News The best is yet to come for Wakeham: Henderson

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach Brad Henderson has given a glowing appraisal of young halfback Brandon Wakeham saying his abundance of self-confidence will put him in perfect stead to enjoy a successful NRL career.

Wakeham has enjoyed a strong start to life as a professional footballer since his NRL debut in Round 15 last year and is a graduate from the Bulldog’s UNE Harold Matthews, UNE SG Ball, and Youth High Performance teams.

He has also been a core part of the NSWRL’s Pathways system in recent years and Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler earmarked the 21-year-old as one to watch in the future.

Never been one to take a backward step against his opponents, Wakeham has the makings of a future superstar in Rugby League, according to his Canterbury Cup NSW Coach.

“It’s all attitude with Brandon, and with all due respect and in the nicest possible way – he just has so much attitude and so much confidence,” Henderson told The Short Side Podcast.

“He’s in the moment of every moment of the game, and he tries as hard as he can.

“Whether it be trying to get under the skin of the opposition…but he’s quite a composed kid.

"In those tough moments, when the game is on the line, he wants the footy and that’s a good sign."

Although just playing three NRL games in 2019, Wakeham earned representative honours with Fiji at the end of the season and his impressive form in their three consecutive victories saw him named on the shortlist for the coveted Golden Boot Award.

Henderson says the experience within the representative arena has given the young star more confidence in his own playing ability and he will be primed to build on his five NRL appearances when the competition returns on 28 May.

“You can see him grow a leg when playing for Fiji (after) surrounding himself with all those quality footballers and getting that exposure," he said.

“It’s added to, in the last couple of years, some good games in Canterbury Cup NSW, and an NRL debut.

“It’s all part of his development and I think with Brandon if we can stay patient with him, the best is yet to come.

“I’m really excited for him too because he’s just a quality kid and he’s a player that all the boys really want to play with, that’s for sure.”

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2020/...stown-bulldogs-nrl-season-canterbury-cup-nsw/

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He's one of the 1 or 2 players that I believe will step up out of the 4 or 5 promising younger players we have currently.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I was Wakeham I wouldn’t be sticking around. The club is going out of their way to hinder his and Averillo’s development by trying to sign players like Reynolds.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look forward to watching Wakeham and Averillo progress I think they can both be great for the club.
I can't wait either. Particularly Wakeham as I feel he's a young guy who knows how to control game time situations.
On a side note if we needed a mentor on the field I would stick with Foran on reduced income than going back with Reynolds.
Both injury prone but one can play real football.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The best is yet to come.... So why hasn't he been re-signed?

Meanwhile they re-signed Lewis before they needed to and seem to be chasing Reynolds. So they rate Wakeham third after those two. Figures..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Averilo looks more talented than Wakeham.....
Averillo looks special, genuine footballer with both the running game and ball skills to consistently pressure the defence from numerous positions on the field. Wakeham on the other hand is more suited to the troublesome halfback role that has been underdeveloped in the NRL for years and in the end neglected.

Ideal situation is that they both come good because on paper they compliment each other's games extremely well. Really hope the club backs them and goes into the market and recruits players to aid their development instead of chasing deadshit recruits like Reynolds because "BuLlDoGs DnA".

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Maybe they're chasing Reynolds to play hooker?

We need to use this season to see if Wakeham and Cogger have it. If they can't perform then move onto someone else.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Does at this point yes moe dog

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo looks special, genuine footballer with both the running game and ball skills to consistently pressure the defence from numerous positions on the field. Wakeham on the other hand is more suited to the troublesome halfback role that has been underdeveloped in the NRL for years and in the end neglected.

Ideal situation is that they both come good because on paper they compliment each other's games extremely well. Really hope the club backs them and goes into the market and recruits players to aid their development instead of chasing deadshit recruits like Reynolds because "BuLlDoGs DnA".
We potentially have a great halves pairing for the next decade. This should be priority, as you say strengthen some positions around the two which would compliment there game. Once you have an established set of halves who excel, that’s when you get signings cheaper as they want to play alongside them.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Said it a number of times, Wakeham and Averillo are our future halves pairing.
Hopefully they get a shot together to prove themselves.
Foran If fit this year will play.

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score
If I was Wakeham I wouldn’t be sticking around. The club is going out of their way to hinder his and Averillo’s development by trying to sign players like Reynolds.
I think the club is going to do the right thing by these guys and put some experience and some passion around them.
For the right price, Reynolds wouldn't be a bad signing (especially if the tigers are chipping in) at hooker. Reynolds to rotate with JMK. Less time on the field to give them some juice to attack.

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think the club is going to do the right thing by these guys and put some experience and some passion around them.
For the right price, Reynolds wouldn't be a bad signing (especially if the tigers are chipping in) at hooker. Reynolds to rotate with JMK. Less time on the field to give them some juice to attack.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reynolds is hardly a steadying influence when he’s on the field and can’t control himself let alone pass on experience to younger players. There’s no point helping the Tigers clear cap space when we couldn’t use Reynolds at hooker anyway because his shoulders are cactus. It would be a terrible signing.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe they're chasing Reynolds to play hooker?

We need to use this season to see if Wakeham and Cogger have it. If they can't perform then move onto someone else.
reynolds body cant handle the tackling of no9

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can see us pushing him to a rival club and he coming back to haunt us