his poor judgement in all of this and the fact that he has let a lot of people down with his actions; if he had just said NO and put an end to it all then and there this situation may not have eventuated

Warner apparently will fly in some time later tonight. Both of the other boys have faced the press already and I guess there will be a group there to meet Warner when he arrives back in the country.
Warner released this today

*edit pic removed: see kaz post above actually it shows the warner statement. Looks like he is dodging the press for now

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Warner released this today

*edit pic removed: see kaz post above actually it shows the warner statement. Looks like he is dodging the press for now
Okay mate thanks. I guess he wants some of the heat to disappear before he faces the music. The two others dove right in and faced them today...that makes them more of a man than Warner.that opening part of the statement " I am on my way back to Sydney" whoop de do......third sentence until we get some sort of apology

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sheesh..couple of tough press conferences there..it’s obvious they have learnt a hard lesson in judgment..and when they come back..after a pretty harsh penalty..which I hope they do..they’ll be much the wiser.. And as Smith said it may serve as a deterrent to other players..in particular young guys.. not to do the same thing..

However in the end..they tampered with a cricket ball..which didn’t work anyway..they lost the test..everyone seems to forget that.. and that’s all they did..didn’t hurt anybody..just hurt their reputation.. Hopefully they can get the support around em..because the next few months will be pretty tough..

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Sheesh..couple of tough press conferences there..it’s obvious they have learnt a hard lesson in judgment..and when they come back..after a pretty harsh penalty..which I hope they do..they’ll be much the wiser.. And as Smith said it may serve as a deterrent to other players..in particular young guys.. not to do the same thing..

However in the end..they tampered with a cricket ball..which didn’t work anyway..they lost the test..everyone seems to forget that.. and that’s all they did..didn’t hurt anybody..just hurt their reputation.. Hopefully they can get the support around em..because the next few months will be pretty tough..
Yeah 12 months suspension is just way over the top, don't get me wrong they deserve to be suspended for what they did but geez 12 months! The ICC suspends smith for a maximum of 5 days, CA give him 365.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Smith is not in a good place and I thought it may have been a bit too soon to front the media. However, he showed a steely determination to do so and a sense of duty to all.I applaud the first "question" by a journo being cut short, there is no place for that in this situation.

I am not dismissing in any way his wrongfulness in being part of this dark day of Australian Cricket but it was quite confronting seeing his distress, which I believe was genuine, and he gave the impression that he has learnt a very important life lesson in all of this and that he is indeed remorseful for what has happened.

He will continue to be punished with loss of sponsors and the fact he has been banned from all forms of the game bar grade cricket for the next twelve months. His apology to his family, his team mates and all involved in the game was heartfelt.

He should be given support to help get past this and I hope that he does, but, those who are saying that the punishment is harsh need to understand that in the past this sort of caper was glossed over with the 'boys will be boys' attitude and that 'others have done it' with the punishments previously meted out indicated that although it was frowned upon it was not the be all and end all. The action taken was considered and purposeful in its harshness.

A definite line in the sand has been drawn and a clear indicator given that this type of poor sportsmanship, no, this type of out and out cheating is not, will not and should not to be tolerated.

Smith will learn from this and I just hope that others who may consider this type of behaviour do too.
I disagree... and I think if they did challenge things in court, the court would disagree too. There’s just no precedent for this and it will very possibly ruin three careers..

Smith looked absolutely broken and the sanction is just totally disproportionate to the laws and guidelines of the game.

I font think they will challenge and font know they should, it would only generate more ill will.... but I don’t agree with the penalty at all. If the ICC had established that stance itself or even if CA had been transparent in its stance and made its policy and prospective penalties for tampering before the fact I’d say fair’s fair.... but I don’t believe in this sort of retrospective “justice” ... not when you’re talking decisions which can impact careers and lives like this.

But if anyone’s going to challenge the decision, I guess it would be Warner. Will be interesting to see what he says when he does talk.

It shouldn’t be tolerated, but loss of the captaincy and 3 test match suspension would have hammered home that point IMO... and CA could have made clear any future instances would be even more harshly penalised.

I just think it’s too tough a precedent to set for something that has probably become a bit of an institutionalised part of the game...

I certainly don’t like the thought of other teams tampering against us because they know their boards won’t be anywhere near as harsh if they do get caught. I hope at least the ICc adopts a stronger stance as a result of this mess.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah 12 months suspension is just way over the top, don't get me wrong they deserve to be suspended for what they did but geez 12 months! The ICC suspends smith for a maximum of 5 days, CA give him 365.
Yeah.. Gees he was shattered..Bancroft too..just a stupid mistake..an error in judgment.. The mental battle will be their toughest test..

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I disagree... and I think if they did challenge things in court, the court would disagree too. There’s just no precedent for this and it will very possibly ruin three careers..

Smith looked absolutely broken and the sanction is just totally disproportionate to the laws and guidelines of the game.

I font think they will challenge and font know they should, it would only generate more ill will.... but I don’t agree with the penalty at all. If the ICC had established that stance itself or even if CA had been transparent in its stance and made its policy and prospective penalties for tampering before the fact I’d say fair’s fair.... but I don’t believe in this sort of retrospective “justice” ... not when you’re talking decisions which can impact careers and lives like this.

But if anyone’s going to challenge the decision, I guess it would be Warner. Will be interesting to see what he says when he does talk.

It shouldn’t be tolerated, but loss of the captaincy and 3 test match suspension would have hammered home that point IMO... and CA could have made clear any future instances would be even more harshly penalised.

I just think it’s too tough a precedent to set for something that has probably become a bit of an institutionalised part of the game...

I certainly don’t like the thought of other teams tampering against us because they know their boards won’t be anywhere near as harsh if they do get caught. I hope at least the ICc adopts a stronger stance as a result of this mess.
Personally i would have even been satisfied if CA suspended them until the end of the coming IPL season, that way they loose a shit load of cash from that, they have obviously lost all that sponsorship, their reputations are in tatters, i think that is a decent deterrent for any future player thinking of doing something dodgy like that again.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Smith did say earlier in a previous article that he did not think that any punishment would be harsher than in the past, I suppose thinking that if they were caught punishment would not be any worse; maybe that is the problem. The thought that as another has been punished in a certain way so shall he.

That I guess is in relation to things being a precedent; harsher punishment perhaps should have been called for in the past then the flawed thought of a less serious punishment than the one handed out would have been eliminated.Lessons ,may have been properly learned.

He was right in saying that he hoped others would take all of this on board and think twice before considering any future misdemeanors in the way of tampering with the ball. Let's hope they do.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Personally i would have even been satisfied if CA suspended them until the end of the coming IPL season, that way they loose a shit load of cash from that, they have obviously lost all that sponsorship, their reputations are in tatters, i think that is a decent deterrent for any future player thinking of doing something dodgy like that again.
I don’t think CA could ban them from playing ipl.... it’s outside CA’s jurisdiction. I am pretty sure it was the Indian boards that made that call.... but I do think 12 months is just too harsh considering precedents that have been set. 6 months, maybe... but 12? I just don’t think that’s right.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Smith did say earlier in a previous article that he did not think that any punishment would be harsher than in the past, I suppose thinking that if they were caught punishment would not be any worse; maybe that is the problem. The thought that as another has been punished in a certain way so shall he.

That I guess is in relation to things being a precedent; harsher punishment perhaps should have been called for in the past then the flawed thought of a less serious punishment than the one handed out would have been eliminated.Lessons ,may have been properly learned.

He was right in saying that he hoped others would take all of this on board and think twice before considering any future misdemeanors in the way of tampering with the ball. Let's hope they do.
Smith kind of had to take his medicine.... if he said anything along the lines of thinking it was unfair CA could always punish him further... even draw a line through his name like reports suggest has been done to Warner’s. I don’t think an appeal would do him any good for the same reason...

Having said all that, he seemed very sincere to me... he does seem genuine in taking responsibility...but I’m pretty damn convinced there was no premeditation in his case and I just don’t agree with such a hardline stance with no prior precedent.

I think he’s more than learned his lesson... and I really believe such harsh penalties shouldn’t be made retrospectively with no punishment...

I understand you think it was important to set an example....that’s your view and I respect that... but I think they’ve gone a bit too far and I also don’t think he was mentally fit to front that presser. Maybe he had to do it to show people how much he is hurting... to garner a little goodwill...bit personally, I think he’s been punished enough and strong governance from the icc is really what is needed going forward.

Maybe I could have loved with it if CA had just stated they would not be picked for the duration of their bans and allowed them to play first class cricket... but I think a blanket suspension across all professional formats in Australia was a bit over the top.

In any case, I don’t think any of them will play on the next 12 months...even though Bancroft will be eligible before then, he was far from established and womtvwsltz back in.

Anyway, it’s done now. Unless warner appeals and even then he won’t play. I just hope the media and public will cool off a bit now.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think CA could ban them from playing ipl.... it’s outside CA’s jurisdiction. I am pretty sure it was the Indian boards that made that call.... but I do think 12 months is just too harsh considering precedents that have been set. 6 months, maybe... but 12? I just don’t think that’s right.
yeah the IPL acknowledges all bans from the official countries, i don't know the exact specifics of it but there was a WI player (or was it players??) that was suspended by the WI and the IPL ruled them out too. I guess it is the IPL trying to be more legit or official (however ya want to word it :grinning: )

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yeah the IPL acknowledges all bans from the official countries, i don't know the exact specifics of it but there was a WI player (or was it players??) that was suspended by the WI and the IPL ruled them out too. I guess it is the IPL trying to be more legit or official (however ya want to word it :grinning: )
Yes the Indians would never condone cheating

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Haha bah it’s just a shits and giggles money spinner...albeit a juggernaut....delusions of grandeur in terms of legitimacy... it’s only T20 :p

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yes the Indians would never condone cheating
Of course not, they’d deny it! Haha

Australia doesn’t have a culture problem, it has a denial problem.... ie, Bancroft could have said it was a medicinal thing to avoid groinal skin flaking!

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha bah it’s just a shits and giggles money spinner...albeit a juggernaut....delusions of grandeur in terms of legitimacy... it’s only T20 :p
haha yeah i agree, i have never even watched an entire game of the ipl yet :grinning: , i don't mind the bigbash but have no interest in the ipl ... I only brought it up because it is a known money spinner for the players so a good punishment for them to miss out on the quick $$