The Consolidated Cricket Thread

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
yeah i agree, we did exceed my expectations last time in india, without doubt the hardest place to win away from home. I think we have a good chance next time in England, they have an ageing bowling lineup and from the reserve players on this tour they don't seem to have anything special at all coming through the ranks.
Yeah... they are a different proposition on home soil though. Their “quicks” will be more dangerous in home conditions and will have the ball moving a bit.

Should be a really good series.... if we prepare well I think we have a fair chance.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We shoukd look at playing a warm up match or two at Bellerive with the duke in the lead up I think. Closest we will get to approximating English conditions.

That warm up game in the NT seemed to help with our prep for India. We did a lot better over there than I expected. I give us a fair chance if we prepare properly tbh. Although it’s a year and a half away, so way too early to call really.
I think this is a bigger issue than drop in pitches ATM.

Due to the crowded international and T20 schedule warm up games are very limited. Once upon a time, an overseas tour involved playing more warm up games and practice matches than the real thing. An Ashes tour would last months.

Look at Bangledesh. We just rocked up a couple of days before the first test and got dacked. Holding your ashes warm up camp in Hobart in May isn't such a crazy idea!

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Due to the crowded international and T20 schedule warm up games are very limited. Once upon a time, an overseas tour involved playing more warm up games and practice matches than the real thing. An Ashes tour would last months.

Look at Bangledesh. We just rocked up a couple of days before the first test and got dacked. Holding your ashes warm up camp in Hobart in May isn't such a crazy idea!
There also seems to be fewer players going over to play county cricket these days, it's understandable with all the T20 leagues etc going on and just the sheer amount of cricket they play these days. There is no better way to learn to play in english conditions than to actually play over there :grinning:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Yeah the amount of prep that goes into these tours has really diminished over the years and it does show in team's difficulties in foreign conditions.....that NT game really helped us in our prep for India I think, so I think a similar idea in Hobart leading up to the ashes may be an idea we run with again. If we don't I think it's a mistake.

But ideally, teams would go on longer tours and play first class cricket overseas like they used to. Unfortunately not really possible due to the profitability and popularity of T20.

We should prepare as well as possible though. Especially for big tours like India and England.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There also seems to be fewer players going over to play county cricket these days, it's understandable with all the T20 leagues etc going on and just the sheer amount of cricket they play these days. There is no better way to learn to play in english conditions than to actually play over there :grinning:
I recall the commentators either on Ch9 or MMM talking about this, and one of the them noted that Mitch Marsh was going to snub some T20 opportunities to pay county cricket this coming winter (English summer) in order to enhance his ashes selection.

I think the "baggy green" is still the top prize for most Aussie kids, whereas for, say West Indians, who never really represent their own countries at International level anyway, test cricket does't have the same pull (plus the pay difference is bigger for them).

But overall, whilst T20 may have had soem benefits to the game of cricket (interest from ythe next generation, money), there are also downsides to it.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I recall the commentators either on Ch9 or MMM talking about this, and one of the them noted that Mitch Marsh was going to snub some T20 opportunities to pay county cricket this coming winter (English summer) in order to enhance his ashes selection.

I think the "baggy green" is still the top prize for most Aussie kids, whereas for, say West Indians, who never really represent their own countries at International level anyway, test cricket does't have the same pull (plus the pay difference is bigger for them).

But overall, whilst T20 may have had soem benefits to the game of cricket (interest from ythe next generation, money), there are also downsides to it.
Yeah it's a real shame what has happened over in the WI, they could have a pretty competitive test team if they all actually played. They have some wonderfully talented cricketers over there.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah it's a real shame what has happened over in the WI, they could have a pretty competitive test team if they all actually played. They have some wonderfully talented cricketers over there.
I think if playing for Antigua, Trinidad etc was the ultimate international goal, they would be more interested, but it would be hard to have pride in a conglomerate of a dozen or so nations. From my brief stint working over there years ago, whilst cricket was very popular, nobody really saw themselves as "West Indian" as such.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If anyone here watches the BBL, what a game from D'Arcy short. 122 runs and than 1/20 from his 4 overs, impressive.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What a ridiculous rule that was to get Ross out

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What a ridiculous rule that was to get Ross out
I don't have a huge problem with it tbh, it is in the rules you can't change your line and he clearly watched the throw and than changed his line.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't have a huge problem with it tbh, it is in the rules you can't change your line and he clearly watched the throw and than changed his line.
It was so he didn't get hit by it and also it shouldn't be arule.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It was so he didn't get hit by it and also it shouldn't be arule.
I can understand why they have that rule, i do agree it is dubious to know if he purposefully changed his line to get out of the way or if it was to block the throw but it is a rule and he clearly changed his line when he saw the throw coming in. Anyways what an entertaining match, that was good stuff.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I can understand why they have that rule, i do agree it is dubious to know if he purposefully changed his line to get out of the way or if it was to block the throw but it is a rule and he clearly changed his line when he saw the throw coming in. Anyways what an entertaining match, that was good stuff.
Mark Waugh agrees with me :P

Heat stuffed up that last over with their runs

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mark Waugh agrees with me :P

Heat stuffed up that last over with their runs
Yeah i thought christian blew it with those two run outs but credit to him he bowled in the right spots. Was a fun game to watch nonetheless.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He changed his line for sure.

His intentions for doing do are of course subject to debate.

I would have given him the benefit of the doubt, but he should have just put his head down and kept his line and let the fielding side worry about their job - yes, easier said than done when somebody is throwing a ball in your direction.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I need supercoach replacements for Travis Head, Aaron Finch and David Willey..

I’m turd this year, who’s the best T20 option?

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If D'Arcy Short doesn't replace Chris Lynn in the aussie ODI side i would be getting him in my team, he is kicking ass (disclaimer: never played bbl supercoach).