News The Bulldogs have a huge problem on their hands with fears star recruit Luke Thompson could cut his NRL stint short.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This explains a lot. When you're not happy off the field, it affects your form on the field - it happens to all players.

Living alone, while being in the bubble, has to mess with your head - regardless of how much you earn. Surely there are other players living together - probably younger single guys - cant he just move in with them? I'm sure next year when his girlfriend gets here, Baz is in charge and we have a settled club, he'll finally be happy off the field and we'll see a huge improvement in form

Now onto the article itself.....it mentioned the Gold Coast were eying Thompson. Surely that has to be BS. After signing Fifita for $1.4M, having Taylor on $1M a year plus signing the gun storm forward, surely these c**** cant be interested in Thompson, while also reportedly being interested in C.Smith or B.Smith. Does having Meninga on the coaching staff mean these pricks have no cap?

If Thommo did want to head back home I would be OK with that too
No mate The Dogs are Just completely useless at recruitment and spending the cap wisely, straight up.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering his poor form, the best scenario would be to let him return home for a few months at least. He can then reassess the situation and if he doesn't want to come back to play in Australia so be it.
If he want's to come back he will be more committed, if not the best for all is for him not to return. The money he is on makes him a BIG BIG risk and it could be used on a real prop or the spine. YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THIS SERIOUSLY DAVID.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
St Helens coach Kristian Woolf on reports linking Luke Thompson with a Super League return

St Helens coach Kristian Woolf said the door is open for Luke Thompson to return to the club at any time, but does not believe he will be returning to the UK in the near future.

Reports in Australia on Wednesday claimed the England forward is homesick and could be contemplating a return to the UK, just over a month since departing to start his NRL career.

Woolf was asked whether he would want Thompson back should the opportunity materialise and while he said he’d be happy for him to return, he was of the belief Thompson would be remaining down under.

“The door is always open for Luke, there are no dramas there at all,” he said.

“He’s been at this club since he was 11 years old and has got a really long history with the club so there are no dramas there at all.

“The thing I want to be quoted on there is that I read that story this morning like everyone else, I hadn’t heard anything about it prior to it being in the media this morning and it was a complete surprise to me.

“Luke is a very good player and I’d certainly back him to get through a tough spot in Australia and show what he’s capable of over there. But I’d be very surprised if anything started to happen there where the Bulldogs would consider letting him go or Luke was considering coming back to the UK.

“So while the door is always open there, I’d be very surprised if it did happen, that’s for sure.”

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Part of me wants to believe that it was a smokescreen (as I tried to believe at the time) but I'm just not sure. Don't forget we also had to pay a release fee which was more wasted money and he's added very little this year.

I'm also confident he was well aware what he was walking into. He would have a manager who would know the goings on here, even a simple google search would tell him Pay was unlikely to be around and the general unhappiness of fans with the board etc.
Your correct there was a release fee, I heard it was a refund based on what he had earned that season from St Helens to date, The dogs did the big sell on Thompson and he bit, he had the choice of 7 NRL clubs inc the Roosters, 3 off them we’re better offers, Fact !, but he always wanted to come to us because he wanted to make a difference, he has been completely hyped up for other people needs and has been badly let down and hung out to dry by being dropped this weekend against his wishes he had no part in that statement today from club, girlfriend, has he got one ?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely resting him and giving him more time to sit around doing nothing is not a good idea! He was dropped because he wasnt playing well enough (although he would still be better than Britt and Tolman). Surely playing each week with a purpose of winning and improving would be good for his state of mind.
He may come good with a full pre season in Australian conditions with a good team of coaches around him but the signs are not encouraging.
For those saying that this sort of thing wouldnt happen with a Peter Moore at the helm - an English player, Doug Laughtin (something like that) came out played a game or two and left without telling anyone whilst Moore was in charge.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your correct there was a release fee, I heard it was a refund based on what he had earned that season from St Helens to date, The dogs did the big sell on Thompson and he bit, he had the choice of 7 NRL clubs inc the Roosters, 3 off them we’re better offers, Fact !, but he always wanted to come to us because he wanted to make a difference, he has been completely hyped up for other people needs and has been badly let down and hung out to dry by being dropped this weekend against his wishes he had no part in that statement today from club, girlfriend, has he got one ?
how can you know all that but not know whether hes got a missus or not? lol

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Whats your point, did i say it wasnt difficult?
Always looking to start shit
You said, “Thompson homesick lol”
I don’t get why it’s so funny

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Seriously tho if he wants to go just let him go! We’ve been fucked around by players for far too long. Take his money and give it to someone who actually wants to be part of the club.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And people bag out his form. Kudos to him doing what he’s doing. I know I couldn’t.
I have personally done it numerous leaving everyone behind and working away from home in the most rural of areas. It is fukn hard.. makes U a stronger person when U break through but I'd be lying if I was to say U don't question your life situation.

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He goes ok. Had half a dozen games to show what he’s got. Good on his feet with some speed. Only positive to his game appears to be a quick play the ball. At this stage I think we can spend his money elsewhere for better value. Not overly concerned if he leaves.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have personally done it numerous leaving everyone behind and working away from home in the most rural of areas. It is fukn hard.. makes U a stronger person when U break through but I'd be lying if I was to say U don't question your life situation.
Definitely mate. The week off will help him decide what he wants to do. I read the article about Hymel Hunt last week and it’s something for people calling him a soft cock to reflect on

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I call BS on better offers than what the Bulldogs offered him. Where are your sources?
He wanted to come to us because he wanted to make a difference? LOLLLLLL who is he mother Teresa?

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? How many kids leave their homes to try get a better education and have to work shitty part time jobs on the side just so they can afford food? How many blokes go off and work FIFO doing 70 hour weeks in the middle of the desert? How many navy personnel are stuck on a ship for months and months having to share a small cabin with 2-3 others? You make it sound like he's working 80 hour weeks for minimum wage.....
I mean I understand it must be tough but at the end of the day he's a very highly paid professional and he's not the only one doing it tough in 2020...
He’s moved halfway around the world to a different country with no friends or family. He can’t leave his house to explore and look around. I understand there’s guys doing FIFO and I admire that. But they go home after two weeks and spend a week with there loved ones. When there home they can get out and see friends and family.

I feel for the bloke, and people jumping on him cos he hasn’t hit the ground running. Give him a break. If I were him i’d have already left tbh.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I call BS on better offers than what the Bulldogs offered him. Where are your sources?
He wanted to come to us because he wanted to make a difference? LOLLLLLL who is he mother Teresa?
Point taken ! Maybe make a difference was the wrong wording, he wanted to come to the club that was rebuilding and be a part of it !
My source, no BS

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury has a huge problem on its hands.
Star English recruit Luke Thompson is suffering significant emotional stress that has some fearing he may want to go home.

It is related to being so far away from his loved ones during the COVID lockdown
And it has got to the point where there are genuine concerns whether Thompson will last living in Australia long term.
It hasn’t been helped by the fact Thompson’s girlfriend has been unable to join him because of the international border restrictions.

After being “rested” for the Bulldogs’ clash against Canberra this week, chief executive Andrew Hill confirmed that the man who arrived in Australia with a rating as the world’s best prop was “doing it tough”.

There is even talk that Gold Coast is watching on with interest because Justin Holbrook was his coach at St Helens.
At this point, Thompson’s plight has not even made its way back home to St Helens. But he is struggling to adjust to life in the NRL in the incredibly difficult period of isolation.

“At the moment we can’t get his girlfriend out, so it is absolutely right, he is doing it tough,” Hill said. “He is in the bubble. He can’t leave home.

“He goes home to training, training to home, home training seven days a week.

“And he doesn’t live with anyone and he is in a new country. So, yes, it is tough for him.

“But we are working hard to try and get his partner out.”
Asked if he feared Thompson wanted to go home permanently, Hill added: “No, I have been talking to him. He is committed.

“He is looking forward to the challenge and settling in. And part of giving him a week off is trying to freshen that up and at least try and let him break the cycle a little.”

News Corp was also told Thompson hasn’t been completely happy with the situation he has walked into following Dean Pay’s sacking. The fact Trent Barrett won’t be joining the club until next year after he finishes his duties at Penrith is also another issue.

Thompson still has three more years to run on his contract with the Bulldogs following this season. But his form since arriving hasn’t lived up to the hype, and no doubt his personal situation wouldn’t have helped
Hill said the Bulldogs were doing everything in their power to try to help him through.

“It is tough for everyone in the bubble,” Hill said. “It is tough enough for people who have got family but if you are here by yourself, it has been tough going.

“It has been a challenging seven weeks living away from family and loved ones in another country and then in a bubble condition. We just have to keep working with him.”

Thompson had planned to return to England after the season but even that is now in doubt because of the border restrictions.

“Unfortunately you just can’t get on a plane and go,” Hill said.
Sorry Titans if he's homesick he better go home not to another club, another club with an bottomless salary cap.