News The Bulldogs’ one MAJOR recruitment error in 2021

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I am in your court old panther. The rules allowing players to sign more than 12 months in advance are a load of tosh.

Allegedly they were put in place to allow players moving to a remote club well away from Sydney such as the Warriors or the Cowgirls plenty of time to organise housing possible schooling for their kids and be ready for the start of pre season training.

There needs to be tinkering with this rule.

Fans of EVERY club hate it when they see a player in their jersey that they know won't be there in 12 months time.

Penrith have every right to hold Burton to his contract. As much as I hate to agree with Gus this stand off might hurt them down the track if they want to bring Burton back.

This mess of signing players a year in advance really needs to be sorted out between the NRL and the Players Association and written into the Collevtive Bargaining Agreenent so shifty and dodgy managers don't have as much say as they seem to have at the moment.

It also shows how inept previous NRL admunistrations were and it is yet to be proved if the current one is good enough to fix the problem.
Any ideas on what could be done to fix it?

It's so ad hoc and hit and miss now.

Tutty and Hill are long gone...could a draft be re-introduced to sort this.

The NFL and AFL get great publicity and interest out of the process.

Time for league to look at it again?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem I have with a draft is that it discourages junior development by the NRL clubs

two trade windows would seem a better option

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hows he gonna be after keeping his head down after say 20 weeks of reserve grade.
I honestly hope for a few injuries in the panthers halves, not to wish harm to anyone but for Burton to get at least 20 plus games of FG experience before he arrives at the dogs.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
the problem I have with a draft is that it discourages junior development by the NRL clubs

two trade windows would seem a better option
Is that what happens in AFL tho?

Could NRL mandate x amount must be spent on juniors ready for trade?

What time table are you figuring with 2 trade windows?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Any ideas on what could be done to fix it?

It's so ad hoc and hit and miss now.

Tutty and Hill are long gone...could a draft be re-introduced to sort this.

The NFL and AFL get great publicity and interest out of the process.

Time for league to look at it again?
Wendog I have always favoured a draft and trade system as used in other sports. As you say Tutty and Hill are long gone.

It works in the AFL because it is part of the CBA and part of that is an agreement not to challenge it in court.

I can't see NRL players and Managers agreeing to this

We all talk about losing Thurston in 2005. Had a draft been in place then either a Cowboys player a draft pick or picks or a combination of both would have come our way.

We ended up with nothing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I am in your court old panther. The rules allowing players to sign more than 12 months in advance are a load of tosh.

Allegedly they were put in place to allow players moving to a remote club well away from Sydney such as the Warriors or the Cowgirls plenty of time to organise housing possible schooling for their kids and be ready for the start of pre season training.

There needs to be tinkering with this rule.

Fans of EVERY club hate it when they see a player in their jersey that they know won't be there in 12 months time.

Penrith have every right to hold Burton to his contract. As much as I hate to agree with Gus this stand off might hurt them down the track if they want to bring Burton back.

This mess of signing players a year in advance really needs to be sorted out between the NRL and the Players Association and written into the Collevtive Bargaining Agreenent so shifty and dodgy managers don't have as much say as they seem to have at the moment.

It also shows how inept previous NRL admunistrations were and it is yet to be proved if the current one is good enough to fix the problem.
So how long before should a player be allowed to sign with their new club?

Is it 9 months, so we know when the season starts that he is moving at the end of October? Great way to kick the season off with players announcing that they are leaving.

Is it 6 months, so we know a couple of rounds in, in April that he’s moving at the end of October? Nice Easter present for us fans, just getting used to the team and we find out who’s moving on.

Is it 3 months, so we know he’s moving with a few rounds to go before the finals? Great way to upset the teams must win games at the end of season.

Is it 1 month, so we know he’s moving while the finals are on? Is there a worse time that this?

Or do we want the impossible and every player signs in the 3 weeks between the GF and the 1st November? Keeping in mind that’s on average 10 NRL players per team, that 160 players, all negotiating and signing contracts then registering them with the NRL. Very practical.

Sure we all don’t like players signing 12 months beforehand, but are the alternatives any better, I think not. In fact most are far worse for us fans.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I honestly hope for a few injuries in the panthers halves, not to wish harm to anyone but for Burton to get at least 20 plus games of FG experience before he arrives at the dogs.
Well yes.
Penrith have their priorities and contract...but that's ours for our 2022 player...that he gets fg games in 2021.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"It makes the dogs look desperate whether they are or not."

We are the good guys here :grinning:

We are desperate, yes...to give a player who looks like he is a very gifted player a chance to begin his first grade journey towards higher honours and a long fg career.

We will probably see that he will likely quickly surpass Luai in status in the game.

League needs more of these players to excite fans of the game and not have them foolishly languishing in reserve grade.
He's definitely going to be a top 5 half.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Is it 9 months, so we know when the season starts that he is moving at the end of October? Great way to kick the season off with players announcing that they are leaving.

Is it 6 months, so we know a couple of rounds in, in April that he’s moving at the end of October? Nice Easter present for us fans, just getting used to the team and we find out who’s moving on.

Is it 3 months, so we know he’s moving with a few rounds to go before the finals? Great way to upset the teams must win games at the end of season.

Is it 1 month, so we know he’s moving while the finals are on? Is there a worse time that this?

Or do we want the impossible and every player signs in the 3 weeks between the GF and the 1st November? Keeping in mind that’s on average 10 NRL players per team, that 160 players, all negotiating and signing contracts then registering them with the NRL. Very practical.

Sure we all don’t like players signing 12 months beforehand, but are the alternatives any better, I think not. In fact most are far worse for us fans.

Go Dogs
Tough one hey.

Have a look at the other teams rosters. A lot have near as many, or more, off contract as us this year.

It's going to be a blood bath soon of "less than elite players" coming off contract.

The decent ones will be inundated with inflated offers you'd expect.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
We can suggest whatever we like but the NRL created this mess and it is up to them to fix it.

Yes a draft can make it hard to sign your own juniors but when you lose a gun player the mechanisms are there to replace him. Maybe you won't get an immediate result with a star player but 2 to 3 years down the track you might. Seen it happen in afl many time.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that what happens in AFL tho?

Could NRL mandate x amount must be spent on juniors ready for trade?

What time table are you figuring with 2 trade windows?
not really an authority on the AFL but I was thinking something along the lines of the NBA with a mid season trade window of say 1-2 weeks and an end of season trade period of say a month

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bro I’m with you. These dogs fans are coloured in their perception of they think that beyond 12 months this will linger. It’s simple really. Yo I guys want to trade so we should step up.
Let’s just be real like homie to homie. You guys need to negotiate in real terms. Yo I want Napa? You can have him but at least pitch up 250. Then we play ball.
Ps. I want Panthers to win this year. The dogs van have 2022 onward but 2021 I endorse you as the winner. F* these ayri’s who badmouth the panthers this year.
The panthers are too cocky Sheed. I hope they fall short again this year. What happened to your rabbits?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
not really an authority on the AFL but I was thinking something along the lines of the NBA with a mid season trade window of say 1-2 weeks and an end of season trade period of say a month
All ideas should be canvassed to try and improve the situation.

If I was a player manager, with a young promising player just starting out, I'd draw up contracts for 3 years with last year as player option.

Then if they have proved they have what it takes, they can move on if the original club can't look after them or fit them in.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All ideas should be canvassed to try and improve the situation.

If I was a player manager, with a young promising player just starting out, I'd draw up contracts for 3 years with last year as player option.

Then if they have proved they have what it takes, they can move on if the original club can't look after them or fit them in.
the NBA allows for restricted free agents allowing players to negotiate with other teams but giving their current team the option to match what other teams are offering and in so doing retain the player if they want/can

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
the NBA allows for restricted free agents allowing players to negotiate with other teams but giving their current team the option to match what other teams are offering and in so doing retain the player if they want/can
Dont know amything about the NBA :grinning:

And if they can't match? And

Who decides the availability of the restricted free agent?

Maybe we should have all players not just registered by the NRL but registered too the NRL and those negotiations to move go thru them? They'd be kind of indentured to their current club?

Could keep a proper eye on the SC then if they insist on keeping it. And also a workable draft.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thought it was going to be about a hooker