The Consolidated Cricket Thread

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
**** u dont hear much about shane bond but his stats in test n ODI matches are phenominal, i think hes got 70 odd test wicket at about 20 and about 90 ODI wickets at 18. fantastic bowler, he would no doubt have been in the top 2 or 3 fast bowlers around consistently if his career hadnt have been plagued so much by injuries. tho good to see him back in action.

oh and rofl at west indies they are currently 9 for 80 against sri lanka, sri lankan fast bowler maharoof doin the damage with 6 fa 14 so far.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Bond had extreme pace in his heyday. But when you bowl like he does it takes it's toll on the body. brett lee was saved just in time and the coaches have fixed his action. Sure he has lost some pace but he will be around for a lot longer. Bond is paying the price which is a shame. Bloody quick bowler!!!

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
You don't hear much about Bond because he's always injured.

His figures are tops, he just needs to be on the field more.

sonnyfaifan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
bond averages like 10 in odi bowling as well against australia.

even worse news for him looks like its another stress fracture.

nz beat south africa
and
aussie got beaten by west indies (who scored 80 against sri lanka the other day)

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
West Indies Innings

Hinds c Ponting b Bracken 1 (15)
Gayle c Gilchrist b Watson 24 (26)
Smith c Hogg b Lee 8 (13)
Sarwan lbw b Clarke 21 (32)
Morton not out 90 (103)
Lara c Symonds b McGrath 71 (94)
Baugh c Ponting b Bracken 13 (17)
Samuels not out 1 (1)
Extras: 5 (lb 1, w 3, nb 1)
Total: 234 (6 wickets; 50 overs)

FoW: 1-10, 2-25, 3-47, 4-63, 5-200, 6-233

Bowling:
Lee 8 - 0 - 45 - 1 (1nb 2w)
Bracken 10 - 1 - 42 - 2
McGrath 8 - 0 - 42 - 1
Watson 8 - 0 - 34 - 1
Clarke 5 - 0 - 18 - 1
Symonds 8 - 0 - 35 - 0
Hogg 3 - 0 - 17 - 0 (1w)

Australia Innings

Gilchrist run out (Gayle) 92 (120)
Watson c Sarwan b Bradshaw 0 (3)
Ponting b Taylor 1 (5)
Martyn c Bravo b Bradshaw 17 (24)
Symonds b Gayle 18 (30)
Clarke c&b Bravo 47 (85)
Hussey b Taylor 13 (16)
Hogg b Taylor 10 (11)
Lee lbw b Taylor 0 (1)
Bracken not out 3 (5)
McGrath not out 3 (3)
Extras: 20 (lb 8, w 9, nb 3)
Total: 224 (9 wickets; 50 overs)

FoW: 1-12, 2-17, 3-44, 4-81, 5-182, 6-206, 7-214, 8-214, 9-219

Bowling:
Bradshaw 10 - 0 - 38 - 2 (3nb 3w)
Taylor 10 - 0 - 49 - 4 (1w)
Smith 3 - 0 - 16 - 0
Samuels 10 - 1 - 36 - 0 (2w)
Gayle 10 - 0 - 39 - 1 (1w)
Bravo 6 - 0 - 33 - 1 (1w)
Sarwan 1 - 0 - 5 - 0 (1w)

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Only 10 runs in it, id rather lose by 100

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
man the aussies are crap in theis minni world cup champions trophy tournament. they dont take it seriously enuf, & they crumbled under pressure from the windies yest, after they were in a formidibble position

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
man, they gotta open with hayden & gilchrist or promote martyn or clarke up the order, to play as a mark waugh type one day opener, where they can go steady & let gilchrist blast the bowlers in the first 10 or 15 overs

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
If it was a World cup game they would have made it home with an over to spare and 3 wickets in hand. Just lazy batting. But this comp is crap anyway.

Premiers04

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant believe the aussies lost that game, I didnt get to watch any of it because of damn fox sports 3, but the experiment of Watson opening has failed on the big stage.

IMO Katich didnt do anything wrong to start with, but I think Martyn or Clarke deserve a shot to open alongside Gilchrist. I loved the days of watching Gilchrist & M. Waugh opened the batting.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
watsons first real poor innings at the top, coming off 80 off 70 odd balls against india in malaysia, and a 70 against a local indian team. shouldnt really be criticised to heavily because of his innings last night.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
somthing about this tourtament, we never seem to go good in it

i still can not believe jacques is not in the squad, he could do so much with a decent oppertunirty, got another centery against the redbacks in the 1st inning and followed it up with a 70 odd in the 2nd. he is a world top 10 batsman atm but we leave him out, out of a current batting line up i only have symonds, ponting, gilchrist (WC) and hussey but players like clarke, martyn and watson get a shot, i don't mind them as players but jacques is better

and watson is not a opener ffs, if you gonna play him, play him down the order

mcgraths days are numbered, still looked a bit rusty, he may be past it :(

but lee and bracken are there and either tait, johnson or clark for first change in the future, i think tait, he was very good for the redbacks

still full credit to the windies, with out shiv they played great

we should be able to beat england tomorrow

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
watsons first real poor innings at the top, coming off 80 off 70 odd balls against india in malaysia, and a 70 against a local indian team. shouldnt really be criticised to heavily because of his innings last night.
i understand that, but he played one good game at the top and everyone was saying he should be our opener, blah, blah

he is a middle-lower order batsman

B

Ben Godberts

jaques is a gun one of the best batters i haveever seen.
watson is a average state player tbh

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
jaques is a gun one of the best batters i haveever seen.
watson is a average state player tbh
jaques is a top player your right, watson averages 50 with the bat at state level and 30 odd with the ball, pretty handy lol - bit above average.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Match6 ICC Champions Trophy Preview - Australia Vs. England

Crisis tends to bring out the best in us - Ponting

The Preview by Dileep Premachandran in Jaipur

October 20, 2006

Ponting: 'England's one-day form hasn't been that good since we played them last year. They haven't played as well as they would have liked' © Getty Images

Even as Ricky Ponting looked ahead to Australia's winner-takes-all encounter against England on Saturday at the Sawai Man Singh Stadium, he was emphatic in his assessment that the result wouldn't have any sort of bearing on the upcoming Ashes series. For the moment, Australia's focus is very much on the Champions Trophy, the only major event where they haven't even made the final.

"Both teams probably are," he said with a wry smile, when asked if his side was champing at the bit to take on England again. "It doesn't feel like that long ago [the last Ashes series]. There's been a lot made of this, and how teams might take something away from it for the Ashes. I'm not a big believer in that. There's a lot of change-over when it comes to the players in the Test side and the one-day one."

Defeat in Mumbai to a resurgent West Indies side was certainly a jolt, and Australia may well be tempted into a change on a surface where India and England struggled to aggregate 250 runs over two innings. The pitch appeared extremely dry and the cracks on the surface could be seen even from the press box, nearly 100 yards away.

Brad Hogg bowled only three overs in Mumbai, while Michael Clarke and Andrew Symonds combined for 17, and may well be left out to accommodate the pace and swing option offered by Mitchell Johnson. Johnson made a big impression in bowler-friendly conditions in Malaysia, but is very much an unknown quantity on these type of pitches. He missed practice today because of a stomach bug but is expected to be fit tomorrow.

If Australia do leave Hogg out, it could also be due to some concern over the dew factor that so negated Sri Lanka's slow bowlers in the game against Pakistan. "The dew's been unpredictable, both here and in Mumbai," he said. "It certainly didn't get very wet the other night in Mumbai. I think everyone there will bat first, while maybe bowling first at the other venues. Whatever you end up doing first, you just have to do it very well."

The batting too has been below par since the start of the season, heavily reliant on individual brilliance to offset unaccustomed wobbles at the top of the order. Shane Watson failed as opener in Mumbai, but will surely get a chance to redeem himself here, and for the likes of Damien Martyn, the doors of Last Chance Saloon will swing shut if the run-drought extends into the next fortnight.

"To be fair, some of the pitches we've played on haven't been great," said Ponting, when asked about the lack of dominant performances with the bat. "But yeah, the bowlers have been very good and it's about time the batters put some runs on the board." The downward spiral continued in Mumbai, where Jerome Taylor's hat-trick sent them tumbling to a 10-run defeat. "Whenever you lose, you break things down and analyse what went wrong," said Ponting. "We made crucial mistakes at bad times - lost wickets up front, and then one run-out really set us back when we seemed in control of the situation. You can't afford to make those in low-scoring games."

Australia, though, tend to be at their best in crisis. Ponting referred pointedly to the 1999 World Cup, where Australia lost their opening two league matches before winning everything in sight and also to the VB Series last year, where they lost the first final to Sri Lanka before storming back. "It tends to bring out the best in us," he said, "when we're under the pump."

With many of the questions centred on pre-Ashes sparring matches, Ponting laughed off suggestions that the team would be targetting any specific individuals on Saturday. "It's the bowlers who come out and say that, most Glenn [McGrath] and Shane [Warne]," he said with a laugh. "I think they like putting themselves under pressure. I think it was Strauss that Glenn spoke about before the last series. Maybe it'll be him again tomorrow."

The one-day matches between the two team during the NatWest Series and the NatWest Challenge last year were too close to call, but Ponting suggested that England had stagnated as a one-day team since. "Their one-day form hasn't been that good since we played them last year," he said. "They haven't played as well as they would have liked."

Ponting refused to make too much of the increased pollution that's sure to be a factor during the game after tens of thousands of fireworks and crackers have been set off as part of the Diwali festivities. "I sent the boys out this morning to buy some gas-masks," he said, tongue firmly in cheek. "We know there'll be a bit of haze, a bit of smoke, but we just hope we can see the ball."

The scheduling sees Australia facing an eight-day break between this match and the game against India in Mohali, but according to Ponting, it was the hosts that were worst affected. "What can you do about it?" he said when asked what he thought of the long gap. "I think India have got the worst of it - 11 days without a game is almost unheard of in a one-day tournament."

Having faltered at the finish against West Indies, Australia will undoubtedly go hard at the English. Despite protestations to the contrary, a few Ashes-related blows will certainly be aimed. The new-ball bowlers will target Andrew Strauss and Andrew Flintoff - "If we get him out, it leaves them a bit thin when it comes to power-hitting lower down the order," said Ponting, when asked about Flintoff's decision to bat at No.3 - and Steve Harmison's dreadful first over against India will no doubt encourage Adam Gilchrist and Watson.

"This is our second game of the Champions Trophy," said Ponting, brushing off suggestions that this was a prelude to the real thing. "I don't see a lot coming out of it as far as the Ashes is concerned. Once we get back home, we'll start thinking about that." Having lost their opening games, both teams will be hoping that they don't get home too early.

Australia (likely): 1 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 2 Shane Watson, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Damien Martyn, 5 Andrew Symonds, 6 Michael Clarke, 7 Michael Hussey, 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Glenn McGrath.

Dileep Premachandran is features editor of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

good to see mitchell johnson and watson get another crack.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Arg Murli..totally tore us apart!!

I knew as soon as Dan Vettori hit his first ball he would play well..:love: