The Bulldogs rip the Dragons a new Red V at Kogarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The Bulldogs rip the Dragons a new Red V at Kogarah: Round 24 match report
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have put the cleaners through the atrocious St George-Illawarra Dragons to the tune of 38-0 at Kogarah.

If there is anything more satisfying for a Bulldogs fan than beating up on the Dragons, I’m not sure what it is. With four wins from their last five, Canterbury have turned the corner and took the supposedly proud Red V by the scruff of the neck and exposed its meekness and lack or fortitude, on a cold and wet Sunday afternoon.

The decisions made by the new Board, Administration and Coach have proven to be master strokes, with recent form worthy of a much higher position on the ladder. The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs didn’t need some of the baggage it invested in towards the end of the Des Hasler (Voldemort) reign. What the club required was a return to the fundamentals that made it great in the first place.

Faith in youthful enthusiasm and the unearthing of unheralded talent; see Lachlan Lewis, Reimis Smith and Rhyse Martin, sits far more comfortably with me than money wasted on overrated players that don’t buy into the culture and understand what the club really stands for.

Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb tried to explain it to Hasler and the previous Board, but it was all to no avail. Now, with club legend Dean Pay at the helm and a board of Directors with the heart and soul of the place in their veins, things look so much brighter.

2019 looms with such excitement and potential success, most Bulldogs fans will be irritable for it to start.

In reality, this match looked done and dusted by half time after tries to Josh Morris and an explosive double to Reimis Smith had set up an 18-0 lead by the break.

When Smith and Brett Morris also crossed for second half tries by the 75th minute, the Dragons fate was sealed. It was a shameful sight to see the crowd pouring from the stadium, knowing that they, somehow, are still involved in the semi final picture. It was a selfish and immature display from the Dragons’ fans considering there will be eight clubs taking off season trips very soon.

A late and controversial try to Ofahiki Ogden stretched the lead to 38-0 and the sound of the Red V’s boos as the final siren sounded were music to the ears of a proud and resilient blue and white supporter base.

After a season that looked disastrous early on, some crucial yet tough decisions were made by the club and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are back. It is a turning point for the club after three years of pain, infighting and anguish.

I am as proud as punch as I type these words and make no apologies for it. Bring on 2019 and thank you Lynne Anderson, Dean Pay and the entire team who have managed to rejuvenate the club.

Oh……and thanks to Lachlan Lewis as well, he’s pretty good too!

There will be changes next season and the Morris boys have served us well. However, it is time to push forward with new vigour and give our club every chance to hold that trophy aloft in the near future.

Thanks so much for reading my reports throughout the year, there is just one week to go. Let’s hope the team have one more win in them, when they clash with the Sharks next Sunday at ANZ Stadium.

As usual, feel free to add your comments in the space below and join in the Bulldog conversation.

Final Score

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 38 St George-Illawarra Dragons 0
https://www.stuartthomas.com.au/the...a-new-red-v-at-kogarah-round-24-match-report/

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Graham's head must be spinning. He signed for the Dragons thinking they were building for a premiership tilt. All of a sudden the players are dropping like flies around him.

Dufty along with Hunt have lost all confidence. Widdop gone. Their spine is cooked, so even if their forward pack rips in it will be tough.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
3 posts of this lol!??

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love it! Morris boys are a big loss but the correct call. Watch for Harper and Okunbor to do what Smith and Holland have done this year. Future is shining bright!!

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, as good as the Morris boys have been, it was the right call IMO to let them go now, rather than hold onto them another year or 2, as they get older slower,and recovery takes longer each week.
Wish them all the best, sad we couldn’t get Josh a GF win

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that superb combo of holland and smith is what will get the crowd on its feet again

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You just can't write articles like that about the Bulldogs Stuart. It was accurate and not biased strongly against us with no pretext. Please rewirite tha with the heading, dogs being investigated for performance enhancing drugs after late season resurgance. No fact needed just sensationalism with a lot of "sources have informed us that several Bulldogs players have been seen in the same suburb as a peptide dealer" that sort of thing will get you recognised as a proper journalist. Articles like this will only earn you the respect of thousands of Bulldogs fans mate.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spamming the thread here, but isn't it brilliant to see the dogs show the killer instinct. Not so long ago we'd have bunkered down to defend the game out after the two initial tries.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Morris boys are a big loss. Would be more excited about 2019 if we had kept those 2 and pissed off Lichaa & Foran
I couldnt agree more... whildt our tight is starting to look good (smith, holland), we will miss the class, maturity, strength and cohesion of the morris boys... i suspect our defence will weaken to the tune of 2 or 3 tries a game... i understand they are 32, but i am not sure what we replace them with will serve us better...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Graham's head must be spinning. He signed for the Dragons thinking they were building for a premiership tilt. All of a sudden the players are dropping like flies around him.

Dufty along with Hunt have lost all confidence. Widdop gone. Their spine is cooked, so even if their forward pack rips in it will be tough.
I feel a little sorry for graham. He deserves a premiership. Watching him still chasing hard on the last try reminds me that he has been the ultimate competitor in everything he does.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking back at our last month of footy, the teams in the top 8 must be thanking their lucky stars that the Dogs will be in holiday mode instead of competing in the Finals.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it! Morris boys are a big loss but the correct call. Watch for Harper and Okunbor to do what Smith and Holland have done this year. Future is shining bright!!
As good as the Morris bros are going, let the current rejuvenation of our younger players be good enough reason why letting them and others go is every bit the correct decision.

We have some decent signings for next year which will add to the rejuvenation of this team that no longer consists of arrogant ego's.

Status
Not open for further replies.