The Aerosexual Thread

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No one has any idea if he is right but I guess that’s the trick to it.
Flightradar24 :-).
No I hear you mate, there’s some Aerosexuals who are true tragics - I even had one bloke with me one day point out a Jetstar flight going somewhere and wondering why it was an A321 instead of the usual A320. Shock! Horror! :tearsofjoy:.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Got to play in the flight simulators many times at Mascot. All of this has long long off the cards since September 11
The good old days.
I’ll never forget sitting in the flight deck of a Qantas B747 between Bangkok and London in 2000 when my mates brother was FO on QF1.
We were flying above a thunderstorm.
As you said after 9/11 that was gone forever :(.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did a flight in 2012 in a little fucker of a plane around, as it was called at the time, Mt McKinley, now called Denali, in Alaska. It was so huge, it constantly looked like you were going to crash into it. This is a glacier on top of the fucker. In reality, we were about 2k's from it .

d.png

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was looking dreaming of possibly future trips la to seatle 35hrs train stay 2 days aviation museum, seatle to dc 65 hrs aviation museum fly back la home ,I could do that on a sleeper car with a few bottles of whiskey
The Coast Starlight LA-Seattle has the reputation of the best Amtrak train and service. Very scenic - Big Sur, San Francisco, Cascades, and you go past their active volcano belt, St. Helens and Rayonier.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The good old days.
I’ll never forget sitting in the flight deck of a Qantas B747 between Bangkok and London in 2000 when my mates brother was FO on QF1.
We were flying above a thunderstorm.
As you said after 9/11 that was gone forever :(.
I was on a Singapore Airlines 707 in 1974, when we were hit by a big cyclone off the coast of Australia. The pilot tried to climb over it, but in the end had to just plough through.

Very rough - overhead lockers burst open and luggage fell out. They stopped serving meals to prevent accidents, but some meals had been served before the pilot called them to stop - coffee cups and plates were crashing all around - the wings were moving up and down like we were a bird. Fuselage twisted one way, then the next; and my seat felt like we were bush bashing at 900 kmh. Went on for 40 minutes, then the calm in the eye of the cyclone, and it started all over again.

I was impressed with how well the craft held together, with no structural or engine damage. The interior looked like an ad for the world's worse airline. The crew were fantastic, and calm throughout the ordeal.

I'd been through thunderstorms in little planes like Piper Cherokees, so the bouncing around was not a worry for me, but to see a big plane thrown around like that was really something.

Had a few bumpy trips through thunder storms over India in A380s, but they are more stable.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
South Pole!
I did a flight over Antarctica in a chartered Qantas 747. Fantastic trip.

Because of the Air NZ accident, where their plane flew into Mt. Erebus, we had to keep to a higher elevation, but the scenery was still spectacular.
We could easily see Mawson's hut, the Merz glacier, penguin rookeries, and the Antarctic Range. On the approach, there were massive icebergs in all hues of blue.

While I don't get airsick, I do suffer badly from sea sickness - I get seasick on wet grass. We crossed the Roaring Forties, Furious Fifties, and Shrieking Sixties - the ocean rolls around at those latitudes without touching land, and the swells build up to huge heights. Not something I want to do by boat.
Have a mate who was crew on the Antarctic supply ship, Aurora Australis. He loved it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We did a flight in 2012 in a little fucker of a plane around, as it was called at the time, Mt McKinley, now called Denali, in Alaska. It was so huge, it constantly looked like you were going to crash into it. This is a glacier on top of the fucker. In reality, we were about 2k's from it .

View attachment 21202
Highest mountain in the USA. It was actually Denali before it was McKinley. The Alaska railroad runs a few kilometres away, and offers views of the mountain, and crosses Hurricane Gulch on a high spidery trestle.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was on a Singapore Airlines 707 in 1974, when we were hit by a big cyclone off the coast of Australia. The pilot tried to climb over it, but in the end had to just plough through.

Very rough - overhead lockers burst open and luggage fell out. They stopped serving meals to prevent accidents, but some meals had been served before the pilot called them to stop - coffee cups and plates were crashing all around - the wings were moving up and down like we were a bird. Fuselage twisted one way, then the next; and my seat felt like we were bush bashing at 900 kmh. Went on for 40 minutes, then the calm in the eye of the cyclone, and it started all over again.

I was impressed with how well the craft held together, with no structural or engine damage. The interior looked like an ad for the world's worse airline. The crew were fantastic, and calm throughout the ordeal.

I'd been through thunderstorms in little planes like Piper Cherokees, so the bouncing around was not a worry for me, but to see a big plane thrown around like that was really something.

Had a few bumpy trips through thunder storms over India in A380s, but they are more stable.
Yeah the big craft are pretty well suited to handling those weather systems and have a few items to assist including lightning diffusers that stop lightning dancing across the wings and unnecessarily alarming passengers. The number of times airframes get struck by lightning (a lot higher than most would assume) is testament to how strong they are. Crew are generally very professional and calming too but as you experienced there can still be issues. Non weather related but I remember landing in Singapore once and they had forgotten to secure a shelf of plates and glasses and it ended up like that scene from Titanic - hope they didn’t dock their pay :-):
925CE2CA-304C-4D9F-8B9C-0D2328B30745.jpeg

ED9BCB33-E212-4367-B5F6-7468D696FAA4.jpeg

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I did a flight over Antarctica in a chartered Qantas 747. Fantastic trip.

Because of the Air NZ accident, where their plane flew into Mt. Erebus, we had to keep to a higher elevation, but the scenery was still spectacular.
We could easily see Mawson's hut, the Merz glacier, penguin rookeries, and the Antarctic Range. On the approach, there were massive icebergs in all hues of blue.

While I don't get airsick, I do suffer badly from sea sickness - I get seasick on wet grass. We crossed the Roaring Forties, Furious Fifties, and Shrieking Sixties - the ocean rolls around at those latitudes without touching land, and the swells build up to huge heights. Not something I want to do by boat.
Have a mate who was crew on the Antarctic supply ship, Aurora Australis. He loved it.
Sounds fantastic.. My friend had a cruise to Antartica..had a swim in the water..got on the ice.. She was early 70s at the time. Ended knocked bum over head when she crossed Drake’s passage..Blacked her eye and knocked her out.. Other than that she loved it! She also went to the other place I’d love to go..the Galápagos Islands. She loved loved that too!!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I would of cried myself to death

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah the big craft are pretty well suited to handling those weather systems and have a few items to assist including lightning diffusers that stop lightning dancing across the wings and unnecessarily alarming passengers. The number of times airframes get struck by lightning (a lot higher than most would assume) is testament to how strong they are. Crew are generally very professional and calming too but as you experienced there can still be issues. Non weather related but I remember landing in Singapore once and they had forgotten to secure a shelf of plates and glasses and it ended up like that scene from Titanic - hope they didn’t dock their pay :-):
View attachment 21206
View attachment 21208
Actually heard a Singapore hostess swear out loud when she dropped a plate in the galley. Not something I'd ever expect from a glamorous hostess.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

rainbow.jpg

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

View attachment 21448
That's Southy farting while piloting.... lol