News The Bulldogs are freed of Barrett’s ‘shackles’... key roster calls could finally wake NRL’s sleeping giant

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Speaking last week though, Burton said the uncertainty around the club’s coaching situation would not have any bearing on that decision.

“No, definitely not,” the 22-year-old said.

“We’re sticking together as a playing group. We want to stay tight. That other stuff will (take care) of itself.”

Sounds promising to me :grinning:

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking last week though, Burton said the uncertainty around the club’s coaching situation would not have any bearing on that decision.

“No, definitely not,” the 22-year-old said.

“We’re sticking together as a playing group. We want to stay tight. That other stuff will (take care) of itself.”

Sounds promising to me :grinning:
where’d you hear this? where can i watch it/read it

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanagan's engaging the line much more to his credit...not effectively yet though.
JMK's service is looking sharper too. This sites going to melt down if Mahoney doesn't deliver next year and JMK kicks up a gear.
JMK doing a Licha. It’s a contract year for him and he needed to land a new gig which he did. But he’s had 5 years with us and been bog average at best. He’s had lots of chances. Move him on.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't have the polish to construct points when working closer to the line yet. Things like Flanagan not engaging the line, poor linkup play between the spine, forwards not running the best lines, lack of timing, etc just make it too hard to break down teams when working with limited time and space. That isn't so much of an issue when attacking from deeper positions where you have more time to work with and we can rely on our ball movement to create space for our key players to attack.
Makes a lot of sense, we're effectively playing to our strengths and attacking capability. What you mention is probably what Barrett was attempting to do with us, but without any success.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Poor Baz. Every couple of weeks these attacking stat articles come out. Who the fuck is going to hire him as an assistant coach now or even as an attack coach? Potter has exposed him for the fraud he was and has effectively ended his coaching career

And to think if Potter was coach from Rd 1 we would be comfortably in the 8 this year.......fuck you Baz.
It's remarkable that we didn't need a change of personnel to achieve this turnaround. Coaches are always quick to blame the roster when a team goes on a losing streak. Even Bellamy commented a few weeks ago in the depths of Storms despair, that he didn't know whether or not he actually had the players to turn it around, and start winning again.
So couldn't Gould see from early in the season that the players weren't the problem, it was the way they were being coached.
After failing miserably last year, Barrett turned up this year with EXACTLY the same plan and coaching style that failed last year. Blind Freddy could see in the trial we lost to the Sharks 36-6 or something, that our attack still had no idea, and our defence wasn't working as a unit. Gould persisted in backing Barrett until the Board made the call that he must resign if he wants his full contract honoured.
I doubt the players attitude changed with the change in coach, other than to feel freedom and to be more confident. Yet their performances have improved weekly.
While I was a Shane Flanagan accolite to replace Barrett, I and I think the majority of Dogs supporters want the Club to appoint Potter as Head Coach for 2 to 3 years. The question now is when will this be done? Why go in another direction, confusing the players again?....what?...to be coached the Penrith way again?No Thanks.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I get that it could be very damaging to again take this playing group in another direction. I suppose the real question is ? Do we just want to win a few games or shot at GF.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are must see tv these days (funny how things change )

So good watching us with the early shifts in our own 20

Razzle dazzle !!

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL’s sleeping giant will return to its rightful place can’t wait to show the comp the real entertainers it’s been way to long we’re hungry as a fan base. 2024 Bulldogs premiers calling it now!

B-Town Lad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wow we really were spinning our tyres under Barret thank fk he’s out

We will be a force next year. Also hearing Gus looking to bring Connelly Lemuelu back to the club next year great depth signing

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wow we really were spinning our tyres under Barret thank fk he’s out

We will be a force next year. Also hearing Gus looking to bring Connelly Lemuelu back to the club next year great depth signing
He’s signed with the Dolphins, dave and omar been providing u with the goods at the bong greening sesh i see.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciraldo as defensive coach and potter as attacking coach.
Top 4 thank you very much!
My understanding is Craig Sandercock has been a huge influence on the attacking structures since Barrett left.

People questioning our assistant coaches ( myself included) under Barrett. However by the sounds of it Barrett was 100% focused on his plan and his ideas. Not willing to listen to his assistants thoughts or advice.

The first thing Potter did when he arrived was to ask the existing coaching team for input and it was GravelyDick that has been a big influence behind the scenes.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We don't have the polish to construct points when working closer to the line yet. Things like Flanagan not engaging the line, poor linkup play between the spine, forwards not running the best lines, lack of timing, etc just make it too hard to break down teams when working with limited time and space. That isn't so much of an issue when attacking from deeper positions where you have more time to work with and we can rely on our ball movement to create space for our key players to attack.
You know your sh!t, summed up to perfection.
Flanno not engaging the line hurts us most although he’s digging deeper into the line than a few months ago - he’s also taking on the line more. What I don’t understand with him is he obviously doesn’t like the contact with ball in hand yet puts his body in front of a lot of heavy traffic, big boppers are running at him all day. Maybe it’s the fear of getting hit late without protection? I don’t know.

What has been working well for us close to the line are blind side plays, short kicks for the Fox and JMK show and go - But, we need to find easier points through our block play sets and that can only happen if Flanno is passing as he’s getting tackled not 2-3 meters away from the defender, allows them to slide and cover.

Reactions: CMP