The Consolidated Boxing Thread

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Middleweight Champ Pavlik To Fight Lockett In First Title Defense

For the past few weeks, four names were on Top Rank promoter Bob Arum's short list as potential opponents to face middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik in his first defense this summer: Marco Antonio Rubio, Gary Lockett, Giovanni Lorenzo and Randy Griffin.

The decision has been made. Gary Lockett -- come on down!

Pavlik will defend his 160-pound title against Lockett, a mandatory challenger from Wales, in June on HBO, Arum told ESPN.com.

June 7 is the probable date, but Arum said it could switch to June 14 if HBO's schedule can't accommodate a live tripleheader.

The site, Arum said, will be either New York's Madison Square Garden or Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., the arena where Pavlik knocked out Jermain Taylor in the seventh round last September in a dramatic fight to win the title.

"The deal is made for Lockett," Arum said. "We're going to decide on the site, the Garden or Atlantic City, this week but we have to sift through the offers. But it will probably be Atlantic City. But everything with the fight has been agreed to. [Lockett promoter Frank Warren] has the papers. It's not fully executed, but it's verbally agreed to."

Arum said he also concluded a deal Monday with Golden Boy Promotions' Richard Schaefer to match Top Rank junior featherweight contender Juan Manuel Lopez (21-0, 19 KOs) of Puerto Rico against Golden Boy-promoted junior featherweight titleholder Daniel Ponce De Leon of Mexico in the Pavlik-Lockett co-feature.

Ponce De Leon (34-1, 30 KOs) had been considering a unification fight with Celestino Caballero, who handed him his only defeat, but elected to go with the Lopez fight instead.

If HBO can accommodate a tripleheader, Arum said he said he would put newly signed rising middleweight Andy Lee (15-0, 12 KOs) in the opening bout against Rubio (41-4-1, 36 KOs). Lee would have to get past Brian Vera on March 21 on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" to make the fight possible.

Pavlik (33-0, 29 KOs) was originally slated to make his June defense against John Duddy, but Duddy suffered multiple deep cuts in a shaky majority decision win Feb. 23, forcing Arum to look for another opponent.

Arum said of the opponents on his short list, HBO liked Lockett, "so I called Frank and I made the deal."

One of the intriguing elements of a Pavlik-Lockett fight is that Lockett is trained by Enzo Calzaghe, the father and trainer of super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe.

"It's a good story with Enzo in Lockett's corner," Arum said. "It sets Kelly up maybe to eventually fight Joe Calzaghe. Joe will probably be around the fight and maybe we can get something going with him. Besides, Lockett is a mandatory, so Kelly would have to fight him at some point anyway."

Said Cameron Dunkin, Pavlik's manager: "I like the Enzo Calzaghe angle and from the tapes I have seen, Lockett is a tough guy and it's our mandatory. I think it's a heck of a fight. I think he's well schooled and I think he can be a pretty tough opponent."

If Pavlik defeats Lockett, Arum would like Pavlik to fight two more times in 2008. Griffin may get the shot at Pavlik in the fall in Pavlik's native Ohio. A healed Duddy could challenge Pavlik in December.

Lockett (30-1, 21 KOs), nicknamed "Rocket Man," has won 14 consecutive fights since suffering his only defeat, a split decision to journeyman Yuri Tsarenko in April 2002 in Cardiff. Lockett avenged the loss a year later.

Eighteen of Lockett's 21 knockouts have come inside three rounds. However, the 31-year-old has never faced a name opponent. Aside from one bout in Italy in 2005, all of his fights have been in the United Kingdom.

Before the Feb. 16 rematch between Pavlik and Taylor, Lockett predicted that Pavlik would prevail and expressed interest in fighting him.

"It's hard to pick a winner, but I reckon Pavlik will do it again," Lockett said at the time. "Whatever happens, I'd love to meet whoever comes through. I train in a gym full of world champions, and I'd love to get a shot at the big time and establish myself as a world star like [super middleweight champion] Joe Calzaghe, [former cruiserweight titlist] Enzo Maccarinelli and [junior welterweight beltholder] Gavin Rees."

Pavlik, 25, defeated Taylor in a Feb. 16 rematch, but the title was not at stake because they fought at an agreed-upon catch weight, which was Taylor's right based on language in his rematch clause.

D

DoggyStylz

Danny Green set to retire..........

waiting for announcement today

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Mundine on Green for a light heavyweight position would be no contest. Choc would get clobbered.

Duke missed out on 5-7 million by not fighting Roy Jones Jr and now Choc is gonna run his mouth over it.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
bout time Green retired. Long overdue..tbh he knew he didnt have a chance of being a dominant boxer so its a wise move

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Green Machine hangs up the gloves

The Green Machine hangs up the gloves

WORLD champion Danny Green will shock the boxing world today when he announces his immediate retirement.

Sources close to Green say the 35-year-old made his decision in the early hours of Easter Sunday morning. He was in Sydney preparing for his April 27 mandatory challenge against Argentina's Hugo Garay, which will now not take place. It is believed Green, who took the title from Croatian Stipe Drews on December 16, has decided to retire while at the top of his game - a feat few fighters before him have managed.

Green, who has for the better part of 16 years been a walk-up fighter, is also believed to be concerned about the impact the sport could have on him in the future. His second child, Archie, was born six days after Green fulfilled his lifetime ambition to win the world title in front of his home crowd.

Green left Sydney for Perth yesterday to be with his tight-knit family before the announcement. The Herald understands the world champion's family and close friends unanimously support his decision. The Sydney Olympian was linked to a number of fights, including a bout with American superstar Roy Jones jnr and a much-hyped rematch with arch rival Anthony Mundine. His German nemesis, Markus Beyer, has returned from retirement and was considered a potential future opponent. Green's decision will cost him millions of dollars from both fight purses and sponsorships, but the fighter is willing to sacrifice that to ensure he and his family - wife Nina, daughter Chloe and Archie - enjoy a healthy future.

Green is understood to be in top physical shape and has no health issues. He is regarded as an articulate athlete who expresses himself well and is guaranteed a future as a television fight commentator.

In Green's final sparring session in Sydney last week, he looked very sharp, throwing an array of new punches that suggested he was ready to take another step up in class. Ultimately, he has decided his future welfare is more important for the sake of his wife and children than further glory.

Green's career was highlighted by his World Boxing Association light-heavyweight title victory and his successful WBC interim super-middleweight campaign against tough Canadian Eric Lucas in 2003. Earlier that year he was controversially disqualified for head-butting Beyer.

In 2004, he almost died in the ring when he suffered heat stroke during his points victory over gritty New Zealander Sean Sullivan. The fact Green overcame what he described as "mental hell" perhaps best summed up his trademark courage and heart.

After his loss to Mundine in 2006, Green was nominated for a bravery award when he risked his life in dangerous surf off the West Australian coast to rescue a drowning man. He has also been praised for his commitment to charities, especially those that care for children.

Green's mantra is all that counts is how hard a person tries. That given, the world champion can hang his gloves up today knowing he gave all he could

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Shame about Katsidis getting KO'd

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
green would've decked his balls.
Mundine on Green for a light heavyweight position would be no contest. Choc would get clobbered.

Duke missed out on 5-7 million by not fighting Roy Jones Jr and now Choc is gonna run his mouth over it.

What are you guys on about?

They both fought each other and Mundine proved he was a better boxer

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Herald understands the world champion's family and close friends unanimously support his decision

LOL, lucky it wasnt a split decision

K

Koups

Shame about Katsidis getting KO'd
He had the fight in the bag and then got cocky!!!!!!!!!!! No doubt he will be back bigger and better after that lesson, he will be champ again with in a year

80fic...

JOE CALZAGHE is a great fighter but Mundine has the tools to match him no doubt.
Danny Green would have no chance so there goes your Silly argument about Green being better than Mundine. Howwwwwwwwwwwwwwww?
When did I say Green was better, I pointed out that he is a REAL world champion, because he actually beat a world champion.

lol at fagdine even coming close to calzaghe, that's why he won't fight because he will get flogged.

CALZAGHE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fagdine

HTH

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Read something the other day about Zab Judahs (spaghetti legs, chicken dance) next fight. He was puttin money on himself or something.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Green's best division is light heavy weight. It was hard for him to shed 3-4 kgs and go super middle. But Choc can easily go up to light heavy and imo Green would win.

But anyway, Mundine isn't a real world champ, he holds the titles when Calzaghe and previously Kessler held unified titles....therefore he's a fraud for bragging about being #1 and world champ and running his mouth because it's by default.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
So Jeff Fenech at 44 yrs old and Azuma Nelson at 49 will be having a fight in june.

Will they last more than 4 rounds. lol

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Tszyu Contemplates Comeback

April 17, 2008 FORMER boxing world champion Kostya Tszyu admits there is a real possibility he will return to the ring and resume his career, if the price is right.

Tszyu lost his last fight to Englishman Ricky Hatton and has received offers from Russia to continue his career.

"I'm realistically saying it's still a big chance but it would need to be huge motivation," Tszyu said in Sydney.

"I would never fight for money but it would need to be a big number.

"Some Russians offered me ridiculous money, bigger than I've ever had, but not anything concrete," he said.

AAP